Thursday, November 13, 2008

The Final Class & Self-Discovery

A couple of blog notes. I am changing update Fridays to update Saturdays. I noticed that most of you posted your updates on Saturday so I am going with the flow. On Friday I want to talk about The Top Chef season premiere.

It was touch and go last night but I did go to week 3 of The Farm Team Transition Class. A couple of hours before the class I lost my power due to rain and wind and a driver that thought running into a power pole would be exciting. The power came back on in time to go to class.

Last night was the "where" night and since the where is really easy we did only one where exercise and then played actual improv. games the rest of the night. One of the games was a repeat of one of the games that we played in the eight week class, it was a four line scene. I'm not going to discuss that exercise since I've already discussed it in one of the eight week class posts. Since I went first in that exercise I went last in the next one. The next game was called, "What are you doing." Because there was an odd number of class members I went on stage with the instructor and we killed them. The exercise involves physical comedy which I'm usually not very good at. However, with Herb in the lead it worked out really well. The game is as follows: audience shouts out an occupation. Ours was grave digger. The referee points to the person to go first. That was me. You start with a motion that defines the occupation you were given. I started digging. The other person on stage asks "What are you doing." "Digging a grave." The referee will zap you if you use the word "I'm." The person then starts a motion that is digging a grave, and the stage partner asks "What are you doing." The person has to respond with an activity that has to relate to grave digging but can't be the words you just said. "What are you doing." Herb "cleaning my shovel." Of course he takes the shovel and then acts like he is wiping off the shovel. And the game goes one until someone uses the word "I'm", repeats the word or motions of the stage partner, or does something that doesn't relate to what a grave digger would do. Herb and I never did get eliminated. It was great fun.

Where I am at now after eleven weeks of the class. The class was more of a self-discovery class than it was a life changing class. I imagine if I take the discoveries in the right direction it could be life changing. This was an amazing class. Not your normal improv. class. The class members were teachers, engineers, accountants, attorneys, inventors, two Stanford honor grads (one took improv. at Stanford.) The teacher said last night that every single person in this class was good enough to be in their Farm Team shows within a couple of months.

I took this class to build confidence, to get over shyness, and to meet people. To compete with and be mentioned with such a talented class has been a huge confidence booster. I'm more confident but not where I want to be yet. I'm completely over my stage fright. I met some really fun and nice people. I'm still shy but not as shy. I did call an ex client that used to ask me out all the time but I couldn't date her because it is unethical to date clients. She was happy to hear from me but is in a relationship. I'd have never called her before the class. It's a start.

What I want to do is to build on the foundations that this class has started. I want to continue to build my confidence. Continue to meet people. Continue to work on my shyness. I've decided that Improv isn't really for me. My two favorite moments in the class were the sixty seconds that I was on the stage by myself talking about hobbies. Even though I don't remember what I said there was something exhilarating about having the teacher tell me he couldn't stop laughing and have other class members tell me for weeks that I made them laugh. The other favorite moment in class was the interview-interviewee game when I was the lasso champion and had the audience rolling. That tells me I want to make people laugh. It also tells me that I am best either on the stage alone or with one partner vs. a team. I'd really like to take a standup class but they have none in Portland and it is impossible right now to go to another city to take one. Until that becomes feasible I want to bridge the gap. That leaves me a couple of options. An acting class through the community college might continue the confidence building, reduce shyness, and keep my stage fright in the background. A dance class might be an option. Or maybe there is another type of class that might work.

Ok, I need your suggestions, where should I go from here? Should I even consider continuing the improv?

May this be a day to lead to self-discoveries for all of you!

8 comments:

Pat said...

First, a question: How come you can't say "I'm"? Not criticizing, just curious, as I don't see how that would affect the outcome.

Now to your future. I'd say offhand that an acting class might be the next thing to try. The problem there is that you'd be working from scripts, and it seems to me that you're so good on the fly that you should maybe pursue something along those lines. But what? The only thing I can come up with is Toastmasters, and I know you had a bad experience with them. There are all kinds of different groups, though, and you can always check them out before joining. As a guest, they let you speak if you want to, or stay silent.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

The reason they don't want you to use I'm is it would be repetitive. Every line would start with I'm and it could get distracting to the audience. Sort of like someone saying OK after every word or sentence.

I might give toastmasters another try. Your idea as guest would be a good one.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Updates on Saturday make sense. By Friday, a lot of people are "fried" I think (wry s).

Good job on going to the class and sounds like you had fun. And wonderful discoveries about what the classes have done for you. And really good job on calling the ex-client. You're definitely making progress!

As to options... hmmm... an acting class might be a good opportunity to see what you do with a script, rather than ad-lib. Might also be an opportunity to ad-lib. I suspect your satisfaction with the class would be largely dependent on the instructor and how close he/she follows rules or encourages acting as a form of art. I think a dance class is a good idea. I still encourage the idea of line dance, because you don't need a partner, you meet a lot of neat people and women far outnumber men. OTOH, ballroom dancing does call for partners and there may well be a lot more women than men, which would mean you'd be in high demand and meet a lot of folks, as well.

I also encourage dancing for other reasons. It's great physical exercise for losing weight and getting in shape and it's also a confidence builder, because you find that if you can follow instructions and paint the back of your hands with L and R appropriately, you have a physical confidence, as well as mental.

Example: Took Rho to LD class with me. She'd never done LD, although she loves to dance and did do clogging about 20 years ago. She was walking into a room full of strangers, all of whom knew me. She took to it like a duck to water and did very well, especially considering it was an intermediate class. And she was laughing the whole time, even when she made mistakes (and especially when the instructor goofed once) and said she'd had a ball. By and large line dancers are fun people, very patient and very helpful. Ballroom dance classes may be the same. I've just never been to any.

Do keep us posted on your decisions, please, and the progress of whatever you decide to do next. I thoroughly enjoy reading your reactions.

Btw, can you tell me why a tag, lie "g" isn't accepted in the pointed quotes, but is fine in the regular paren marks?

William J. said...

Hi Dr

I'm fried most dates.

I do think I am making progress. Yes acting would be like Standup in a way as it would be scripted. Just because the instructor follows the rules doesn't mean I have to!

I like dancing classes too but I'm not sure it will help me maintain not having stage fright. Might help with the shyness.

What a neat story about Rho and the LD class. I assume that means the visit is going well?

I will keep you posted on what I am doing with the education. I just don't want to stop now.

I don't have a clue why a t a g is not allowed. Weird.

Bill

Bill

Pat said...

Bill, thanks, I get it now about using "I'm".

DR, I had that same problem with trying to add a "grin" sign. I think it has to do with HTML and it tells blogger's software to do something or other. Just a guess.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

You are welcome.

By the way got an interesting email from Herb today. There are two types of improv. Long form and short form. What we have been doing is the short form version.
Here is his email.

Hello All!

Are you interested in an experimental longform class? 'Cause there will be one soon. Here are the details.

WHEN: Wednesdays 730-930pm, 12/3, 12/10, 12/17; 1/7, 1/14, 1/21.
Six nights, you will be asked to commit to all 6 classes, so make sure your calendar is clear.
WHERE: ComedySportz Arena, the back-back room. (Yes, in the winter, in the cold, in the back-back. I am working on improving the space).
WHAT: Character Exploration & Scene Construction.
WHO: Coach Herb Spice
PRICE: $5, same as other classes (this is experimental!)
SIZE: 6 people
OTHER INFO: Available on request.

So, if you are interested, respond to this email. I will caution that this is an experimental class, I have an idea what I want to accomplish and no promises that it will occur. It will be fun of course. Also, I do want the same folks for 6 weeks, so make sure you can make all the classes. Finally, it will be a bit before I let everyone know who is in the class, I will do it as soon as I know, I just know it will not be immediate.

Any takers?

Herb

Certainly something for me to consider.

Bill

Pat said...

Definitely something to consider. Sounds like fun. And fairly intimate, with only 6 people, which is probably a good thing. I think.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I like the idea of only six for a number of reasons. One is you will learn more because there will less waiting time between skits. Plus with six there will be some really good bonding.

I'm not sure yet.

Bill