Sunday, April 26, 2009

Birthdays, Good Vibes, Tidbits, Personal Ads, and Books.

First the birthdays. Say Happy Birthday to Simply Amused from the great State of Texas. She works a job, takes care of a special needs daughter, and attends college so she is often to busy to post here. But I enjoy it whenever she does and would be remiss if I didn't ask all of you to wish her a happy birthday!

The good vibes are for DR and myself. DR has a couple of busy weeks coming up with a lot of visitors coming her way celebrate her Mom's 90th birthday. Say a prayer for her, send some good vibes and thoughts her way that the weeks will be easier than expected and the party for her mom will be a great success! And send prayers and good thoughts my direction as my physical is tomorrow morning. It scares me to no end. So please say a prayer or send good thoughts and vibes my direction that the physical will go well. Thank you.

The main tidbit is for you Project Runway fans. It returns in August on The Lifetime Channel. The producers have settled their lawsuit with NBC and it allows for a new season of Project Runway to begin in August. Another tidbit is for you Friday Night Lights fans. It has been renewed through 2010!

Personal ads? Do you ever read them? Are you ever curious about the motivation behind the ads? Here is one from today's Oregonian: "Lost Person, looking for a woman named Mary who was in Vegas 3/20/09 wkend w/her 3-4 sisters, 2 of which are twins celebrating 1 of the sister's b-day. We met at Tao nite club. Mary is in her mid 30's, a runner (5-10 mi/day) 5'3", 5'7" tall, blonde, wavy curly hair, has 2 sons age 10 & 8, I need to re-connect w/her. She has something of mine - my heart. Atlanta Bob" It then gives contact information. Do you find this romantic? Or do you find it more like stalking? If you were Mary would you respond or run? Do you think it is unusual for Bob to have so much information about Mary and in their conversations didn't ask for her phone number? Have you ever placed a personal ad?

Reading. I'm currently reading JUSTICE DENIED by J. A. Jance. I'm half way through and somwhat enjoying it, it is taking me a while to get into it. In Sunday's Oregonian they always list top ten book lists. I'm not going to list all of the top tens. You can read all the Oregonian's top ten lists by going to oregonlive.com. The list that I liked is "Paperback mass-market fiction" and its list is:

1. Tribute by Nora Roberts.

2. Where Are You Now? by Mary Higgins Clark

3. From Dead to Worse by Charlene Harris.

4. Angels And Demons by Dan Brown.

5. Montana Creeds: Tyler by Linda Lael Miller.

6. Nothing To Lose by Lee Child.

7. Curse The Dawn by Karen Chance.

8. The Whole Truth by David Baldacci

9. The Choice by Nicholas Sparks.

10. Twenty Wishes by Debbie Macomber.

Have you read any of the above books? The only one on the above list that I have read is The Whole Truth by David Baldacci. I'm a fan of his so I enjoyed the writing and the story. Dona I know you like to cook so I am going to mention an author that writes in a genre called "culinary mysteries". Diane Mott Davidson might be an author you would enjoy. Good stories and great recipes!

Off to buy the lawn mower that I looked at yesterday. I won't be able to use it until Wednesday because it is a battery operated mower and those take twenty-four hours to charge. Then Monday and Tuesday I'm at Mom's so the lawn mowing is scheduled for Wednesday!

May this be a happy day for all of you!

10 comments:

Bev Sykes said...

I think the only one on the list I've read is "Angels and Demons," but it's my favorite Dan Brown and way better than "DaVinci Code," IMO.

Pat said...

Happy birthday, Symply! Hope it's a great day for you.

To Bill and DR, lots of good wishes and happy vibes. For DR to have a successful party for her mom, for all mom's doc visits to go well, and for things to finally be DECIDED, so she can stop chewing her nails over other people's indecision.

For Bill, to get an excellent bill of health, and to get a little time for himself. I'd wish for a lot of time for himself, but I'm pretty sure I won't get that wish anytime soon.

I look forward to another Project Runway. I liked that show. And I'll try to get into Friday Night Lights. I'm sure it's good, but somehow it was never on at the right time for me.

I've never placed a personal ad, but I've read quite a few of them. Never answered one, though. I hope Mary answers Atlanta Bob. Maybe he lost her phone number. Maybe they missed each other on the last Vegas day and he never got it. Maybe she's pining, too.

Or maybe he's a jerk that she never wants to see again. Whatever, I'd like to think they re-connect and have a happy relationship.

I've read Angels & Demons, and found it enjoyable at the time but completely forgettable. The trailers for the movie look like a fun ride, but of course I don't take any of the religious stuff very seriously. I might read The Whole Truth someday. I like that sort of book.

Let me recommend a book. The Book Thief, by Markus Zusak. We read it for a book group, and all but two members, including me, absolutely loved it. The two that didn't are 1) a skimmer who never quite got into it, and 2) someone who thought it would be "just another holocaust book" and had just read two others and couldn't deal with one more.

But while it's set in Germany during WWII, it's not "just another holocaust book". It's not really describable without giving too much away, but I loved the author's way with words and his quirky writing style. I loved all the characters, some at first sight, some taking a while longer. The narrator was my favorite. Give it a try and tell me what you think.

dona said...

To Symply, Happy Birthday! Hope your day was Great!
To Ladydr, I agree with Pat on the good wishes and vibes and for a decision to be made...Nails are just not nutritious!

To Bill for a good physical, so you may go treat yourself after with something just for you.

About Project Runway, I am so glad...I really like that show for some reason, so can't wait. (reality junkie here)
As for Friday Night Lights, sorry never saw it..sorry Bill.....my bad? :)
As for reading, I have to say I am not good on reading like all you folks here. I do read but not the kind of books you all do. But I do like books on cooking and I do have a lot of those, although they are all packed up somewhere in storage, so thanks Bill for the heads up and I will check that out.

Then about the personal ads....all I have to say to "Atlanta Bob" is......What happens in Vegas...stays in Vegas.

SymplyAmused said...

Thanks, Bill and everyone for the birthday wishes... Here's hoping everything everyone has going on goes well...

William J. said...

Hi Bev

I haven't read either of the Dan Brown Books but maybe I should?

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Thanks for the good wishes!

I was really pleased to hear about Project Runway. They do have a couple of seasons of Friday Night Lights out on DVD. I'd rent it some night when I was bored, if you don't like it then no hard done! I'll even guarantee it and if you don't like will reimburse your rental fee!

I've placed a personal ad either and I read them all the time.
I'm not sure how I feel about Bob and Mary but part of me is very romantic and hope they meet, marry, and live happily ever after.

I actually like movies about the holocaust, it makes me never to forget although I really haven't read that many books about it. I did put your reccomendation on my list and will read it because I've liked a lot that you have suggested before.


Bill

William J. said...

Hi Dona

Thank you for the good wishes. Wednesday I am already looking forward too. All the doctor appointments done with, the lawn mowed and I may even go to comedy class Wednesday night.

My guess is Friday Night Lights is something you would enjoy watching with your husband. It is more than about football. A very realistic marriage.

I love your humor. The thing is if I had been impressed that much with a woman I would have guarded her phone number with my life. Part of me wants them to get together, part of me thinks Mary might be married or otherwise involved.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Symply

Hope your birthday was great!

Thanks for the wishes!

Bill

redwhistle said...

Hi Bill - I've been meaning to reply to this post and only now have gotten around it. Regarding that personal ad: First off as a single woman who was stalked for 7 years I don't appreciate ads like that. Further, if he had the courage to place a national ad, I would think he would have also had the courage to ask her out or at least inquire whether he could call her and obtain her phone number. I only found out by accident who had been stalking me and reported it to my local police. Further, I'm very very careful what information I put out there either in person or on-line. Perhaps I'm too cautious, but I've had some dangerous situations.

On a lighter note, I saw State of Play and loved it. Had it figured out half-way through the middle who the bad guy was. Am seeing The Soloist this weekend. Have been looking forward to that movie. Enjoy the sun as it won't be here long.

William J. said...

Hi Red

Let me tell you the line in the ad that made we kind of cringe and my warning lights went off. The line was "she stole something from me - my heart." That is not something you say in the early part of dating. It kind of warns of an obsession.

I kind understand meeting someone in the line at Starbucks. She smiles at you, you smile back. You talk a little while your are awaiting. To many people around to ask for a phone number. That kind of meet could result in a personal ad where the intention was honorable.

I am glad you found out who the stalker was and I hope once the police took over her quit bothering you.

I am glad you liked State of Play, I really did too. You will have to tell me about The Soloist.

Bill