Friday, July 25, 2008

Since Life is Boring Right Now

I will go with an interesting fact. Thank you to my cousin Sharon. Tomorrow I will report on my week.

Manure... An interesting story.

Manure: In the 16th and 17th centuries, everything had to be transported by ship and it was also before commercial fertilizer's invention, so large shipments of manure were common.
It was shipped dry, because in dry form it weighed a lot less than when wet, but once water (at sea) hit it, it not only became heavier, but the process of fermentation began again, of which a by product is methane gas. As the stuff was stored below decks in bundles you can see what could (and did) happen. Methane began to build up below decks and the first time someone came below at night with a lantern, BOOOOM!

Several ships were destroyed in this manner before it was determined just what was happening .
After that, the bundles of manure were always stamped with the term 'Ship High In Transit' on them, which meant for the sailors to stow it high enough off the lower decks so that any water that came into the hold would not touch this volatile cargo and start the production of methane.

Thus evolved the term ' S.H.I.T ' (Ship High In Transport) which has come down through the centuries and is in use to this very day. You probably did not know the true history of this word.

Neither did I.


I always thought it was a golf term.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the ending line.

William J. said...

Hi Ellen

Hope everything is well with you and your family.

As someone that recently took up golf again I can relate to the last line.

Bill

Lady DR said...

"I always thought it was a golf term."

Yeah, you and my brother!

William J. said...

Hi DR

I would like your brother. lol

Bill

Pat said...

I love that story, Bill. It was on the radio for quite a while here, and I never did figure out why. It sounded like a commercial, but for what?

However, I just checked on Snopes.com, and the story isn't true, alas. Snopes says:

“This sorry piece of codswallop about exploding ships apprears to have begun its Internet life in Feb., 2002. The real story is that the word “shit” entered modern English derived from Old English nouns “scite” and Middle Low German “schite”, both meaning “dung”, and the Old English noun “scitte”, meaning “diarrhea”. Our most treasured cuss word has been with us a long time, showing up in written works as far back as the 14th Century.”

Not nearly as good a story, but I always meant to look this up after hearing the radio bits, and you inspired me to do so and then, unfortunately, to burst your (and my) bubble.

I do love your golf line.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I appreciate your imput. I thought the story might be false but it was such a good story.

It is good to know the true story of our famous swear word.

I would rather know the truth than worry about a bubble being burst. So thank you!

Bill

Kaye R said...

Hi Bill!

I too, love the golf reference!

I have a story to share... seems to kinda fit into the theme.

Most people don't know that in 1912Hellmann's Mayonnaise was manufactured in England. In fact, the Titanic was carrying 12,000 jars of the condiment scheduled for delivery in Vera Cruz, Mexico, which was to be the next port of call for the great ship after its stop in New York. This would have been the largest single shipment of mayonnaise ever delivered to Mexico. But as we know, the great ship did not make it to New York. The ship hit an iceberg and sank, and the cargo was forever lost.

The people of Mexico, who were crazy about mayonnaise, and were eagerly awaiting its delivery, were disconsolate at the loss. Their anguish was so great, that they declared a National Day of Mourning, which they still observe to this day.

The National Day of Mourning occurs each year on May 5th and is known, of course, as Sinko de Mayo.

WHAT?? You expected something educational from me? ::hanging head in shame:: Sorry... I couldn't help it.

Hope at least you got a "lol"
Have a good day tomorrow!
Kaye

William J. said...

Kaye

LOL. Loved the story!!

You have a good day also!

Bill