Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Golden Globe Summary

I really enjoyed THE GOLDEN GLOBES last night. It was a fast moving award show a lot more relaxed than what the Oscars usually are. The most touching moment for me was when THE DARK KNIGHT'S director, Christopher Nolan, gave a simple elegant acceptance speech in honor of Heath Ledger "All of us who worked with Heath on THE DARK KNIGHT accept this with an awful mixture of sadness but incredible pride. After Heath passed you saw a hole ripped in the future of cinema." Nobody could have said it better.

I was also elated that an indie film with an unknown cast, SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE, became the darling of the night winning in all four categories that it was nominated for.

Although I'm anything but a fashion guru both Renee Zellweger and Maggie Glyllenhaal
had me mumbling to myself, "what in the world were they thinking." While I was stunned with the elegance and beauty of Beyonce and the simple beauty of Kate Winslet.

This is the first time in a few years that my prediction rate for the Oscars or the Globes has been less than fifty per-cent. I was seven out of seventeen which works out to a forty-one per-cent rate. Of course the percentage would have been higher if I used my should wins instead of my will wins.

For the Best Movie I picked THE READER but my should win SLUMDOG MILLONAIRE surprised me. Best director I picked Ron Howard for FROST/NIXON but again my should win Danny Boyle of SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE took home the trophy. I was way off with best actor as the comeback kid of the very violent THE WRESTLER, Mickey Rourke took home the award instead of my pick, Brad Pitt of BENJAMIN BUTTON. Best Actress my pick, Meryl Streep, was beat out by the overwhelmed Kate Winslet for REVOLUTIONARY ROAD. My pick in best comedy, MAMA MIA, was trounced by IN BRUGES. My should win in Best Actress Comedy, Sally Hawkins for HAPPY GO LUCKY, came from nowhere to beat my will win Meryl Streep of DOUBT. Gabriel Byrne from IN TREATMENT really surprised everyone beating out my pick, Hugh Laurie of HOUS. Anna Paquin of TRUE BLOOD beat out my favorite Sally Field of SISTERS AND BROTHERS. 30 ROCK beat out my THE OFFICE for best television comedy. Pat was right with her pick of Alec Baldwin of 30 ROCK over my pick of Steve Carrell from THE OFFICE.

My wins were the Best Actor in a comedy, Colin Ferrell of IN BRUGES, Best Supporting Actor in a landslide was Heath Ledger for his role in THE DARK KNIGHT. Best Supporting Actress was my will win, Kate Winslet for THE READER. Best Television Drama was my pick, MAD MEN. I was right on with my pick of Tina Fey for 30 ROCK. I also won with supporting actor and actress, Tom Wilkenson for JOHN ADAMS and Laura Dern for RECOUNT.

How did you do?

I hope this is an award winning day for all of you!

4 comments:

Pat said...

I only really watched the first hour of the Globes, because I'd rather keep up with DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES and BROTHERS & SISTERS, and I was recording TESS OF THE D'URBERVILLES on PBS. I seemed to catch most of the awards, though, by surfing over there during commercials. I thought there were a lot of surprises -- SLUMDOG doing so well and Mickey Roarke, to mention two. Calling Winslett a "supporting actress" for READER seemed strange to me, but I haven't seen any of the above pictures as yet. I'll definitely see SLUMDOG and READER -- don't know about WRESTLER.

I think you should count your "should wins" in your percentage. {g}

This will probably be an unpopular opinion, but I thought the acceptance speech for Heath Ledger was over the top. "A hole ripped in the future of cinema"?? Puh-leese. He was a good actor who died tragically and too young. That's all.

Yes, the Globes are much more relaxed than the overproduced Oscars. The Globes have been downright rowdy at times in the past, but they were pretty dignified this time. For them.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I should watch more TV, now that BOSTON LEGAL is history, DANCING WITH THE STARS is awaiting the next season in March, and the AMAZING RACE was completed I really don't spend much time in front of the TV. I should check out BROTHERS AND SISTERS.

I am definitely going to see SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE, READER maybe.
I try to be honest with my statistics as an accountant I could pretty much make them come any way I wanted to but the better part of valor keeps me ethical.

I honestly didn't think Ledger's acceptance speech was over the top. Based on his performanceS in BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN and THE DARK KNIGHT his range was immense. It would be interesting to see what was said when James Dean died much to young. Be an interesting comparison.

I'm glad we got the Globes this year, I really missed them last year.

Bill

lisa said...

Hi Bill! Thx for the Golden Globes update! I love the show TRUE BLOOD so I am happy Anna Paquin won. I am going to start posting on your blog when I travel to see if you pick it up on your "blog locator"...Can you tell where I am now Bill? TTYS! Lisa

William J. said...

Hi Lisa

Rumor has it that vampires are the in thing with TRUE BLOOD on the tube and TWILIGHT in the theaters.
Not a good idea for me to watch those since I faint at the sight of blood.

All I have on my blog is a very limited tracker that is free. All it does it tells me the location someone logs on at it doesn't tell me who they are. If they use a special software it just shows location as "unkown". Sometimes it shows where the server is located. When I worked the job in December it showed me as logged on from Phoenix, when I did the seminar in December at a Holiday Inn it showed me as logged on from Mesa, Az. Sometimes I get several hits at one time from Los Angeles, so I never know who it is. Just where the either are or their server is.

The only visit that logged on the same time as you posted was from Reading in England.

Bill