Saturday, August 23, 2008

Should I Go Out of My Comfort Zone?

I apologize in advance for the length of this post but I am going to ask your help in me making what very well could be a life changing decision and you deserve all the facts before giving me that help.

The last time I went out of my comfort zone I started this blog. What some of you might not know is that I am an extremely private person that has a very difficult time talking about his emotions. That is why I started the blog, to learn how to put my emotions out there, to improve my writing skills, to meet new people, and to get some feedback. Letting go of my privacy issues on some days has been really difficult but when I've done it, it has been really rewarding. Although the blog is out of my comfort zone it has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. All of you have taught me that sharing my feelings won't get me killed, quite the contrary it will result in support of some wonderful women out there. Mary, Mary Z, Lady DR, Dona, Lisa, Kaye, Bev, Sian, Kim, Janet, Pat, Ellen, Symply, Snugpug, Shirley, and numerous others have been a treasure to have here. I cannot tell you how much you have helped me and how much of a better man I am for knowing each and everyone of you. Going out of my comfort zone worked once, can it twice? And on a much larger scale?

I've been thinking a lot about my life and I have come to the conclusion that women inspire me and men usually disappoint me (Dad being the exception). I am thinking about going way outside of my comfort zone because once again two women have inspired me. The words of one woman that I know and the actions of a woman I don't know, have never met, and probably will never meet have inspired me to the point that I am seriously considering doing something completely outside of my comfort zone. At the end of this post I want you all to tell me should I stretch the limit of my pysche or find another venue a little less outside my comfort zone?

Mary when I asked what I could do to make my blog better you posted a comment that has had a huge impact on me. That comment was that in person that I was one of the funniest men that you know. That comment made me feel great and is a big part of me seriously considering taking comedy classes. I truly would rather have all ten fingers and ten toes amputated then ever get in front of an audience but you have a least given me the strength to consider it.

Now the woman that I don't know, have never met, and probably will never meet used to be a co-hostess of a radio show and now is a co-hostess of a podcast. I'm not doing names because I just think it could be perceived as unethical that I might be using her name to build up my blog traffic. That isn't and never will be me. I love the podcasts, it is five women hosting a tri-weekly podcast. The podcasts are often informative and more often very funny. Here is a link to their podcasts, http://www.satellitesisters.com/audio.html. One of their funniest segments is called The Lab Rats, where two of the hostesses test consumer products. Here is a link to that segment of the show, http://www.satellitesisters.com/labrats.html.

I started listening to them on the radio last October. I've learned something from all five of the hostesses but I gravitated towards one because she is so open about her life and her life seems to be the most like mine. A wicked self-depreciating sense of humor, somewhat insecure, and seemingly not much direction in her life. Like the female me. She mentioned on one of her podcasts in late March that she was taking comedy classes. Watching from afar her transformation from then to now has been really an eye opener for me. Here is her final exam, her own standup gig.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1740031522

What I see in that video is a self-confident woman that knows exactly what she wants. I think she has the level of talent that she will eventually be a pretty well known comic.

Combining Mary's words with the above lady's transformation has lead me to really think about how I can obtain what I want in life. When I walk into an IRS audit I walk in with the attitude that my client is in the best hands that they could possibly be in and when I leave that room I will leave it with the auditor's respect and the client's loyalty. I want that kind of confidence in my social life. I've come to the conclusion that if I want someone in my life there is a better chance if I ask someone for a date. I just have to get to the point that if I ask someone there is no way they can say no.

Which brings me to the class that I am thinking about taking. Here is a link with some information about it http://www.portlandcomedy.com/workshops/index.html

I'm not looking for a new career. I'm not looking for a new venue to express myself. I'm looking to be a better and more confident person. I'm also looking for more direction in my life. Maybe improve my creativity and writing. Can this class do it for me?

Starting this blog was like jumping off a three foot cliff, taking a comedy class is like jumping out of an airplane at 20,000 feet. What will you all think of me if I sign up for the class then after two weeks drop out in a pool of sweat?

The blog is now in your hands. This one time I'm not asking for kindness and niceness, I want brutal honesty. If you think this is one of the stupidiest ideas that I've ever considered and completely wrong for me by all means say so.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Bill - I think what you are contemplating sounds very interesting and I think it could be good for you. Any meaningful change usually takes us out of our comfort zones. And I am realizing the older I get that if you want something you have to reach out and grab it because it is most likely not going to come knock on your door. Just remember in those classes that everyone is in the same boat as you are. No better and no worse. I think you will be inspired.

William J. said...

Hi Kim

It is so nice not only to see you here but with great advice! I am hoping it is a level playing field in the class and there are least a couple of people there as shy as I am.

Right now I am leaning towards taking the class.

Bill

Bev Sykes said...

Oh do it, Bill. Kim had wonderful advice. It's not like you're going to be performing for Robin Williams, you're going to be learning along with others who also want to learn. Anything new you can learn can only make you a better person, and who knows what wonderful surprises you will discover along the way.

I'm very excited for you.

Mary Z said...

You said something about being confident and in control when you went into an audit. So, you're comfortable when you're in your area of expertise. So you CAN perform!

From the web site, it sounds like it's for people who are looking for the same things you are - trying something new that involves getting out among strangers, and being comfortable there - or at least being able to cope and to get over the nervousness.

I'm with kim and bev - go for it! And have fun.

William J. said...

Bev

I've always admired you because you had always stepped outside the box, getting out of your comfort zone, and being very successful at it.

If you are exited for me I don't think I can lose.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Mary Z

Gosh you are one of the reasons I love my blog. I never even consider an IRS audit being a performance but when you cut through all the b.s. that is exactly what it is. Wow. Maybe I can do this.

Thank you, Mary.

Bill

Mary said...

You know, Bill, I watched that woman's performance, and it was fine, but her body language was nervous! She's just learning to manage it. I can stand up in front of people just fine. I'm nervous inside, but I've learned to control it. If I had to go to an audit, I'd be a nervous wreck because I've never done it.

If you sign up for this class, what's the very worst thing that can happen? You don't like it, and are not very good, and maybe people you don't know and don't care about will think you can't do comedy. Those are consequences I could live with.

I am betting that you will be very nervous, and you will be surprised how well you do, and you'll keep going back and getting better. You are such a fun and interesting person, you just need to be more relaxed about letting that come through. I have met you in person several times and I never realized how self-conscious you were until I read it here. You don't come across that way.

William J. said...

Hi Mary

I think you would do great at an audit, you actually have more and better technical knowledge than I do.

You are looking at that woman for the first time, I am a looking at the difference in her from before and after the class. I thought she did great and certainly better than I ever would. She has more basic talent than I do.

I'm glad I fooled the group for so many years lol. In the groups' credit nobody ever asked me why I wasn't married. Had they, I would have confessed to the shyness. I almost canceled going to Boulder. Remember it was the week of my birthday and when there was talk of the group doing something for my birthday I broke out in hives at the thought that I might have to say something to the group. Thank goodness the group respected my wishes and didn't do anything.

At all the get togethers I would be surprised if you ever remember me saying anything when the whole group was together. I often went with the small groups. At Boulder it was Shirley, Maryanne or Cathy or an very early morning chat with Bev. At Seattle it was a walk with England Diane or a drive with Shirley. Even in Ashland it was a walk in Lithia Park with you. Never talking when the whole group was together. Shoot you guys didn't even notice me put the salt and pepper shakers in order or counting my veggies. When the group was here it was your van most of the time with three or four others. Even at Higgins I sat next my dad and didn't say much to the whole group.

I'm very flattered that you think I'm fun and interesting that helps to give me confidence.

I am 95% sure I am going to do it.

Bill

dona said...

Hi Bill, so you are 95% sure you are going to do it huh? Gee, maybe my input will help just give you the other 5%. (Or at best 1%)
I say go for it. You have nothing to lose, and so much to gain. I admire you for even thinking of doing it. Like my mom used to say, Pull up your boots and just walk right in, you will be glad you did. :)

William J. said...

Hi dona

I would have loved your Mom. I just pulled up my boots and registered for the class. Haven't paid for it yet so I can still back out. lol.

Bill

Unknown said...

I'm honoured that you've included me in your honour roll. I read regularly but seldom post -- mostly because I wsn't sure if you'd welcome my $0.02 since I don't know you as well -- or as long -- as the others.

But well, now you've asked for it, so to speak.

Do it!

Like the others say, there's nothing to lose. It'll be fun. And if you find you don't like it later, at least it's better to say that you tried than not at all.

All the best.

William J. said...

Hi Snug

Your opinion here is always welcome. As is anyone who is reading this. Knowing me at let alone as well as other isn't a requirement to have an opinion about what I say or about what I am doing. I'm sure others here will tell you that even if your opinion is different than mine it is still welcome and I don't bite. I might respectfully show the other side. So please feel welcome to post anything anytime here. This is your blog as much as mine.

With yours and others support I have decided to do it. First class is Monday. I've registered and talked to the teacher. He says it will help me.

Bill

Lady DR said...

All right! You're registered. Now, write the check to confirm it, my friend. I agree with all the others have said. Yes, you're going to be nervous -- they say that makes a better speaker/
performer, so maybe that's good (grin).

I hadn't thought about you being shy in Boulder. Once I'd ascertained there was no ax in the back seat of the rental car, we had a really nice chat on the trip from the airport. (And if you hadn't been rearranging the salt and pepper, I probably would have!

Go into class for the fun of it. It's not like this is a pass/fail for your next career, just a fun way to learn to loosen up. I'd bet half the class may be there for the same reason you are. I look forward to reports. Enjoy!

William J. said...

Hi Dr

I passed the sister text, guess everyone thinks I'm funny but me. When I told my sister about the class I braced myself for the negativity to go flying and I got instead "you are a funny guy, that is great."

By the way my own sister didn't know I was shy and didn't how excuriating shy I really am. I must hide it extremely well.

When I was at mom's my minister stopped by, he is all for the comedy class too and he didn't know of the extremely painful shyness either.

That just stuns me, I thought everyone knew.

Bill

Kaye R said...

Hey Bill... sorry for the late post, but SO glad to see you've registered!! I was watching a TV show about shy kids... I was interested as I was painfully shy as a kid, still am as an adult who's almost 60. I too do well in my area of expertise I guess because it's an area where I'm comfortable and I know my subject matter. It's second nature. Meeting or interacting with strangers isn't 2nd nature. Anyway, one of the speakers said that being shy was only being selfish and self absorbed... thinking that everyone else is watching everything you do and say and how embarrising that is for you. Then, she said that the bottom line is, not everyone else is watching you, and may not even know you're there. So, as shy people, we're suppose to get over our selfishness. I thought the delivery of this information was harsh, especially for kids. But, there is some truth to it. So, I'm trying to come out of my shell a bit. The group who met in San Antonio this past March was my 1st big step. And whattaya know.. I had a blast!

Glad you made the step... you'll have a blast!!

MUAH!
K

William J. said...

Hello Kaye

You aren't late posting here. I kind of know that everyone that posts here has a life! And since a lot of us care for parents we basically have two jobs and little time so I appreciate whenever you post.

I think the person you quoted never has been shy. It is sort of like someone without kids telling a parent how to raise their children. I agree very little with the speaker. In my case it is a horrible fear of rejection, not selfishness.

I'm really proud of you for several reasons one being stepping out of your shell and going to the San Antonio meeting.

As to the comedy club, I looked at the waiver I have to sign so in a couple day the post is going to ask for suggestions for my epitath.

Bill

Anonymous said...

Ok Bill, Fess up! Do you really want to take Stand Up Comedy classes or do you want to take the lady who took those lessons out? If the answer is the latter, I suggest you start by sending her a light, breezy, slightly flirtatious note telling her how much you admire her.....(You're great at writing fun flirty stuff on the MB)...Go For it Bill!

William J. said...

Hi Lisa

Nice to see you here. Hope this finds you well and in good spirits and traveling less. I will be handicapping the DWTS lineup tomorrow.

Yes, I really want to take comedy classes as I think it will help me get over my shyness. Everyone that has met me is having a hard time believing how shy I am. I really must do a very good acting job in person. Before I'd send anyone a flirty note I'd have to be a lot more confident than I am. The message board is safe because everyone is miles away. No I've got nothing to fess up about.

Bill

Anonymous said...

Maybe you can have her tutor you...;)