Monday, April 27, 2009

The Results Are In And Aging Isn't Easy

Some of this is pretty personal but I promised to be honest with you on the blog and sometimes to my own detriment I decide to keep that promise.

I know women worry a lot about aging but I'm going to tell you a little secret, so do us men.

OK, the last five months my health kind of went by the wayside. A concussion, bronchitis, three jobs, a mom to care for, twelve to fifteen hour workdays just didn't leave a lot of time to worry about my health or to do healthy things. No walks in the morning. Eating more to keep my energy then for health. Considering all of that I was surprised about how good my reports were. The good despite not walking and not eating properly was my cholesterol, total 133, bad 63, trys 159, ratio 3.5. All good. My prostrate was normal, kidneys good. Now the two concerns. My good cholesterol was only 38. The good needs to be higher than 40. And there were two thyroid tests, one showed normal, one showed lower than normal. Not a lot lower than normal but lower than normal. The plan is to test me again in ninety days and if the thyroid is still low to go on freaking medication.

I now have a plan for the next ninety days. Back to my walking. Back to healthy eating. Back to really concentrating on losing the ten pounds that I wanted to lose for six months now. Also to learn to like fish. Fish is good for raising the good c.

I'm hoping you will all keep me in your good thoughts, good vibes, and good prayers for the next ninety days so that the next test will blow the doctor out of the water.

Even though I actually think I get better with age, still aging isn't all that easy, is it? What are your concerns as you get older? Your health concerns? Your emotional concerns? Any other concerns?

6 comments:

Pat said...

It's not news to me that men worry about aging, too. I think sometimes they worry about it more than women do. But actually, and especially since you've let your healthy habits lapse for tax season, I think your tests sound great. Better than mine, last time I looked. And don't worry about thyroid. That's an easy fix. I've been taking thyroid for 35 years or more with no problems.

But don't let me discourage you from re-starting all that healthy stuff. I want to hear that you blew the doc out of the water. {g}

Most of us of any age have problems and concerns too numerous to mention. With any luck, most of them are small and/or fixable. My latest, only 2 weeks old, is that I seem to be getting arthritis in my hands. It's very odd and very sudden, and in the index fingers of both hands. One morning I woke up with the fingers curled and painful to straighten up. Now is that weird, or what!

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I always hear the old adage that men gett better looking with age and women decline. Personally, I think that is bunk and getting older is really a worry for everyone.

I was just at Walgreen's and noticed that they have a glove that you can wear that will help with arthritis pain. I'm thinking about getting one for myself.

I think when you woke with your fingers curled it could have been you slept on a nerve and not something else.

Bill

Pat said...

Men actually do get more attractive with age, IMO. Up to a point. {g} But I'm sure aging is a worry for just about everyone on some level or other.

The first time, I did think I'd just slept wrong, as that happened to me some years ago. But this is different and has continued for almost 2 weeks now, even though I've been wrapping the fingers at night so they can't curl. I've seen those gloves, and they might help, but the ones I looked at in CVS didn't come far enough along the fingers. so I just wrap a little ACE bandage and that seems to help some. Of course I'm hoping it'll just go away, and there's nothing to do for it beyond the wrapping anyway, so we'll see. During the day, they're a little tender, but don't actually *hurt* unless I do something too physical, so that's okay.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I also think women, in many ways, get more attractive as they age.

Have you tried some muscle pain cream for your fingers? It usually helps and you can actually get it at the DollarTree for a buck.

Bill

Lady DR said...

First, a belated Happy Birthday to Simply and hopes it was a day of sunshine and hugs.

My ISP has been down more than up since Sunday, sometimes up for an hour, sometimes a few minutes. I can catch emails, but getting to the net? Uh uh. It appears to be fixed, since they put an ampifier or some such on the system. I honestly can't remember the last time I got in here.

Bill, as to aging ... I think that as we get older, men and women share aging concerns, particularly about our health. Earlier on, women may worry more about appearance, but the playing field seems to level somewhere along about fifty or so. I'm delighted with your good reports and your good intentions and will certainly hold good thoughts that the next round of tests are all good or great.

To be honest, my concerns about aging center mostly on health issues, I think, especially after the last five years with Mom. If I can stay mentally sharp and physically well, I'm ready to continue on til whenever. OTOH, if I'm going to be miserable in some way, I have no desire to continue on and become a burden to anyone or, more important, lose my independence. I know we don't get to choose, but you asked (g). I have a "twingy" hip on occasion, that requirse tylenol to get through line dance some days and I have the typical periodic ache or pain or twinge and can't always do as much in the yard in one session as I'd like, but I'm very fortunate to consider myself pretty healthy (knocking wood).

I agree with Pat about the thyroid. Mine went off kilter when I was about 40, actually, and it's an easy fix with meds with no side effects.

Pat, have you taken alook at Ortho 7, an OTC med you can also get online? Mom's taken it for years and it does make a difference in the arthritis in her hands and wrists. I think it takes a couple weeks or so for it to become effective, but she sure believes it helps her and has even been of some help with the arthritis in her knees.

William J. said...

Hi Dr

I didn't think you were having ISP problems, I thought you were lost in a maze of vistors and relatives.

Mantal health problem worries me more than physical health after dealing with a dad with dementia. With medical improvements everywhere there are procedures to help us.

I would prefer not to qo on thyroid and since it was borderline and I only have one or two the symptons of low thyroid I am waiting until the next report, I have already lost four of the eighteen pounds that is my goal. I'd have a much harder time losing weight if the thyroid was really bad.

Hope the visits are going well, mom is enjoying being next to you, it hasn't been to traumatic for you and the birthday is or will be a hugs success!

Bill