Friday, August 22, 2008

Busy But Boring

Life has been pretty busy with a lot of company and a lot of meetings so there really hasn't been a lot to write about the past few days. Today I am just posting miscellaneous items about the week that was.

Here was an article in yesterday's The Oregonian about the company that owns the assisted living center where mother is at:

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2008/08/debt_weighs_down_assisted_livi.html

I don't agree with the representative of Sun West as I think their financial straits has affected the care of residents. It shows up in several ways. One is the diet. The diet they now have is a terrible diet for anyone let alone senior citizens. I have a hunch the diet is the way it is because of cost cutting. It also shows up in staff turnover. They don't pay well and don't have any benefits so as soon as a better job comes along the residential aides are gone. It also shows up in the facility being short staffed. I am hoping that now the financial straits of the company is out in the open that the publicity will force them to at least improve their diet options.

I was at mom's facility a couple of times last week for meals. One expected, one unexpected. I am learning that senior citizens are really recycled college students living in a dorm with all the social clashes that the college dorm had. At the facility where mom is at they have the main building which is where the assisted living portion of the facility is. Outside of the building they have cottages which are independent living. The insiders get three meals a day, the cottages get one meal a day. Mom has become friends with a couple that live in the cottage and they always sit together for lunch. At dinner mom sits with a different couple. Both couples are very nice but I found out somewhat territorial. When I had lunch with mom on Monday we sat with the cottage couple. Wow did the dinner couple ever get hurt and upset that I didn't sit with them. So in order of peace in the world and assisted living centers, I went out to dinner at mom's the next night and sat with the dinner couple. Whew, tragedy avoided.

Wednesday we met with the guy that is going to remodel mom's house. That took a couple of hours. I really like what is going to be done because it is basically going to turn a somewhat unusable den into a third bedroom. I'm kind of excited about it and so is mom.

Yesterday my nephew, my brother's son, and his wife visited mom and I. My nephew is the one that I have kind of become a surrogate dad to. They live a couple of hours from here in a city, Eugene, that is the home of the University of Oregon. The reason they are here is that my nephew has a job interview today. The plant that he worked at for twenty years as an engineer in Eugene closed and left over 200 people unemployed. My nephew has already interviewed in Wyoming and was offered a job there. He hasn't really decided whether or not he wants to move so decided to explore one opportunity in Portland before making a decision. Your prayers and good thoughts or welcome.

Which brings us to my brother. Your prayers and good thoughts certainly helped him. Remember he tore the ligaments in his leg playing tennis and was to be on crutches for more than ten weeks. He had never had a serious injury before so we were concerned he would get bored and reinjure himself. Didn't happen. He went to the doctor Monday. Bro has been doing everything the doctor has said to do and it has paid off. After just six weeks he is "boot only" which means he is off of crutches in just six short weeks. Way to go folks!!

In a future blog post I may be asking you to help keep from doing something really stupid that I am seriously considering doing unless of course you don't think it is stupid and encourage me to do it then I will be really confused! I am not sure when that post will be as I have to really reconcile what I am considering doing in my own mind. Stay tuned.

Wishing you all a wonderful weekend.

25 comments:

Mary Z said...

"something really stupid"????? The mind boggles at the possibilities. Don't make us wait too long.

Mary Z said...

p.s. Glad to hear that your brother is doing so well with his rehab.

Pat said...

Talk about your pins and needles! Can hardly wait to hear what your dilemma about "something really stupid" might be. Somehow I doubt it'll be really stupid.

Sorry about the deterioration at C.Springs. Food is so important to most of us... maybe not so much to really senior seniors. Where my mother lives, the food is excellent, real home cooking by a real chef, who prepares meals 5 days a week and leaves things to just heat up for the other two days. But mom still grumbles on occasion, not remembering how much worse it was at the other place.

Good wishes to your nephew and congrats to your brother. I think the docs always give you the worst case and then you do better than you expect, so everybody's happy.

Lady DR said...

Sorry to see the article on the facility and to hear your comments on the food and staff. NHC, where Mom was for 5 weeks after the bypass, was a wonderful facility and had a very helpful nutritionist, but I couldn't believe the meals they served, in terms of fat and cholesterol content (altho they were tasty and the residents liked them). Nonetheless, it was a huge step up from the first place she stayed for less than 48 hours, before we hauled her out by ambulance. I think NHC was more interested in pleasing the residents and getting them to eat than in balanced nutrition, to be quite honest. Why is it so difficult to find positive options for our parents?

Good job on avoiding the turf wars!

I'll hold good thoughts for your nephew's interview. I sense that you'd like to have him there in Portland and he'd rather be there than WY. Lots of good vibes headed your way. And good job by Bro on following instructions and the quick recovery.

Uh, you know, Bill, teasers are great on book blurbs and movie trailers, but you now have several folks facing the possibility of turning blue, while we hold our breath waiting to hear what you're considering. I can't imagine you doing something stupid, quite frankly. (Okay, misguided, maybe, grin) You've certainly found a way to make sure we stop in every day (as if most of us don't aleady).

Seriously, give it serious thought and lay it out in that logical way you have and I'm sure we'll be happy to provide input! Meantime, remember to take a lot of deep, relaxing breaths everytime you contemplate whatever it is.
Hugs...

Mary said...

I'm pretty sure it's not going to be stupid, whatever it is. I'm anxious to hear!

Kaye R said...

I echo everyones comments on your brother, your nephew and hoping good things for how your Mom's house project goes.

Now... cough it up mister!! lol
I also agree.... can't think of you doing anything stupid... and since you're giving it deep consideration, it's not on a whim... so what is it??

I love this blog!

William J. said...

OK Everyone

I won't tell the whys or wherefores and the logic of doing what I am seriously considering doing. I will save that for a post in a couple of days. I will lay out the reasons why.

But the person typing this that would rather have lighted matches placed between all ten toes then getting up in front of people in any room or any size audience is thinking of taking comedy classes.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Mary Z

Thanks for the comment about my brother. I am really proud of him.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I couldn't keep you all waiting so I fessed up. I will post all the reasons why in a few days. Then you can all keep me from doing it lol.

It seems like grumbling about food is the standard operating procedure of assisted living centers.

Thanks for the good wishes for my nephew and congrats for my brother. I am really proud of both.

Bill

William J. said...

Hello there Lady Dr

I was kind of surprised at the reaction to my ending sentance, I just kind of of threw it out there. But since so many of you wanted to know I fessed up in an earlier post. I am just not ready to lay out the reasoining behind my consideration. I will do that in a few days.

Where mom is at is really a good facility too but the diet plan is done by the home office. I wish I knew why it was so difficult to find postive options for our parents. Life would be easier if there were more options for us.

I'm am not only taking a lot of deep breaths I am considering serious medication if I do what I
am contemplating doing.

Bill

William J. said...

Mary

A comment you made when I asked about how I could improve my blog was the start of me comptemplating doing something stupid. Then following a couple of blogs and what happened with the blog meister lead to my serious consideration of doing something totally out of my character.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Kaye

Thanks for the good wishes re brother and nephew.

I'm really flattered that you love my blog. It is a treat to have you here.

OK, I won't tell the whole story yet but I fessed up in a earlier post as to what I am considering.

Bill

Pat said...

Well, shoot, I thought you were going to marry somebody you'd just met or something "really stupid". Comedy classes? What a cool idea!

My daughter got into giving little talks on computer stuff, and having not done anything like that before, she joined Toastmasters to get some tips and experience. She has really enjoyed it and it has helped her get more comfortable with giving talks. She's had expenses-paid trips to Australia twice now to give talks, so something is working. I think a comedy class would serve the same kind of purpose and would be lots of fun at the same time. Plus maybe a good way to meet some fun people. I say go for it.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

If I were to marry someone I just met I wouldn't tell you all until after the wedding!

Great post about your daughter that helps a lot, that gives me another role model to look up to.

Bill

Mary Z said...

Cool idea, Bill. I agree - that would surely help you get over your problems with getting in front of an audience.

William J. said...

Hi Mary Z

Even after the class I don't plan on every getting up in front of an audience that isn't the reason I would do it, it would be more to gain confidence in myself in social situations and be more comfortable asking for dates, etc.

I will go into it in great detail in a later post.

Bill

Mary said...

Oh, great, blame me. Heh. I think it's a great idea, and I really admire you for stepping out of your comfort zone. I bet you'll have a lot of fun. If you end up having a class performance or something, let me know, I wouldn't mind seeing that if I can swing it!

William J. said...

Hi Mary

I haven't taken the leap and really made the decision yet and won't until after I post what lead me to consider going completely out of my comfort zone.

It does involve a comment you made because I trust your insight. But it also involves something that someone did that I don't know, have never met, and probably will never meet. Which is why it is taking me so long to draft the post. I'm trying to figure out to structure the post without mentioning names etc. Maybe Tomorrow or most likely Monday.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Hey, I think the comedy class is a great idea, although I'll reserve most comments until you lay out your rationale and, more importantly, why you're hesitant about it or consider it stupid. Pat mentioned her daughter's experience with Toastmasters and it sorta sounds like this might be similar, but based on using humor rather than more serious stuff.

As to taking medication -- I highly recommend you take meditation instead (grin)

William J. said...

Hi Dr

I am in the process of drafting the letter, but one thing I found in drafting the reasons for me thinking about going completely outside my comfort zone is that in my life women have usually inspired me and men have usually disappointed me.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Interesting, your comment that, generally,women have inspired and men disappointed. With a couple of exceptions, I've found just the opposite. Men have inspired and even "pushed" me to test and try and explore, while women have often discouraged or explained (sometimes at length) why it "couldn't be."

As I say, there have been exceptions, CJ certainly being one and some of the S16 group, but by and large it's been men who've provided me motivation and support.

I don't think this is the place to get into that -- you have plenty of response! -- but it might be an interesting issue to explore in the future, do you think? I mean, are you and I "strange" or have others found the same to be true. Not that we can have a balanced discussion, since we don't seem to have other guys here... and that raises another interesting question of "how come?" You can't be the only intelligent, sensitive man on the earth who's capable of communication, can you? Then again...

Sian said...

Glad things are going well in other areas - but don't keep us in suspense too long about your dilemma - enquiring (ok nosey) minds need to know!

Sian said...

oooh just read the other posts and see you're talking about comedy classes! Go for it! You have natural humour and I'm sure you'll do well!

William J. said...

Hi Dr

Ok after I post the reasoning behind me going outside my comfort zone I will make a daily entry were we can discuss whether men or woman have inspired people the most.

Should be for an interesting discusion.

I don't know why men don't stop by my blog. There have been a couple of gay guys stop by and of course like any breathing living soul they are welcome here. Maybe men just feel uncomfortable posting on another man's blog that discusess emotions as much as I do.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Sian

Thanks for stopping by and also for your comments! My post asking for you and others to lead me to the promise land or divert me to a more comfortable direction is in the works and should be up today or tomorrow.

Bill