Thursday, July 17, 2008

The Movies, More Golf, and Mom.

Two movies are coming out Friday, Mama Mia and The Dark Knight. I think I am heading out to Mama Mia with Meryl Streep and put The Dark Knight on the backburner. I'm avoiding Dark Knight because I know the number one emotion I will have during that movie is regret. I am just having a hard time getting past Heath Ledger's death. All I will think of during the movie is what a wonderful talent he was and what a waste it is that we lost him so early to an accidental drug overdose. All the reviews say Ledger's last role is memorable and he gives his best performance.
Maybe someday I will suck it up and go to The Dark Knight but this is not the day and the day won't come for a while. There will be a review on Mama Mia this weekend.

I have a new set of golf clubs now. Took my clubs to the driving range and even improved over yesterday. My arms and shoulders are just fine now. After I loosened them up yesterday they withstood the assault on them today.

I was called out to the retirement home where Mom was today because the staff thought she was ill and needed someone to be with her. She was very ill but it wasn't life threatening. I stayed with her all afternoon and she got well. I tested her blood pressure which was normal, tested her sugar which was normal. So it was a one day stomach virus. I fixed her soup and gave her some diet 7-1up and some soda crackers. She got well within three or four hours. Well enough to go down to dinner at her retirement home. I'm glad she is better. The call was very bothersome, however, because when you get the call you think the worse. You think oh no this could be the day she leaves this world and the emotions just overtake you. Thank God she recovered so fast and hoping I don't get one of those calls again.

May this be a great weekend for everyone!

8 comments:

Mary Z said...

What a relief that the phone call about your mom turned out to be a minor event. You really get to hate those phone calls.

Glad the golf is feeling more comfortable. And that you're enjoying it. Exercise is always good, and it helps to be fun.

Pat said...

Our local reviewer (who hates almost everything) hated MAMMA MIA. Said they took a very nice little show and mushed it up with "more singers, more dancers, more production numbers!"

I've seen some clips and it looks quite good to me, so I'll see it sooner or later, I'm sure. Ditto for DARK KNIGHT. It's very sad and a great waste that Heath Ledger died so soon, but I can't say I have any emotional investment in it, so I can enjoy the flick for what it is. But I'll wait for DVD, since it's 2:35. Too darned long.

Yes, we all hate those calls from the retirement home! I'm glad your mom recovered so soon.

Lady DR said...

So glad to hear the call about your mom turned out to be something relatively simple. Doesn't make it any easier to get the calls, however.

If you're looking for another movie this weekend, try "Space Chimps." Yeah, it's billed as a kid movie, but... it was written and directed by the son of a friend of mine and I've seen two other "kids" movies he did and thoroughly enjoyed both of them, because there's lots there to entertain adults, as well!

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I'm going to Mamaa Mia at 9:20 this morning. Our local reviewer gave it a D. He is also one of the few reviewers that gave Dark Knight less than an A, he gave it a B plus, he graded it down from an A because of the Heath Ledger factor, he said it was a performance of a lifetime and sure to get an Oscar but the movie was eerie from the standpoint that it was so dark and that the combination of Ledger's talent in the role and his death made it hard for him not to think about it during the whole movie.

Those calls take a lot out of me. But since I'm the chosen one, I'll have to survive them.

William J. said...

Hi DR

Those calls are rough and mom has one of those types of personalities that in her mind she jumps quickly from a cold to being dead or bed ridden which of course raieses her blood pressure and makes everything worse. Having dealt with it for years I know how to handle it. Get the blood pressure down, show her someone cares, give her 7-up and soda crackers, joke with her. Seems to work every time.

Since you have a connection to it I will check ou Space Chimps.

Bill



So glad to hear the call about your mom turned out to be something relatively simple. Doesn't make it any easier to get the calls, however.

If you're looking for another movie this weekend, try "Space Chimps." Yeah, it's billed as a kid movie, but... it was written and directed by the son of a friend of mine and I've seen two other "kids" movies he did and thoroughly enjoyed both of them, because there's lots there to entertain adults, as well!

Unknown said...

It's a relief that it turned out your mother wasn't seriously ill. It's always a worry isn't it, with the elderly. Glad to hear that she is much better.

William J. said...

Hi Mary Z

Sorry for some reason your message got lost in my email shuffle.

I was surprised how good oc exercise just the driving range was. It really helps the arms, shoulders, and other things.

As to Mom, I do hate those phone calls. She sounds so much better now. Yesterday she went to both meals, had a visitor for a couple of hours, played bingo in the afternoon and bridge at night. So there is an amazing turn around.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Snug

Always a pleasure to see you here. Hope things are good or at least maintainging with your elderly relative.

It is a constant worry with mom.

Bill