Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Dark Knight

I sucked it up and went to The Dark Knight this morning. As you probably remember I've avoided going because I've been having a hard time getting over the emotion of regret of Heath Ledger's death. Regret that such a major talent left this world before he had the chance to reach his full potential and that after THE DARK KNIGHT we will never get see another performance of his. The movie intensified that emotion. To me THE DARK KNIGHT wasn't in the movie to me the darkest night was the night that Ledger died. The dark of an amazing talent feeling the need to artifically enhance his life. The dark that someone gave him prescription drugs without knowing how they interacted. The dark is the family he left behind.

The movie THE DARK KNIGHT was amazing. The story was so well crafted that you forgot it was a comic book hero. The special effects were great. The acting was so top notch that the weakest link was Maggie Glyllenhaal and that was a performance that under different circumstances we would have spoken more highly of it. However, in THE DARK KNIGHT her performance was overshadowed by the performances of Ledger, Bale, Eckhart, Caine, Oldman, and Freeman.

Five footballs. One football for Ledger. One football for Bale. One Football for the screenplay. One football for the special effects. One football for all the other supporting roles.

2 comments:

Kaye R said...

Hello Bill... I'm glad to hear you ventured out to see Dark Knight. Guess I'll need to go now as I've been waiting for your review!!

My heart goes out to anyone who feels the need, or sucumbs to the desire to "enhance" their life with artificial means. I can only think they do that out of some sort of desparation. Like you, my heart goes out to Keith's family. They new him like we never did... they will miss him the most.

I am glad you enjoyed the movie.
Always,
Kaye

William J. said...

Hi Kaye

Yes I had some extra time yesterday so filled up a couple of hours with The Dark Knight.

I wish they would catch and punish the people that gave Ledger the drugs.

Bill