Monday, August 18, 2008

Pictures of Some Things In The Trunk

Hi everyone. In the trunk was an envelope with stuff that was my Great Grandfather and my Great Grandmother's stuff. My Great Grandfather was a stage coach driver in the South Dakota territories. During his stint as a stage coach driver he became friends with Sitting Bull. There were letters between the two in the trunk. Great Grandfather visited Sitting Bull when Sitting Bull was in jail. While in jail Sitting Bull made a purse for my Great Grandfather. I have that purse in a safe deposit box. Some of you have already seen a picture of the purse but I am adding the purse picture to the pictures of the stuff found in the trunk because it fits in so well.

Ok here we go.

This is a picture of my Great Grandmother's going to church purse. During those days the purse
was worn around and dangled from the wrist:
















This is the picture of the purse made by Sitting Bull for my Greatn Grandfather. It was authincated by the Native American Museum in South Dakota as his work. It is completely hand made. Isn't it beautiful?












I thought about holding a contest where you would guess what some of this stuff was but then I thought nobody would know. This is a boot buttoner. Great Grandfather used it to button their boots:












This is a pen. Really a quill. Great Grandfather used it in his duties as a stage coach driver to sign for documents he picked up to deliver:










This is Great Grandfather's shaver:











Anyone know what this is? It is a Great Grandfather's letter opener:










These are my Great Grandmother's reading glasses:









May this be a day of finding treasures for you.

10 comments:

Mary Z said...

What wonderful treasures, Bill! The Antiques Roadshow people or The History Detectives would LOVE to see that Sitting Bull beaded bag. You have to wait for Antiques Roadshow to show up at your city, but you could contact The History Detectives through their web site or your local PBS station. Sounds like that would make a great story for them.

Kaye R said...

Bill... just awesome! My Mother has 2 cedar chests that have things of her Mothers in them. We were never allowed to go into those chests, and when moving Mother from Houston to Georgetown (North of Austin), we were just to busy to peek inside. I'm sure we will find some interesting treasures, but a purse made by Sitting Bull... no. That is just amazing!

This was great timing for both of you, too. Things happen for a reason :)

K

Pat said...

What treasures! The Antiques Roadshow or History Detectives shows are great ideas. They would love these things. And you could, er, mention your coming book and drum up a little early interest.

William J. said...

Mary Z

I would love to take the purse to an Antique Road show but there are scheduled to be here for quite a while so I am going to check out the History Detective web site.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Kaye

Please by all means go through the cedar chests, I can almost guarantee that you will have a great time!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I love the history behind the stuff we found in the trunk. Like the button hook to button their boots, I never even knew those existed.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Oh, Bill, what a wonderful time you and your mom must have had. The pictures are really something. You truly do have treasures. I hope Mom will get to feeling better and we can start going through some of the "stuff" she's piled in the spare room and hasn't even looked through since moving. I think it's such a good idea you two are doing this as a weekly venture. Enjoy!

William J. said...

Hi Dr

We are pretty much done with the trunk now it is on to the clothes closet!

Bill

Sian said...

What fascinating treasures you have Bill. Thanks for sharing them!

William J. said...

Hi Sian

Hope things are going better for you across the pond. I love the treasures I found. We are going to finish going through the trunk Tuesday and I am really looking forward to it.

Bill