Thursday, September 11, 2008

9-11



The photograph to the left greets people as they come in the front door of my townhouse. This was given to me by my sister before 9-11. I've kept and moved it to its current location in memory of 9-11.

This is the first time that the anniversary of 9-11 has arrived since I started the blog and I really don't see how I can go without commenting on it. There were two events in 2001 that changed my life forever and they are somewhat related. I know where a lot of this group was on 9-11-2001, they were either in London or on their way to London. The CompuServe Womens' Issues group held their annual offline meeting in London that year. I was supposed to go but had to cancel when my dad had a stroke and I was needed here. What a lot of you may not remember is that my original reservations were to fly from Portland to New York and then on to London and the date of the flight was 9-11. Had dad not had his stroke I would have either been in or on my way to New York on that tragic day.

After dad's stroke in 2001 Mom was usually in good enough health to stay with dad alone at nights. I did the daytime caregiving. I remember the events of the 10th and 11th like they were yesterday. On the 10th my mom told me that she had the feeling that something major was going to happen and she didn't want to stay alone with dad that night. Over the years we all have learned to listen to mom's premonitions because they are right a good percentage of the time. As an example, when I had that car accident mom and dad were on the way to the accident site before anyone told them of the accident because she just *knew* I was hurt. So on the 10th I listened to Mom and stayed overnight at my parents house. On the 11th I woke up at 5 and went home to feed my cat, turned on the TV. I was stunned. After hugging and petting Katie, I turned around and went back to my parents house and woke up my mom. Later dad tried to get up on his own and fell. It would be the first of many falls for dad. Mom and I got dad up made sure he was OK, took him to the living room, put him in his lift chair, and we all watched the tragic unfoldings.

I can't help but think about how those two events in 2001 have resulted in the country's life parallaling mine. Dad's stroke was the beginning of a lot of tough years for me, 9-11 was the beginning of a lot of tough years for the country. For me there were many trips to the hospital with dad, sometimes trips to the hospital with mom with her two heart attacks and her two strokes, there was a heart scare for me, a cancer scare for me, the death of Katie after seventeen years of faithful companionship, the death of my dad after a liftetime of faithfulness and sometimes I ended up with the caregiving of two parents at the same time. For the country there were two wars, a failed economy, changes in leadership positions and so on.

However, I feel 2008 is a new beginning for both the country and myself. The economy is showing signs of life with the value of the dollar increasing, the real estate market downturn seems to be slowing, the monthly death toll in Iraq is decreasing and there is an exciting election where both candidates are talking change. For myself, my fitness goals are close, I'm the healthiest I've ever been, I'm mentally the happiest I've ever been, I am challenging myself more then I ever have (comedy class) and I am more open then I have ever been to adding a love to my life. I'm excited for both myself and my country.

I am going to close with two things in memory of 9-11-2001, one is a suggestion that you hug or shake hands with a stranger today and the other is to repeat my favorite verse:

Let there be peace on earth
And let it begin with me
Let there be peace on earth
A peace that is meant to be.

With God as our Father,
Brothers all are we.
Let us live with each other
In peace and harmony.

Let peace begin with me,
Let this be the moment now.
With every breath that I take,
Let this be my solemn vow….

To take each moment
And live each moment
In peace and harmony.
Let there be peace on earth
And let it begin with me.

Sy Miller
Jill Jackson

Where were you on 9-11? How did it change you?

Hugs to all!

16 comments:

Pat said...

Love those song lyrics. Well, maybe I could do without the God part, but that's just me.

I woke up to the radio on 9/11/01. They were reporting the first plane flying into the towers. I turned on the tv, and when the second plane hit, I knew for sure it was a terrorist attack. On that day and for some time to follow, I imagine I went through the same gamut of emotions as everybody else in this country. Anger, deep sadness, fear, vengefulness. Those feelings all come back, however diminished by time, when I'm reminded of that day.

How did it change me? I don't think it did. Subsequent events may have made me even more cynical about religion and politics than I was before, but I was pretty darned cynical already.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I wasn't sure how to put the lyrics on the blog without taking the God part out since I was quoting.

I couldn't remember if you were one of the group that was in London or if you didn't make the trip.

I was cyncical about politics that day and am even more so now.

I'm still angry that it happened and we really don't know how we let it happen, we just know it did.

Bill

Mary said...

I am going to write a post in my journal about what I was doing on 9/11. Some of you know most of it, but I don't think I've ever written the whole story.

If anybody wants the password, just ask.

William J. said...

Hi Mary

I think I know the password but I need a link to your blog. I keep losing the link.

Bill

Lady DR said...

On 9/11/01, I was working in my office at home and Himself was in his office. I heard him say, "Oh, my God," then call me to join him in the LR. He'd had an email from a client who was watching TV and saw the first reports.

Like most of the country, we sat transfixed in front of the TV as we watched the terrorism attack unfold.

How did it change my life? Not in ways I could readily identify. I remember Himself going direclty to his vinyl sign program and designing a logo of stark towers, with the words, "Remember the Towers" underneath, which he passed out to friends and acquaintances. I still have a front license plate with the logo and words.

Looking back, I wonder if that's where some of my ... anxiety, discontent, questions, lack of peace and balance began. I don't know. I remember Mom was scheduled to fly to CA that day and the Juneau airport, like all others, was shut down. It never stopped her from flying, as soon as the airport was open. I do remember the S16 folks being caught up in the incident, one way or another.

Like you, I think the event has affected our country and, in various ways, our population, not always in the same manner, not always in a positive manner.

I hope you're right about 2008 being a new beginning. As we discussed in a previous subject, I'm not feeling a new beginning just yet, more like a "holding pattern" with all that's going on. I'm ready to look for and/or create some positives, at almost every level. I know that some of that has to be through my own efforts.

As to the song -- I don't connect that with 911 so much as with the Gulf War. I was preparing to go into the East as Worthy Matron, in Eastern Star (Masonic) when the Gulf War started. The announcement of the first attack came during a visit to another Star chapter and the Worthy Matron there, as well as several others, had sons in the military. Each meeting starts with an "opening ode" and I decided that night that "Let There Be Peace on Earth" would be the song we started each meeting with for the year I was in the East. It is, to this day, one of my favorite and most hopeful and encouraging songs. Until we can accept that we're all connected, until we can let love replace hate, compassion and charity replace greed, let tolerance replace war, there will be no peace on earth.

William J. said...

Hi Dr

Himself sounds really creative I would have loved his logo of the towers.

It very well could be the day that some of your anxiety came foreward
I've read many Americans suffered from anxiety attacks after 9-11.

Sometimes beginnnigs have to have a holding pattern before a new start.

My heart just was very touched by you saying that "Let There Be Peace" started each meeting while you were in the East.

And I completely agree with the words you typed "Until we can accept that we're all connected, until we can let love replace hate, compassion and charity replace greed, let tolerance replace war, there will be no peace on earth."

Bill

Bev Sykes said...

Mary, Ellen, Sian, diane and I were all together, I believe. This is how I remember the day: http://www.funnytheworld.com/Sep12.htm

Mary said...

My url is http:marywa.diaryland.com Bill KNOWS the password (heh) but anybody else who's interested can email me at mary.startingover AT gmail DOT com.

Pat said...

Oh, Bill, don't take God out of your song for me. I know I'm in the minority. Sometimes I keep quiet, sometimes I blurt.

I didn't go on that London trip. I'm sorry I missed the trip, but not sorry I was still here when 9/11 happened.

I'm still hoping for a new beginning here. I liked Obama's comments tonight about getting more people involved in community service, and I sure agree that that's what should have been done after 9/11. That was the time for mobilizing a unified public on a "Manhattan Project" for energy independence. We're 7 years late, but we can still do it.

William J. said...

Hi Bev

I read your entry but I couldn't find a place to comment on it. Very good report. It must have been a surreal day there.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Mary

I tried to get in but either the user name or password was wrong so I emailed you.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I agree about Obama's comment and it is a shame that when the country was so united and the president had over a 90% approval rating that we couldn't have banned together and reached out to everyone through community service.

Bill

Kaye R said...

I always had a meeting with my employees on Tuesday mornings. When we disbanded, one of them said she had heard on the radio that a plane had hit one of the Twin Towers. As everyone else, we watched the horrors of the day unfold. I've since moved my meeting days to Thursdays.

September 11th was also my parents wedding anniversary. Made it very difficult to celebrate that day.

How did 9/11 changed me? I became a more visable American. I flew the flag 24/7 outside my condo. My BF at the time fixed a light on a timer so Old Glory would be illumiated during at night. My heart hurt for all those who had loved ones that parished.

I visit a particular AOL chat room on a pretty regular basis. One of the guys had an office in Tower 1. Because he woke up late that morning, he was not at work when the tower was hit; his employees were. After a few weeks, he would pop in the chat room every once in awhile, but eventually dropped out all together. I can't imagine how he felt after that day.

Last year, the office did nothing to recognize the day. I vocalized my disppointment that at least an email from the commissioner could have gone out, or an announcement for a moment of silence, but they did nothing. I work for a State agency that does contract work for the Federal Government. I couldn't understand that decision.

This year, they asked me to read over the PA syestem (I do most of the PA announcements already) a reminder of what September 11th means, and asked everyone to stop what they were doing for a moment of silence. It was hard to read, but I felt much better. It's hard to believe it's been seven years, but we should never forget that day in history.

After a meeting I attended yesterday, one of the ladies told me that she appreciated the announcement and that it brought a tear to her eye. It was a good thing.

William J. said...

Hi Kaye

What a touching 9-11 post. Thank you for it.

How eerie that your parents anniversary was 9-11 but I would look at that as happy events can be remembered on 9-11 too.

I love the way 9-11 changed you life. I think that may be a chat room I visit once in a while also.
And I remember him too. He no doubt when between guilt and feeling good about surviving.

I can't believe the office did nothing especially when it has a federal contract. Good for you for taking them to task. And good for you to announce a moment of silence this year. I am really proud of you.

Bill

Anonymous said...

my old boyfriend's sister's bday is on 9/11.....i feel we should remember but never dwell on it....life goes on and wedding anniversaries and birthdays should be celebrated.......anything else would be succumbing to negativity..

William J. said...

Hi Lisa

I think it is nice to have good events to remember on 9-11, anniversaries and birthdays etc.

I also think we can't ignore the anniversary of 9-11.

Hope this finds you well and in good spirits.

Bill