Saturday, July 19, 2008

Mama Mia Review and Unusual Headlines

I just have four things to say about MAMA MIA:

1. Meryl Streep can sing.

2. Pierce Bronsan can't sing.

3. The movie would have to improve to be lousy.

4. I should have sucked it up and gone to THE DARK KNIGHT.

Now on to other things. I have a cousin, Sharon, that lives in Virginia but commutes to her job as vice president of a Wall Street Brokerage House. She lives in her NY apartment five days a week and commutes home to spend weekends with her husband in Virginia. Despite how busy she is every Friday she sends me an email with different stories and different themes. This week the theme was weird headlines. Here are some of those headlines:

From San Francisco: TIGER WOODS PLAYS WITH HIS OWN BALLS, NIKE SAYS

From Madison, Wi.: ATTORNEY ACCIDENTALLY SUES HIMSELF

From Eugene, Or.: COUNTY TO PAY $250,000 TO ADVERTISE LACK OF FUNDS.

No Dateline: MEETING ON OPEN MEETINGS IS CLOSED.

From Salt Lake City, Ut.: UTAH POISON CONTROL CENTER REMINDS EVERYONE NOT TO TAKE POISON

No Dateline: ONE-ARMED MAN APPLAUDS THE KINDNESS OF STRANGERS.

From Colorado Springs, Co.: STATISTICS SHOW THAT TEEN PREGNANCY DROPS OFF SIGNIFICANTLY AFTER AGE 25.

May you all make headlines today and in a good way!

9 comments:

Mary Z said...

Love the headlines - especially the one about teen pregnancies.

I'm sure we won't see either of those movies. Neither one of us like Meryl Streep. And we generally avoid the so-called blockbuster action flicks. Oh, well. That's why they make different kinds of things. Will be interested in hearing your take on Knight.

Pat said...

I love the headlines, too!

Ah, so you didn't like MAMMA. I have now put it lower on my "to see someday" list. I did know Meryl could sing. Can't remember the movie in which she did that, but she did it well. I'm not surprised that Pierce B. can't. What about the others? I read where all three possible fathers were iffy about their singing ability when they got tapped to do the movie, but the producer(s)/ director assured them they'd be fine. Guess they were wrong.

William J. said...

Hi Mary Z

Those headlines had me rolling in laughter, I liked the Tiger Woods one.

I actually like Meryl Streep and she did a great job in the role she had. None of the others in the cast could live up to her talent.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I remember the movie Meryl sang in too, it was about the radio station but darn if I can think of the name of it.

Don't let my take on Mama Mia discourage you. It has some good points but when I sing better tha most of the cast members the movie is in trouble.

There were two really good singers. Meryl and one of the husbands. The one that played the stiff Wall Street type.

The others including the one who played the daughter were off key most of the time.

Bill

Pat said...

Was it Colin Firth who played the Wall St. type. He was the one in the article who said he didn't know if he could sing.

I'll see it eventually, but I'll wait for cable or DVD. I hardly ever get to an actual theater any more, but I may try hard for the Batman movie.

Mary Z said...

The other movie in which Meryl Streep sang was A Prairie Home Companion - the story supposedly set within the Garrison Keillor NPR radio show.

William J. said...

Pat

That is who it was, Colin Firth and he had a great voice. Unless it was someone else's dubbed.

Bill

William J. said...

Mary Z

Thank you, thank you. Prarie Home Companion was the movie that Streep sang in.

Bill

Pat said...

Thanks, Mary Z. Streep did a great job of singing in that movie I couldn't remember the name of and you could.

And Bill, I'm delighted to hear that Colin Firth can sing. I've been semi-entranced with him ever since he did Mr. Darcy in the BBC production of Pride & Prejudice.