Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The List Isn't Complete

Today is my Mom's birthday. She was born January 21, 1916. These are some ot the things that she either witnessed or lived through in her lifetime:

World War 1
World War II
The Korean War
The Viet Nam War
Two Gulf Wars
The Afghanistan Invasion
Pearl Harbor
9-11
The first television
The first color television
HDTV
The first fax machine
The first computer
The first cell phone
The first I-pod
Schools in the South integrated
The Watts Riots in the 60’s
The Rodney King riots in the 80’s
Women gaining power and slowly breaking the glass ceiling
Prohibition
The Berlin Wall coming down
Bomb shelters
Alaska and Hawaii becoming states
The assassination of Robert Kennedy, Martin Luther King, and John F. Kenendy
The death of FDR
Normandy
Trickle Down
The first intercontinental flight.
The building of the interstate freeway system.
The dedication of Mount Rushmore
The Great Depression
Genocide
The opening of Disneyland
The first black president
Bread churners
Ice Cream Makers
The Hula Hoop
Rubik’s Cube
The Cuban Missile Crisis
The Pet Rock
The microwave oven
The copy machine
Scanning
Man's First landing on the moon
"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself" FDR
"One small step for man, one big step for mankind" Neil Armstrong.

After going back and forth and giving much thought and consideration to what to get Mom today I decided on a gift of time. I am going to cook her and/or her caregivers dinner every night this week through Saturday. Anything else, like the List Yourself Book, wouldn't arrive by today. So I'm Chef Dahn for the week.

Happy Birthday Mom. Thank you for standing behind me when I needed a shove, next to me when I needed support, and in front of me when I needed leadership. I think you molded me in to a damn good man. I hope to honor you with leading a honorable life every day the rest of my life. I know there will be times when I fail miserably but you taught me to get up and keep trying. I will.

What would you add to the above list that has happened since 1916?

8 comments:

ALL ABOUT...Portland Oregon Real Estate said...

Really nice post Bill. Love to me means spending time with that person. That's the nicest gift you could give her. Happy Birthday Mom!

(microwave, copy machine).

William J. said...

Hi Betty

Thank you for the post and welcome to the blog! The women that post here are a really good group.

I also forgot the landing on the moon and just went back and added that. Now I am going to add the copy machine and microwave.

I sure hope the real estate market turns around in the Portland area!

And you are right about love!

Bill

Anonymous said...

Hi Bill - I think you are giving your mom the gift that most mother's want. More time with their children. My daughter is still young and at home but I cherish every minute with her.

SymplyAmused said...

Awww, happy birthday to your Mom! May you have a great week cooking for her...

William J. said...

Hi Kim

You are no doubt a great mom!

I cheated tonight and took my mom and nephew out for dinner. I might post some pictures tomorrow.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Symply

Hope school and work are going well for you!

I am actually looking forward to cooking for mom, the caregiver, and the nephew!

Bill

Kaye R said...

Great post, Bill. I concur with everyone... the time spent with your Mom is the perfect gift. As for more things your Mom has seen since her birthday... Watergate, birth control, polio vaccine, Katrina, Sputnik, Woodstock... ook, I cheated. This reminded me of Billy Joel's song "We Did't Start the Fire", so I googled it. Amazing history in that song, and your Mother has lived thru it all.

Happy Birthday (belated), Bill's Mom! (tosses confetti)

William J. said...

Hi Kaye

How in the world could I forget Watergate? or the polio vaccine.

I googled Bill Joel's song too, I wish I would have googled it before the post!

My mom thanks you!

Bill