Friday, November 14, 2008

Life Really Cooks

Let's See I predicted Warren Sapp would be the first one to be eliminated on Dancing With The Stars and he will probably finish in the top two. Then before Top Chef New York started I predicted Alex who finished in the bottom eight of the elimination challenge and Ariane who finished in the bottom two of the elimination challenge would be two to watch out for. As well as my predictions are going I'm predicting I'm not going to win the lottery. Being a bit on the stubborn side I am sticking with my two favorites although I kind of liked Hosea's attitude. Carla needs to drink less coffee but she may be fun to watch. Without a doubt my least favorite is Jeff. I've never liked men that would be happy living in a house of mirrors.

A couple of things struck me as I watched Top Chef this week. 1.) The number of parallels there were with the show and the comedy class that I just completed. How well you do under pressure. How creative you can be on short notice. 2.) How the ingredients in the show is sometimes how you should live life. Don't overcook, don't undercook, sometimes don't be a salty, sometimes you need to be a little salty, be properly inspired, sometimes going out of your comfort zone pays off and sometimes faking it works.

Before the chefs even made it to the Top Chef Kitchen there was a quickfire challenge where one of the seventeen contestants was eliminated. There are only sixteen slots in the kitchen so one had to go early. The quickfire challenge was three parts. Slice Apples. Dice Apples. Cook Apples. Stefan finished on top and won immunity in the elimination challenge. The bottom two were friends, Lauren and Richard. Lauren was sent packing before she had a chance to even see the kitchen. She was kind of cute so it would have been fun to see her stay on for more then one week.

The elimination challenge involved ethnic cooking. The remaining sixteen contestants were paired by drawing knifes with ethnics areas of New York imprinted on them. Each pair would compete with each other with the winner going to the top eight and the loser going to the bottom eight. The pairs and the winning dishes follow:

Richard and Jamie went to the Astoria section of New York known for Greek food. Jamie won with Eggplant puree, seared bass with arugula salad.

Hosea and Carla went to Brighton Beach to buy ingredients to cook Russian food. Hosea won with smoked fish with caviar, creme friche, & apple chutney.

Jeff and Fabio took their seventy-five dollar budget to Ozone Park to create a couple of Latin dishes. Tom's least favorite Jeff still came out on top with his Coffee seared Tenderloin, smoked plantain with black beans and rice.

Radhika & Jill shopped in Queens to build a couple of Jamaican dishes. Jill won even though her Plantain Friters & Jerk spiced scallops were overcooked.

Leah and Melissa were sent to Little Italy. Leah's Italian dish, Farrio Risotto with seared red snapper & mushrooms won.

Patrick,18, the youngest contestant ever on Top Chef and Daniel went to Chinatown. The judges didn't like either dish but Daniel barely won with his poached chicken with pok choy, shitake mushrooms, and fried wonton.

Alex and Eugene went to Little India. Eugene won with a dish he didn't describe properly but still in the judge's words "hit it out of the park" with Masala rubbed lamb with basmati rice and the erroneously described by Daniel, Tzatziki.

Stefan and Ariane went to Long Island to experience the buying of Middle Eastern food. Ariane undercooking gave the win to Stefan's lamb chops with tabouli salad, beef onion skewer with cinnamon spice.

The top three were Stefan, Eugene, and Leah. The guest judge, Jean-Georges Vongerichten, announced that Stefan got his second win of the night.

Patrick ended up in the bottom two for the second time of the night. This time with Ariane. Patrick was sent home. I breathed a sigh of relief.

How is life cooking for you? Win any challenges lately?

2 comments:

Pat said...

Bill, you either take careful notes or you're visiting some Top Chef encyclopedia website. I couldn't begin to remember those people's names and connect them with their dishes, though I did watch the show with interest and enjoyment. If I get confused or miss a show, I'll have your blog to refer back to, which is nice.

I don't have a favorite yet. Stefan so far looks like the best chef (but after only one show, that could be very deceptive). However, he's already a little irritating, arguing with somebody about whether a vinaigrette is an emulsion or not. I'd guess it is if you whip it enough and isn't if you don't. But oh, well, I do like the show and will enjoy your take on it as it goes on.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Since it was on the same night as the comedy class I recorded it and took notes from the recorded version. Usually what I do is record it while watching it and then the next play it back and take notes. I'm a Top Chef Junkie.

Stefan is the one from Santa Monica so for you he is close to being a hometown guy for as he can get.

I promise to make an effort to keep you informed on of all the inter workings of Top Chef this year! I'm also hoping since they have done San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago, and I think New Orleans that the next season will be Top Chef Portland!

Bill