Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Dancing With The Octomom

Season 8 of Dancing With The Stars premiered Monday night. They have already had a lot of drama with two celebrities having to drop out with injuries and being replaced by other stars that had less than a week to learn the routines. With Nancy O’Dell and Jewel having to drop out with injuries before this season even started I think ABC really missed the boat and could have had their ratings soar by picking the Octomom as a replacement! But they didn’t have that much foresight. They picked a Playboy bunny and a another reality show reject. Overall, however, I was surprised at the quality of the dances for the first show of the season!

My favorite to win this season is Cheryl Burke and the acting stud from Sex In The City, Gilles. They have the phone number that puts them immediately in the lead. Did you know that in five out of the last seven seasons of Dancing With The Stars the couple that had the phone number ending in 3405 won? I also rated them the best last night as did the judges. I gave their Cha Cha an A-. The judges gave them a 24.

I gave my second favorite couple a B +, Professional Mark Ballas and 17 year-old gymnast Shawn Johnson performed an elegant waltz that earned a 23 from the judge.

I had a tie for third with ex con L’il Kim and country and western singer Chuck Willis both earning a B from me. L’il Kym and last year’s winning professional, Derek Hough Cha Chaed to a 21 from the judges. While a very pleasing waltz earned Chuck and real life girl friend, professional dancer Julianne Hough a 20 from the judges.

Coming in a surprising fifth considering she had only two days to train with professional partner, Tony, after being rejected by the bachelor Mellissa Rycoff earned a B - from me and a 23 from the judges with an stunning elegant waltz. So good old Melissa made it through one reality show without getting dumped on national TV. Well at least this week she did.

My sixth place finisher earned a C + form yours truly and an 18 from the judges. New professional Dimitri and replacement Playboy model, Holly Madison, did a very nice Cha Cha having less than a week of traing.

Coming in 7th were C earners pop star Bellinda and my Mom’s favorite professional, Jonathan Roberts. Their to slow but somewhat beautiful waltz earned a 17 from the judges.

Comic David Alan and my beautiful favorite professional, Kym Johnson, did a waltz that earned a 19 from the judges and a C - from me. My 8th place finishers.

Football players usually do well on Dancing With The stars but if the first night out is any indication it looks like future football hall of famer Lawrence Taylor will break that spell. He and his professional partner, Edyta The Body, didn’t do real well with a Cha Cha earning a D + from me and a 16 with the judges.

Everyone’s favorite professional dancer is Max. Heck my sister even named her cat after him. And my sister’s cat dances better than Max’s partner for this season does. Charlie Sheen’s ex Denise Richards didn’t cha cha into anyone’s heart. Finished tenth in my ratings with a D and faring not much better with the judges with an 18.

Richards did so poorly that I had her tied with a jackass. The infamous Stevie O from the show Jackass also got a D from me with doing something that kind of looked like a waltz with partner Lacey. The judges gave the couple a 17. Better than they deserved.

I had a tie for last places. I don’t give anyone that pushes themselves out of their comfort zone an F. But my last two celebs tied with a D-, a cowboy and a billionaire.

Jewel’s husband, Rodeo star Ty Murray and professional partner new to this season, Chelsea Hightower did an underwhelming cha cha that earned a 14 from the judges.

The cowboy got one more point from the judges than Apple co-founder and billionaire Woz. Katrina and Woz also did a cha cha, that was bad. Woz did have fun and I give him credit for that!

Next week for the first time in the show’s history the audience will not decide who is sent home. The audience will decide the bottom two who then will have a dance off to be scored by the judges.

I hope you all will dance through the rest of the week! The weekend is nearing! As is April 15th.

9 comments:

Pat said...

I agree with your assessment of the DWTS contestants. I also liked Gilles best of them all, and since I like Cheryl Burke, I'm glad they are partners. I thought Melissa from Bachelor did amazingly well after only a few hours' rehearsal. They said she had some ballet training, and that was probably what saved her. Ballet and gymnastics seem to help a lot, even if they have no previous ballroom experience.

I also love watching Maksim, so will be sad to see him probably eliminated early due to a not-so-good contestant.

The cowboy and Woz, I give credit for guts for trying, but they're kind of embarrassing to watch. I hope they at least have some fun.

I won't be watching as carefully as you, but I'll keep an eye on things and depend on you to keep me up to date on things I miss.

Lady DR said...

RE: your comment on Octomom ... I'm not sure what rock I've been under, but I hadn't realized she was a Single Mom. It is absolutely none of my business, but I cannot imagine intentionally doing fertility treatments, when you're single and already have six children. Nor can I imagine the thinking of the doctor/clinic who agreed to do it. And she says she is paying for the big new house they're moving into.

I have really missed some serious paragraphs in this whole story, it seems, 'cause I'm trying very hard not to judge and to "live and let live," but this whole thing blows me away.

And now, to return to our regular programming...

Pat said...

DR, you really must keep up with the major news stories of our day. {g} From what I heard, the octomom's father put $100K down on the 4 br 2 story house she's moving into. Not sure about any of this, but I think they said the monthly payments will be around $3K. Lotsa luck! I also heard that some Angels Something group will be providing 24/7 care for the octuplets. But then I heard they will if they get enough donations to cover the cost. More luck needed there.

In other major news, I just heard on the radio that Sarah Palin's daughter and her baby daddy just broke up. Oops! If Sarah had won the VP job, you can bet they wouldn't have let that kid get away.

Now back to *real* news, like what's happening on DWTS.

Lady DR said...

Pat - You know, sometimes the "real" news is just not something I want/need to be aware of (g). I have my moments when I think people were happier, more content and less stressed twenty or foty years ago, when all they knew about was their neighbor' trauma or triumph.

Yes, the first report said her father bought the house, then a later one said she'd be paying for it. And, uh... I hate to be stupid and maybe fiscally uninformed, but how is a mother of fourteen going to come up with a $3K housepayment and raise her kids, sans husband? I'd seen the thing on the Angels org,b ut that was pretty fuzzy.

Now, why am I not surprised the Pailn shotgun marriage has resulted in damp powder? Again, I'm thinking I know more than I need to know about people I don't know at all!

Yes, back to regular programming, althogh I can't help much, since I don't watch TV.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

The lady from the Bachelor was truly amazing, I think she has a real shot to win it and I am guessing was better than Tony's last partner.

Max's teaching skills will definitely be put to test. Both him and his real life fiance, Katrina, got bad partners.

The Cowboy and Woz are my picks to have the dance off next week to see who hits the bricks.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Dr

A single parent with one child has it rough but a single mom with fourteen?

The latest is that her publicist quit calling her "crazy". Can't say I disagree with him.

I try not to judge either but the accountant side of me sees the government paying for a misguided lady with welfare, food stamps etc.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Even in little Sherwood we can't avoid hearing about the Octomom.

Even a four bedroom for 14 might be a little small.

The Palin breakup was kind of predictible.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Dr

Even though the news is bad in these times being a news junkie I can't pull myself away from watching it.

I wonder if there is any single man out there that would be interested in a ready made family with 14 children. I don't think I am!

Bill

Pat said...

DR, I don't get any of this from tv. Mostly from radio. Talk about it today included that Octomom will not be paying for anything. These guys speculated that it was some web of identities -- parents, whatever -- spending money she has supposedly not gotten for interviews, pix, etc. If she can pay for the house, she'll lose her food stamps and whatever other taxpayer help she gets, so she can't say she's paying for it.

What a tangled web...