Monday, July 21, 2008

What I Am Reading

Before moving on to reading just wanted to mention to Pat that I may have been wrong about MAMA MIA on one of the blogs I go too everyone loved it. One person said it was the most enjoyable movie experience they had in years. Maybe it is the gender gap.

I was given three books for my birthday. The first one that I am reading is Harlan Coben's PROMISE ME. I've never read Coben before but so far so good. Up next is Janet Evonovich's FEARLESS FOURTEEN. Very light but very fun and fast reading. It is a Stephanie Plum novel. Love them. Then it will be on to Phillip Margolin's EXECUTIVE PRIVILEGE. Phil's father-in-law is a good friend of mine. We worked together at an insurance company and have been friends since. I've met Phil a couple of times and he is a very nice fellow. Sometimes his writing is to graphic for me but I'm giving this one a shot.

Since we are talking about books now here are some of my suggestions for late Summer Reading:

Books on Tape:

CAMEL CLUB by David Baldacci. Five retired government employees get involved in a murder investigation. First in a triology.

BLIND ASSASSIN by Margertet Atwood. Two books in one. Very entertaining, well read.

Reading Suggestions:

SAVING GRACES by Patricia Gaffney. Five women get together once a week to talk about their lifes. Graces is a dog that the five rescued. Very well written, very insightful, towards the end get a ton of kleenexes.

ART OF DECEPTION by Ridley Pearson. Set in Seattle, Washington. Part of the Dahpne Matthews series. She is a police forensic psychologist that meets murder and a teenage runaway as a volunteer teenage runaway counselor. Well written, good story.

THE INNOCENT MAN by John Grisham. Normaly I don't like Grisham books because all of his endings are the same. However, this is a great book. Grisham ventures out into the realm of true crime and weaves an amazing story. A New York Yankee prospect is arrested for a murder he didn't commit. Be prepared to be angry when reading this book.

THE WHOLE TRUTH by David Baldacci. Defense contractors and crime. Baldacci is the master story teller.

CAPITOL CONSPIRACY by William Bernhardt. Politics and crime. Bernhardt is actually my favorite writer. He has a real strong female character, Christina. In this book terror leads the way as the head of Homeland Security is murdered. The political fall out that follows is realistic, frightening, and a great read.

SOMEWHERE IN HEAVEN by Christopher Anderson. I saved the best for last. The ultimate love story and it is true. It is the story of Christopher and Dana Reeves. So well written you fall in love with couple so in love with each other that nothing can derail their respect for each other. A MUST READ.

Hope you all have a great day today.

4 comments:

Lady DR said...

Great reading recommendations, Bill. Thanks!I second your recomendation on "Saving Grace" - great read. WIll be ordering some of the others. My "To Read" list has Bernhardt down as recommended by others. Time to log onto the library order page.

Pat said...

Thanks for the recommendations, Bill. I also like Bernhardt a lot. I haven't read Coben's "Promise Me", but I did read his "Tell No One", which was very good, if maybe a bit overcomplicated. The French have made a movie of it which is getting very good reviews.

Margaret Atwood is a wonderful writer, and anything of hers is worth reading. I like Baldacci pretty well, but didn't like "Camel Club" as well as some others, can't remember why. I like Ridley Pearson, too.

I just read "The Time Traveler's Wife" and liked it a lot; keeping track of the paradoxes kept my poor brain exercised. I'm just starting "The Omnivore's Dilemma" (nonfiction), which promises to be very interesting indeed, and also "Red Leaves" by Thomas H. Cook, who is a writer you should try sometime if you haven't already.

William J. said...

Hi Dr

Just so you know in advance Bernhardt's books tend to have a liberal slant, the book CAPTIOL CONSPIRACY has him moving to the right.

Bo;;

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I listened to Camel Club vs reading it and that made it better. I liked it because of the Oliver Stone character.

Coben is new to me and I have always loved Atwood. I've never heard of Thomas Cook but have added him to my list since we have the same tastes.

Bill