Sunday, December 20, 2009

A Challenge To Blog Readers & Posters!

HELP EVERYONE! With me already updating you daily on my life last and with all the reality shows' finals done and in the bank I am going to need your help. Because this most likely will be an uneventful, boring post I need you all to make the blog exciting today by updating me on your life! Come on now, bring some excitement to this blog, you can do it!

The answer to yesterday's Who Am I was the late and great and absolutely beautiful Jennifer Jones.

My life last week you already know about. Extreme fear on Monday. Finding on later that day that I am in better shape than I thought. Tuesday a day of rest. Wednesday Mom to lunch. Thursday housecleaning and also discovering a secret that the family kept from me. Friday the results of the stress test. By the way when I took the stress test on Monday my sister was with me the entire time. All three and half hours of it. And Friday when I got the results Mom was there. Sister was busy unloading the Vans that arrived from Utah Friday. Mom didn't want me to go alone for the results so she went with me. I am usually the supporter in the family but it was really nice to be the supported this week.

What is on the agenda? Today it is breakfast with the boys and one of the boys will be my brother. He and his wife are visiting from Wyoming. I haven't seen him in quite a while so this will be a really nice reconnection. Monday I have a lunch with one of my favorite women. A former business associate that along with her husband have become friends. I am really looking forward to it. Tuesday it is errand day for Mom. Wednesday I get to meet my sister's son-in-law. Niece and husband are visiting from Utah. Thursday is the biggest darn Christmas celebration that we have had in ages. This is the first time in over five years that all three siblings have been together during the holidays. At Christmas Eve dinner will be Mom, Sister, Brother-in-law, Brother, Sister-in-law, Sister's daughter and husband, Brother's Son and his wife and two of their children, Brother's youngest daughter and her husband and two kids and myself. How many is that? Seventeen. I bought the two hams for the feast. Now for that evening my job is stay out of the kitchen and get out of sister and mom's way while they cook Christmas Eve dinner. We always celebrate Christmas on Christmas Eve. On Christmas Day we all just chill and relax. I, for some strange reason, am looking forward to the Christmas Eve family get together. Since I am the off center one in the family sometimes I really don't look forward to relative gatherings because I feel like an outcast. This time I decided to embrace my outcastness. I am going to be me and enjoying them for who they are!

When do you celebrate Christmas? Eve or Day or both? What is on the agenda this week for you? And give me an exciting update! The blog is now yours!

8 comments:

Pat said...

My week will not be nearly as eventful as yours, because all the little preliminary festivities are over. I have Monday and Tuesday to get ready for a visit from daughter and son-in-law, and I shall be very, very busy those two days doing all the stuff I have let slide. Package wrapping and housecleaning top the list of those things, with some shopping and meal planning taking up the rear.

We open our gifts on Christmas day, with sometimes one small one allowed on Christmas Eve.

The big party where my mom lives is over already, so we'll just drop by with a few gifts on Christmas day. She keeps wondering abut all the decorations that have appeared there, and has to be reminded that it's the Christmas season. One of the staff gave her a gorgeous pashmina shawl that I totally covet, and I know others will get her makeup and nail polish and hair ornaments. They love to gussy her up and fool with her hair, which has gotten quite long. One is a whiz at doing braids, and is teaching another staff member, who's doing very well at it now. When I visit, I can tell who's working by how intricate the hair arrangement is. I'm not sure she knows what they are doing when they do her hair, but she enjoys the attention.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I am glad you have a couple of days to clear the deck and get get ready for your visitors!

I like the idea of opening a little gift on Christmas Eve and the majority on Christmas Day!

The shawl sounds beautiful! The staff where you Mom is always amazes me.

Bill

dona said...

My week isn't as exciting as what I am reading so far, but Here goes.

How do I celebrate Christmas? Well for as long as I can remember I have come to my mom & dad's home and then made sure to visit with my favorite Aunt all the while eating and passing out gifts. After my brother started his family he was there as well. But since I lost my mother and favorite Aunt right before & after Christmas, things have sort of been up in the air for plans. Dad doesn't like to decorate for holidays and there really isn't room here. So I just sort of rely on going somewhere else the past 6 years. The first couple years my child, dad and myself gathered at my brother's home for eats and gift giving. Then last year the Shankster and I became Grandparents so we skipped the brother meal and had a nice dinner and afternoon visit on Christmas Day with our boys and new grandbabies. (Dad went to Brother's)

This year again things are crazy so we are trying to adapt to whatever the kids schedules are. We plan to spend Christmas Eve with one boy and grandchild, & Christmas day is still open at my brother's so I may spend some time there with my dad & later visit with the other boy. Whew.

We don't usually get much in the way of gifts anymore, but children and dad always come first. I love to bake as well as eat and will get into the fun with baking lots of goodies like zucchini bread from the zucchini I grew in the summer along with Rice Krispie Treats, Peanut Butter Fudge, Easy Cheesy Lemon Bars and surely some brownies! (my fav) (by the way the baking is what I will probably be doing most of the week)

So if any of you are in my area and would like a slice of zucchini bread stop on by, there will be plenty.

dona said...

Oh and Pat, I have heard about those shawls but have never seen one. What a nice staff there to give such a nice gift, along with taking the time to braid her hair and such. Sounds like a really nice place.

dona said...

Oh and Bill, I love ham.

ok I'm done now.

William J. said...

Hi Dona

I thought the post was very exciting!

They had a special on hams this week at the expensive local grocery store called Haggens. Their normal over four dollar pount hams were on sale for 1.77 a pound. Honey cured, smoked! Bought two them. 10.42 lbs, 7.85. So when do I pick you and The Shankster up at the airport?

I can understand your dad not liking to decorate.

I'd want to be with my grandkids on Christmas too! That is if I had any.

You are going to be one exhausted woman after the holidays! We also don't do many gifts either. One boy gift for the boys, one woman gift for the woman, then it is just grab bag.

Peanut butter fudge? OK, strike what I said earlier, can you pick me up at the airport?

Bill

PS

I like that you opened up and was kind of said when you were done!

Lady DR said...

I dunno, Bill, your week and upcoming sound pretty exciting to me! I'm so glad Sis was with you Monday and Mom insisted on going Friday. Time someone took care of you a little! Your Christmas week sounds pretty exciting, too, especially with so much family together, after so long apart. Enjoy!

My week wasn't too exciting, especially since the line dance shows were cancelled, but I did do some elf work. Worked Monday and Tuesday and got Himself ready to leave on the hunting trip. Wednesday I donned my Santa suit for LD class and was disruptive, passing out candy to dancers and the Sr Action Staff. Did get all the packages out on Tuesday. THursday and Friday I worked. Friday was Double Nasty with weather - high winds, 40 mph gusts, rain to sleet and ice, 9 hour power outage (fortunately from about midnight to 10:00 am, so I could hunker under blankets and cuddle with critters, but was ready to kill for a cup of hot coffee and some heat by the time the power came on). Did fifteen dozen or more cookies and two pans of brownies yesterday, finished the frosting and decorating this morning and took five big plates to the folks Mom always gave Christmas cookies to at the apartment. (Nope, don't care to see a cookie for a while). Elf duties are done, except for taking a plate of cookies to Tom and Clarrisa tomorrow.

Looking at a quiet week. I finished a project on Friday night and decided to take the next week off for just me. Not sure what I'll do with it, but it's mine. Don't know what we're doing for Christmas dinner. I'd thought ham, but that's all Himself had to eat for four days on the hunting trip. Pondering. It will be just the two of us this year, for the first time in five years.

Joe (the guy who got Mom's apartment, with some intervention from us) says she left it possessed. He's got a tree and decorations up for the first time in seven years and, feeling he must honor her tradition, is having an open house on Wednesday and called to be sure I could come. (There really are some nice folks there.) His hope is to get several who knew Mom together and call her In AZ so all can wish her a Merry Christmas. I've alerted Deb to make sure Mom's home and up, but not why.

We do Christmas gifts on Christmas Day, usually after our meal. When we were kids, we were allowed to open one small gift on Christmas Eve, selected by Mom and Daddy. Like you, not a lot of gifts, but always fun to see what's in the packages.

Pat, agree with the others that it's so nice the folks at LC take such good care of your mom and obviously care about her. I know you're looking forard to time with Dave and Akkana - Enjoy!

Dona, I hear you on the confusion about Christmas. Hope you enjoy time with the boys and grandkids. Or. you could hop a plane and come here and stay in the "guest house," if it all seems to convoluted at home

If I don't talk to some of you in the next few days, have the Happiest of Holidays!

William J. said...

Hi DR!

It is so hard for me to accept help, I really discouraged both my Mom and sis from going with me but they didn't listen. Heck at the stress test before sis would let be go back and take she asked if she could go back and see where I was going to be! She gave her OK.

You have to be one of the most giving people on the planet, I love the Elf work. I bet the loves the Santa!

Our weather this year is suprisely good, 51 today.

I'm sorry you lost power.

I'm am so happy your are taking a week for you!! It is about time.

Your mom obviously is missed! I love what Joe is doing!

You and Pat had pretty much the same idea for the holidays! We could never wait until Christmas Day to open any of our gifts.

Happy Holidays to you too!!

Bill