Saturday, July 26, 2008

A Week In My Life

This week was two work projects, a couple of movies, the county fair, some writing, interaction with mom, four trips to the driving range, a lot of computer time, and checking different west coast cities for jobs. I'm not really looking for a job as I have plenty of work to do with mom, helping the firm that bought my business, helping some business clients organize their financials and consulting with some CPA firms on IRS audits that their clients are undergoing. However, if a job came up and it was sort of a dream job I'd look into it.

Yesterday was a day at Mom's house. Mom hasn't really decided what she wants to do yet. She is really starting to like the place where she is at and has made a lot of new friends. If she doesn't show up for bingo or meals they come get her or check on her. What her and I decided together is that if she decides to stay at Chehelam Springs then we have to sell her house. Her house is in the price range of homes that are selling, is a nice home on a golf course, and well kept. So it will stand out from the others in her area that are for sale. What we are going to do is that every Friday we will go to her home and get the place ready to be sold. So when the time comes for her to make a decision about staying at the retirement home or going home one of the factors won't be how much work has to be done to sell the house. Yesterday our mission was to go through the closets and the garage and get stuff ready for Goodwill. We got a ton of stuff ready and I am taking it to the Goodwill center today. While there I cooked lunch and she said it was the best lunch she has eaten for a while. I'm getting better at cooking! I think it is a good sign that Mom no longer uses Pepto Bismal as a salad dressing when I cook.

Thursday was doctor day. Mom had an 8:15 in the morning appointment. That followed a 7:45 appointment on Monday to take her to lab for tests. Good thing I am an early riser. The news at the doctors office was great. She said mom is getting better. All her lab reports and blood pressure readings were great!

Sunday I had breakfast with my one friend from Portland's elite society. T is probably in the top 2% of the Portland social scene, I'm in the top 98%. It isn't that I don't know more of them, I've met some through my business, have represented some of them but I've always felt that if you were dealing with a person's finances you shouldn't socialize with your clients because it could cloud your judgment. So I never socialized with them and as a practice turned down invitations. T gave me my first expert witness job and since then we have become friends. We are comfortable enough with each other that we can confide our darkest secrets. A lttle about T. He has diplomatic license plates because he is a counsel to a foriegn country. He never uses the plates. He was once referred to by the founder of a shoe company as "the attorney I couldn't afford to hire." He later served as an arbitrator for the shoe company on a legal case. He is several famous politicians' attorney. He never mentions them. He knows secrets, never tells them. He is also the most generous man I know. We had a great talk and a great breakfast and his wife S, joined us later on in the morning. I love S too and her I will get into some fun discussions when she is there. She hadn't seen me since I made my healthy changes and for an hour she questioned me about how I did it. I love T and S and am so pleased that they see something in me that they want to be friends!

Maybe some day I will share with you the story of my first time as an expert witness and the day in court that bonded T and I.

May this be a great day and weekend for all of you.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like things are going well for you and I am glad. I have to admit I laughed out loud about pepto bismal for salad dressing! :)

William J. said...

Hi Kim

It is always a pleasure when you post here. Things are going good here and I hope they are also going good with you.

The only thing that could be better is if I beat Dona to winiing the lottery.

Bill

Pat said...

It does sound like a pretty darned good week, Bill. I also loved the Pepto Bismol line, and I think it's very smart the way you're handling the possible house sale. I hope she decides to stay at the Springs; it sounds like it's good for her health, and it's certainly good for yours.

I'd love to hear the expert witness story sometime.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

It was my idea to do the house the way we are because one we have the time and two we don't have to do it all at once.

I see mom moving home but then missing The Springs and moving back.

Bill

Pat said...

You said, "I see mom moving home but then missing The Springs and moving back."

That would parallel my own experience, so you probably have it just right. Whatever, I hope it all goes without significant problems.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Actually I was thinking of you and your mom's experience when I wrote that.

Bill

Kaye R said...

Wow... busy week. And your Friday blog was how boring things were. See a problem here, Bill?

It's good you Mom is starting to like where she is. I think if we could get my Mom into something similiar, she would as well... she's just very closed to the idea. She use to be such a social person, I'm surprised she doesn't miss the interaction with others.

It's gonna be a good week!
K

William J. said...

Hi Kaye

Geez just because the week was busy doesn't mean it wasn't boring. (trying very hard not to admit that I am a type A personality.)

With your Mom, Kaye, you might want to check into what they call "respite care". The facilities allow a person to stay there for a week, sometimes for free, to see how the resident likes the new place. It gives their caregivers, like you, a week off and sometimes opens their minds up to options other than home.

Bill