Thursday, April 2, 2009

What's In, What's Out

The Oregonian did a list today of what is in and what is out due to the different economic times we live in right now. You can read The Oregonian at Oregonlive.com and this list appears in their "How We Live Section." I paraphrased the following list and changed some entries to make them more national.

What's out: Organic mibcrobrew made from locally grown hops.

What's in: Six pack of PBR.

What's out: Satellite Dish.

What's in: Recycled rabbit ears.

What's out: Store bought cleaning supplies.

What's in: Vinegar and water.

What's out: Private Schools.

What's in: Public school.

What's out: I-Tunes

What's in: Free music podcasts,

What's out: Killing weeds with herbicides.

What's in: Killing weeds with boiling water

What's out: New Seasons (Whole Foods type Store)

What's in: Grocery Outlet (Discount Store)

What's Out: Cable TV

What's in: Hulu.com

What's Out: Shopping for clothes at department stores.

What's In: Shopping for Clothes at Goodwill

What's Out: Lattes

What's In: A thermos of Folgers.

What's out: Buying air freshners.

What's in: Opening the window.

What's out: Taking the kids to Hawaii.

What's in: Taking the kids to Noho's Hawaiian Cafe

What's out: Oregon pinot by the bottle

What's in: California wine in a box.

Again you can read the whole list at oregonlive.com. How has the economy changed what is in and out in your area? What is in your life now and what is out in your life now?

May you all be "in" today and the rest of your lives.

2 comments:

Pat said...

Hmmm... nothing much has changed in my life so far. I've lost money on paper, but nothing I was living on, so it's just a depressing fact that I try not to dwell on much. Ditto for a couple of my mother's accounts, and she will be living on them before too long, so that's even more depressing.

What's "out" around here are quite a few big stores that have closed. I do wonder what the city will do to try to fill those yawning empty spaces. The Mervyn's at the mall is the most depressing one, since it was one of the "anchor" stores and now that end of the mall is dark and gloomy.

I still want to buy a newer car, but so far, that's "out" because I don't get down to it. I've waited long enough for our sales tax to go up by 1%, so that was stupid of me. If I buy a brand-new car, I can deduct the sales tax, but it's all kind of a wash since new cars are expensive and lose so much value the moment you drive them off the lot.

So what's in are signs of generally hard times and of my awful habit of procrastination. Nothing much new there.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I wonder if the things on paper were improving if that would make things less depressing?

We've had both national and big local icons close here. Some local destination points. And some stay open but got into banjruptcy.

The Marvyns in our malls here were replaced by Dick Sporting Goods and the mall is pretty much full so that isn't so bad here.

As to procrastination except for tax season I usually even procrastinate at procrastination.

Bill