Thursday, April 23, 2009

It's A New Day, Getting Back On Track

A couple of days ago we were discussing that a lot of us were feeling like we were stuck in neutral. DR suggested an assignment that I took to heart. What one thing can we do for ourselves that makes us feel like we have some of our life back and are getting out of neutral?

I met with my doctor yesterday for the six month thing, next Monday is the full blown physical. Doctors kind of scare me because have you ever noticed that when someone dies the last person they have seen is usually a doctor or a priest? OK, yesterday my reports were good, not as good as the last time but still good. With my three jobs, caring for mom, and life in general it just got to busy for me to continue my healthy habits. No daily walks. Focusing more on keeping my energy up instead of healthy eating. Even though I wasn't concentrating on my health during the busy work schedule I still outworked the younger ones at the firms. However, it is time for me to get back on track. Time to concentrate on healthy habits, on losing the weight I want to lose, on focusing on my own health as much as I do Mom's. After the full blown physical if nothing major shows up I won't see the doctor again for six months. The doctor made a bet with me. If I lose eighteen pounds in that six months he owes me a diet Pepsi for every pound over eighteen that I lose. If I don't make it to the eighteen pounds I owe him a diet Pepsi for every pound under eighteen that I lose. Piece of cake. I can do it. My walking regiment starts today! I'm also heading out as soon as my ten o'clock appointment is over to buy a new lawn mower. Taking care of my lawn should be good exercise, no?

The question for the day. What is one thing can you do to help you feel less like you are stuck in neutral? More time to yourself? More reading? More shopping? A new hairstyle? New Shoes?

On to another subject. Tomorrow is Update Day and I want you to think of one more thing to talk about tomorrow. A confession. Tomorrow I am going to confess about an incident that happened on my blog earlier this week that I handled poorly. In some ways it made we wonder if I should be doing the blog.

Stay tuned.

6 comments:

Lady DR said...

Good job on getting back to the walking habit, especially since I know you've enjoyed your daily walks in the past. Maybe you could consider a dog to keep you honest and help you meet folks (g, d&r). It is true that this works. Glad to hear the reports were good, if not as good as last time, but is that surprising, given the last many months?

I'll go ahead and post the one thing I think might make my life seem less in a rut -- getting back to my music on a daily basis. Playing the guitar or the piano at least an hour a week, even it if's only ten minutes at a time. I know I need to stretch and I know music is important to me and the only time I get involved with it is at line dance. As things are about to get crazy here, I think it's important to me to take one baby step forward for myself and music seems to be calling my name. That's a kind of "gut reaction" but it may be the starting point.

Pat said...

Good for you for getting back into healthy habits. I should most definitely do the same, at least as far as exercise is concerned, but I don't. So far. Like today, when I was early for a doc app't and there was a parking place 2 blocks from his office. I just passed it by and parked in the lot for $3. Typical, but at least I noticed it.
Could that be a first step?

I can't think of anything that would make my life seem less of a rut except to stop the daily mom visits. I know I can do that anytime I decide to, and even have under extreme circumstances like breaking my ankle. But somehow I don't. One of these days, I'll cut back, but not yet.

I'll be anxiously awaiting your confession tomorrow. Unless it was something that happened off-camera (or off-blog), I can't imagine what it could have been. Please don't consider dropping the blog. I look forward to it every day, your post and the comments, also.

William J. said...

Hi Dr

Nope, no dog in my future or cat either, I really do want to travel a lot if something happens to mom and animals kind of get in the way of that. Plus when I lost Katie it was awful and I just don't want to go through that feeling it again.

I hope you will set aside a little time each day and make music a part of each day!

And baby steps are always a good starting point!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I think, thinking about it is a first step. If I ever do get to California we can schedule some walks together!

I actually understand not cutting back the visits with your mom. I visited Dad everyday and it was traumatic with each visit but I am kept going back because I just had to know how is was doing.

I do hope at some point you will cut back your visits. Advise coming from someone that visits his mom everyday.

What happened on the blog happened early in the morning and only one regular reader and one regular visitor saw it. I am never going to stop blogging, I came to the conclusion that having my integrity questioned, instead of running from it I should stay and fight for it,

Bill

Lady DR said...

Pat, I don't know that you need to delete something, to get out of a rut. Maybe it's adding something that you enjoy or used to enjoy and no longer do. That was my thinking, in coming up with the music. I can't delete calling Mom or the doctor app'ts or that sort of thing and understand about your issues with not visiting your mom. But, can you find something you can do for yourself that will make you "stretch" as I said I wanted to do?

William J. said...

Hi Dr

Good advise about not deleting anything. We focus sometimes on what we shouldh't be doing when we should think about what we should be doing.

Bill