Sunday, January 18, 2009

Gran Torino

As part of my research for the book that I am writing I did a lot of research on gangs. The Asian gangs were noted for being the most violent. It was also almost impossible in a poor Asian neighborhoods for a teen to avoid joining a gang, if the teens didn't join the gang willingly, they were either intimated by violence into joining the gangs or if that didn't work threats against family members usually did. The movie GRAN TORINO really brings that to the forefront.

GRAN TORINO is a 2008 American drama film directed by and starring Clint Eastwood. The film features a predominantly Hmong cast, as well as Eastwood's younger son, Scott Eastwood. Eastwood's older son, Kyle Eastwood provided the score.

Walt Kowalski (Clint Eastwood), a Korean War veteran, is living in a changing Detroit neighborhood dominated by immigrants. At the start of the movie, Walt is attending his wife's funeral, bristling at the shallow eulogy of Father Janovich
(acted well by Christopher Carley). He similarly has no patience for his two sons and their families who show little respect for Walt or their late mother. Throughout the movie Walt views them as spoiled and self-absorbed children who avoid him.

Kolwalski is prejudice, not wanting to have anything to do with his Hmong neighbors. As the movie unfolds Kowalski is seen by his neighbors as saving first their teenage son, Thao, played expertly by Bee Vang and then later saving the teenage daughter Sue, played even more expertly by the marvelous Ahney Her.

As the movie unfolds Sue gets into Kowalski's heart and softens his prejudice. We also see a developing relationship between Thao and Walt. Mentored by Walt we see Thao growing and becoming stronger.

The title of the movie is after Kowalski's 1972 GRAND TORINO in mint condition, cherished by Walt's granddaughter.

I found this movie to be both entertaining and thought provoking. One football for Eastwood's acting and directing. One football for a realistic look at gangs. One football for the budding starlet, Ahney Her. Three footballs.

What is on your entertainment schedule for the next week?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Going to see the Dustin Hoffman movie this week - my all-time favorite actor.

William J. said...

Hi Red

Mom and I are going to see the Dustin this week too!

Bill

Anonymous said...

Where are you going to go see it
Many actors seem to portray themselves in roles and don't change characters. Dustin Hoffman, in my opinion, is an actor's actor. Not that I know that much, but he seems to become the character. I loved Rain Man. Kramer vs. Kramer, and the multitude of other films he's been in. Other actors I can see them as the character instead of playing the role they are supposed to be. Don't know if that makes sense or not.

The other entertainment I will be watching, are all the Presidential events, swearing in, etc. If you can call it entertainment - don't know if that's being disrespectful - which isn't my intention.

William J. said...

Hi Red

I am going to watch all the presidential ceremonies also, with all the glitz and glitter, the bands, etc I think calling it entertainment is correct. Entertainment combined with a historical moment!

I don't exactly know when we will go see Dustin, Mom just told me today she would like to see it. It is hard to get her to go to a movie so when she expresses interest I'm there. We usually put her in a wheelchair for the movies so we usually go to Tigard Cinemas. It is old enough that wheelchairs are put in the back of the theater and mom likes that better. Sherwood and Bridgeport are new and the handicap area is right in front of the screen. When alone I walk to Sherwood or go to Bridgeport if the movie isn't playing at Sherwood. With Mom if I can I take her to Tigard.

I love Hoffman. Kramer vs. Kramer is one of my all time favorite movies. I even liked the role he played in Runawy Jury, opposite Gene Hackman. Not to mention The Graduate. Or my favorite, Hoffman movie, Tootsie.

Bill

Pat said...

I'll be going to see THE READER on Tuesday with some of the book group people. On Thursday, we'll be taking an "architectural tour" of CalTech. On Friday, I'm going to drop in on the local caregivers' group, which is not, strictly speaking, entertainment. I have some questions for the facilitator, who is very knowledgeable, about advocates for seniors, if there are any such animals. Not relating to my mother, but to another situation I've become aware of. It's completely none of my business, and nobody is being abused or anything reportable to police... I'm just curious about what help is available for people who can't help themselves and whose families are, well, to put it politely, detached.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I really want to know your take on the reader and whether or not you think Winslet deserved the award.

The CalTech sounds interesting!

I love that your care enough to investigate possible help and support for elderlys! I'd be curious as to what you find out.

Bill