Tuesday, November 4, 2008

VOTE TODAY

I don't really care whom your favorite candidate is but I do care whether or not you vote. This is the day that you get to participate in the election , that you get to help decide what direction you want to take the country. Don't let the pundits' early predictions of the outcome of the election keep you from going to the polls. This is more than about presidential politics, it also about local, county, and state issues and candidates. Often the outcome of the local, county, and state elections will impact your life more than the outcome of the presidential election will. Wake up this morning and be proud. Be proud of the candidates that you support, that they are willing to put their lives on hold to serve you. Be proud that you live in a Democracy. Be proud that you are an American. Then drive, walk, take the bus, a cab, call a friend to transport you to the polling places and vote. This is your day.

MSNBC did something this morning that I thought was pretty neat. On the Morning Joe show they had on two guests at the time; A Republican pundit and A Democratic pundit. Joe Scarborough asked each one the same question, an enticing question. First he asked the Democratic pundit to say something nice about John McCain. He answered that John McCain was a true patriot that has served is country for years and we should celebrate him and his service. The Republican pundit was then asked to say something nice about Barrack Obama. He responded that he was an intelligent man that ran a focused campaign, that was cool under pressure, and gave signs that he would include Republicans in his administration.

After sixteen years of divisive politics with the country being ruled by ideology instead of what is best for all us we can learn from Joe's question and the pundits' answers. I've read articles that stated that Bill Clinton was the most hated president by the opposite party in the history of the country with something like 90% of the Republicans hating him. That was until George W. Bush, who then became the most hated president by the opposite party in history with over 90% of the Democrats hating him. That lead to little or no conversations between parties and yes between us. We can't put all the blame on Clinton or Bush or Congress for where the country is now. Nope, we have to take a lot of the blame ourselves. Discussions between us being stopped by either the phrase "How can you support such an idiot" or "You are not a true American if you are against the war."

Tomorrow is a day for a fresh start. Not only for the country but for us. It is time for us to reach across our disagreements and talk to each other. Time to stop the hate. Time to unite. If your candidates win then tomorrow find someone that supported the losing candidate and reach out to them. If your candidates loses, then tomorrow find someone that supported the winning candidate and offer them your congratulations. Change starts at the bottom. The country can be united but only if it starts on the ground level. With us.

VOTE TODAY

8 comments:

Pat said...

Great post, Bill. I hope everyone follows your advice. I posted the following elsewhere, so apologies to those of you who read both.

I voted about 11:45. My polling place is usually dead as a doornail around noon when I go. This time, it was more crowded than usual, but no line. There was one spot open, and I went right in. As I left, several more people came in, and I asked one woman at the desk if they were having a big turnout. She said, "It's been crazy! This is the first lull we've had. At 6:30 in the morning, the entire waiting area (which is pretty big) was full of people waiting." I also noted two young people at the desk signing people in and handing out ballots. Usually it's all retirees.

Then I went to my little pharmacy to pick up a prescription, and there were three of us there, all with "I Voted" stickers, including the pharmacist. "Hey, look at us", he said, as another guy came in with a sticker, "We all voted". So we all congratulated each other and I left happy, even though my Rx wasn't ready. :-)

I like the look of things, but will still be nervous until late tonight.

William J. said...

Hello Pat

I love what you wrote. The polling place and the "I voted" stickers is what I really miss by having vote by mail.

Great news that young people are becoming involved in the process!

Well shoot on the RX not being ready.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Excellent post, Bill, and excellent comments. Hoping to find a "lull" in predicted lines, we picked Mom up at 1:30, took her to her polling place, went to ours and retrievend Mom. Like Pat, I was happy to see that the poll workers were split almost equally between retirees and yong people.

I really like what MSNBC did this morning -- each party finding something good to say about the other party's candidate. As you say, this has been a really divisive campaign. Regardless of the outcome, if each of us can find something good to say about the winners -- whether they were our choice or not -- we can begin to work together, something this country's people and politicians haven't done for too many years. A house divided... same applies to a country.

Pat said...

Hi, Bill, back again...

My daughter tells me that when she and husband vote by mail (in CA), they get a sticker sent to them with the ballot. Then they go to the polling place on election day to drop them off, and they get another sticker. I could have used two today, because I had a jacket on and off and on again, and I wanted the sticker to show at all times. Oregon should give you guys a sticker!

As to the Rx, no worries. I re-ordered in plenty of time, so can pick it up any time in the next few days. Not a life-threatening situation.

William J. said...

Hi DR

YEA TO THE YOUNG PEOPLE! Not only voting but getting involved in the process.

And Yea to you for helping your mom vote!

What MSNBC did this morning set the tone for me for the rest of the day. It has been not only a divisive campaign but a divisive political climate for sixteen years now. Time for us to work together not apart.

Thanks for the nice post!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I love it when you post twice in a thread!

I wish us Oregonians would get a sticker! I am going to lead a charge for stickers in 2010!

Bill

Mary said...

In WA, we vote by mail, but we have the option to drop our ballots off at QFC, which is a big grocery with many stores. There is one less than a mile from my house, and Michael drove over there on Saturday night and dropped all three ballots off with the volunteers there. And he got a sticker, which was really important to him, since this was his first big election.

I too hope that the next administration will pull this country back together again. I hate the ugliness and the sniping and the feeling that I can't even talk to people who feel differently than I do. And I'm an Independent!

William J. said...

Hi Mary

Always good to see you here. I noticed that Washington is now the second state with a death with diginity act.

QFC is part of The Fred Meyer chain.

YEA!! MICHAEL!! Give him a hug from me.

I think McCain's concession speach was a good start to the healing.

Bill