Sunday, November 9, 2008

TV Starts To Cook This Week.

Top Chef., one of my favorite shows starts this Wednesday night on Bravo at 10 p.m. Eastern and Pacific Time. With Dancing With The Stars, The Amazing Race, and Top Chef all on at the same time I will be spending an inordinate amount of time in front of the tube!

Here are the contestants:

The Eight Women:

Ariane, 41, New Jersey, Owner of CulinAriane a four star restaurant in Montclair.

Carla,44, Hometown Nashville, lives in Washington, D.C., owner of Alchemy Caterers.

Jamie, 30, Hometown New York City, lives in San Francisco, Executive Chef of Absinthe Brasserie and Bar.

Jill, 28, hometown Latrobe, Pa., lives in Baltimore, Executive Chef of Red Maple Restaurant.

Lauren, 24, Hometown Cincinnati, stationed at Fort Stewart, Georgia, Chef Tournant, Jag's Steak and Seafood Restaurant.

Leah, 27, hometown Scarsdale, NY, resides in New York, Sous Chef, Centro Vinoteca.

Melissa, no age given, Home state Maryland, lives in Boulder, Colorado, Sous Chef, Centro Latin Kitchen and Refreshment Palace.

Radhika, 28, Hometown and resides in Chicago, Executive Chef of Between Boutique Cafe & Lounge.

The Nine Men:

Alex, 33, Hometown New York, lives in Los Angeles, Executive Chef Restaurant 15.

Danny, 26, Hometown and resides in New Hyde Park, New York, Chef De Cuisine of Babylon Carriage House.

Fabio, 30, hometown Florence, Italy, resides in Moorpark, California. Owner of Cafe Firenze Italian Restaurant Martini Bar.

Gene, 33, Hometown, Whitmore Village, Hawaii lives in Las Vegas, Executive Chef of Executive Sushi Chef & Chef Consultant.

Hosea, 34, Hometown, Taos, New Mexico, lives in Boulder, Colorado, Executive Chef of Jax Fish House.

Jeff, 30, Hometown Niceville, Florida resides in Miami, Chef de Cuisine of the Dilido Beach Club.

Patrick, 21, hometown Quincy, Mass, resides in Hyde Park New York, Culinary Student.

Richard, 27, Hometown, Sayville Long Island, NY, lives in San Diego, Executive Sous Chef, Confidential Restaurant & Loft.

Stefan, 35, Hometown Tampere, Finland, resides in Santa Monica. Owner of Stefanscatering.com.

Heck not one person fifty or older. I wanted to at least root for someone on the AARP mailing list. Be interesting to see who takes the lead. Without seeing them my favorites right would be Ariane among the women and Alex among the men.

What are you cooking today? I'm not cooking I'm going to brunch with my friend Ted.

12 comments:

Lady DR said...

Cooking? The bane of my existence. On a fairly regular basis, 5:00 pm is when I most wish I had a wife. On the rare occasions I set up tentative menus for the week, I do manage to put meals on the table, but with so many aftrnoons, I arrive home from med app'ts at 5:00 and my response to "what's for dinner?" is often less than gracious. Today? Given Mom and Rhonda surpised us with a visit, so Rho could see the house, and they just left a bit after 5:00, it's going to be spaghetti (I always have homemade sauce in the freezer) or frozen meatballs with noodles and a salad, either way.

Since it's not unusual for one of Himelf's ham buddies to show up at 5:00 and end up staying for dinner, I have gathered a few one dish meals I can throw together and into the oven and that makes life easier. Fortunately, I've found more winners than losers lately (wry s).

dona said...

Hi all, well today my pick for dinner was French Onion PorkChops
Very good, very easy.
6 boneless chops
2 onions sliced thin
2 tbsp worchestershire sauce
1 pkg Stove Top Chicken mix
optional was a bit of Kraft shredded low moisture skim mozzarella cheese topped at the end.
You just cook the chops til done with all the onions, once the chops are done set aside and cook onions til golden, add in all the rest with a cup and 1/2 of water, top off with the chops and a bit of cheese and cover for about 5 minutes.

Now I am baking cookies. :)
I can't wait for Top Chef to start either...hope its a good season.
And Bill just curious, why would your picks be Ariane and Alex?

Pat said...

I don't plan to cook tonight. Will have either tomato basil soup or potato soup w/onion & bacon. Will throw some spinach into whichever one I decide upon, since I try to keep my greens intake up.

Last night, I had a nice steak, some spinach, and yams that I cut into strips, tossed with a little olive oil, salt & pepper and baked in the oven. If you cut the strips fairly thin and preheat the oven to about 350, they'll cook in just over the amount of time a steak takes. I'm trying to best Rachael Ray and do 20 minute meals.

William J. said...

Hi Dr

How lucky Himself is to have a wife that doesn't mind unexpected company and I know his ham buddies appreciate a home cooked meal!

I do think someone should cook for you sometimes. Even if it is just a hamburger, just to give you a break.

I'm actually kind of glad Rho brought your Mom over for a visit. She can see the distance you have to travel when you do errands for your mom, etc.

I would imagine all your dinners are winners!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Dona

Can I come to your house for dinner? I love pork chops and your recipe sounds absolutely marvelous. I copied and may try it myself.

Another Top Chef fan! Yeah!

I just liked the bios that I read. You can read the bios of the contestents at bravotv.com/topchef/

Ariane with a four star restaurant tells me that someone besides herself likes her cooking. Alex was just a shot in the dark.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

You have the same problem that I do, cooking for one is really difficult.

Greens intake is healthy. I try to keep mine up also.

Great tip about cutting the strips and preheating the oven.

Racheal Ray doesn't stand a chance.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Dona, had to laugh. I fixed your pork chop recipe tonight, with some sequencing differences. It was a hit with Chris and Himself.

Bill, Himself does cook on occasion. He does all the grilling during warm months, makes a taco salad to die for and does relatively fat-free fried chicken strips when in the mood. One cooks, the other cleans up. When he's in the mood to do neither, he generally asks where I want to get a hamburger (g).

I asked Chris (ham buddy) tonight if he'd adopt me as his second mother and take care of me in my old age (g).

William J. said...

Hi DR

Himself cooks? Well if something happens between you, I will marry him.

Bill

dona said...

Hey Bill, you can come over any time just call and we will set you a place. I took a picture of it as it was done and planned to put on my blog but never got to it. We loved it.
ladydr, am glad you did well with it.

Oh and Bill, the Shankster cooks too and very well I might add...so if things don't work out with Himself you have another option.

William J. said...

Hi Dona

The Shankster? It is nice to have options!

Bill

Kaye R said...

Hi all!! Sorry I've been absent. Just been busy, nothing special tho. Dinner tonite? HA, that's easy. If George (my little George Foreman Grill) doesn't feel up to my advances, I often do the ole' PB&J. Such fun :) Just for the record... I can't cook. Trust me, I tried. Even took cooking classes.. but they just didn't take. I've lost count how many times I've left eggs on the stove top to hard boil, only to hear them as they plaster themselves on my kitchen ceiling. So, if any one wants to come cook here, I'll volunteer to clean up afterwards!

William J. said...

Hi Kaye

Nice to see you as always.

I like good old George and if you come to my house I will cook and clean up too!

Bill