Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Dancing With The Stars Summary

I love Dancing With The Stars because it is a show that I can watch with my 90 year-old Mom and the only time I get embarrassed is when she says she would like to take Rocco out behind the barn.

For me the show isn't about dancing what I look for when I watch the show is as follows:

1. Are they having fun?

2. Do they show respect to their partner?

3. Are they working hard?

4. Do they respect the show that they agreed to go on?

What I saw this week was that while the women seemed to be better dancers the men seemed to be having more fun.

I became a real fan of Rocco this week. I'd love to have a beer with him. Wouldn't mine cruising for women with him, I would be happy with his leftovers. Rocco has a reputation in the cooking industry as having a temper, Karina has a reputation in the dancing world as having a temper. Neither showed it this week on Dancing With The Stars. Rocco was very charming and showed a lot of respect toward Karina. Karina seemed subdued by his charm. OK, maybe his Monday night dance wasn't the best but he has no performance background and was dancing with an injured partner. The dude also takes criticism well and works hard. He also is having a ball and it shows. His Tuesday night dance was great. I'm looking for really good things to come from this duo.

The other men that I thought were having a ball were Warren Sapp, Ted McGinley, Maruice Greene & Jeffrey Ross. Before I comment on them some of the women first:

Brook Burke can really dance. She surprised me the most. I love the way Derek treats her and how he teaches her. Right now she may be my favorite to win. The problem that I see is the way the judges grade could hurt her. When the judges score they don't really compare the stars to other stars, they grade the stars against themsleves. That means the lower scores that stay on have an advantage because they will be scored against a lower bar than the higher scorers. Brook set her bar high this week and it could hurt her.

I admire Toni Braxton for giving it her all despited heart troubles. Alec is a good partner for her. She also set her bar high but I am guessing will remain on the show for a long time.

Misty May-Treanor was kind of a disappointment but she works really hard and has a very good teacher in Max. I am betting by the end of the show she will be one of the best!

Susan Lucci was bad one night great the next. Like Len says, she will do well in ballroom bad in Latin. Her fan base will keep her on.

Kim Kardashian is nicer than I thought she would be, however, she should have been on of the two to go home this week. She just doesn't have it and while she seems to work hard at it she doesn't seem to translate what she learned to the dance floor.

I admire Cloris Leachman. I thought she danced well the first night but terrible the second night. I also thought after her dance Monday night she was way over the top! I thought she should have been sent packing this week. I hope her dancing improves and she learns to subdue her personality for the benefit of the show.

On to the Guys.

Warren Sapp. What a surprise. Big boys can move. Of course he has my favorite partner, Kym Johnson. I met her at the first tour and that woman has a smile that could light up any city at night! After watching Warren move and his exhurbance I think he may stick around for a while.

Ted McGinley was fun. He worked hard. He danced well. He shouldn't have been sent home.

Maurice Greene is really fun. If Cheryl can temper down his free spirit he has a shot at the final four.

Cody Linely. Wish I would have been that poised at 18. He has good moves and has youth as an advantage.

Lance Bass did well but he should have, he has a performance background. I think that gives him an advantage.

Last but not least Jeffrey Ross. When I heard another comedian would be on I kind of was disappointed after recalling Adam Corella. Corella was rude, not funny, and showed no respect to his partner. Ross was just the opposite. He has my kind of humor. He was very kind and respectful towards Edyta. He danced not bad the first night. I was glad they let him do his second dance on the results show and it was a decent dance. I kind of wish he hadn't of been eliminated.

Have a great day all!

12 comments:

Bev Sykes said...

I loved Cloris Leachman the first night and loved her clowning at the end...and any 82 year old woman who can try all that stuff has my admiration, but she disappointed the second night when she seemed to be doing the whole thing for laughs and not trying at all. I thought she should have gone. She's the Jerry Springer of this season. May last another week or two for comedy, but I think she'd like to quit!

William J. said...

Hi Bev

I also loved Cloris dancing the first night and her clowning at the end but just to a point, I thought she took it to far.

I do respect any 82 year old woman that has the cuts to go on the show but I'd rather see the ones better than her stay on. My guess is this week Kim goes and then next week Cloris goes.

Bill

Lady DR said...

As y'all know, I don't watch TV, but Mom kinda keeps me up on the important stuff, like the Cubs games and Dancing with the Stars and Grand Ole Opry(grin). Like you two, I give Cloris Leachman a lot of points for going on the show at 82. I remember her from the Mary Tyler Moore show days. As I recall, she was a bit off the wall back then, no?

Bill, I always enjoy getting your "take" on the various dancers. As to William Sapp and being big --some of the best dancers I've had as partners would make two or three of me and I've seen women who weighed in at 240 pounds who practically floated across the dance floor.

So, now, let's see... you enjoy the show and seem to have a good idea of what works and doesn't. So, when you've finished your comedy class, are you going to enroll in that ballroom dance class we've discussed over the course of time?

Pat said...

I didn't see all of any of the DANCING shows this week, so I can only comment on what I did see, and I still don't know who most of them are. I think it was Brook (is she a former model?) that I liked the best. And I was sorry to see Ted go. He had promise. The other guy, the one who went first, was hopeless, so he was a good choice to go.

I've long respected Chloris Leachman as an actress, but I think she's making a complete fool of herself on this show. Not funny. Sad, actually. Points for even going on the show at 82, but deduct all points for just being an embarrassing clown. The sooner she goes, the better. For viewers and for her, too.

Kaye R said...

I too admire Cloris Leachman but also thought she took the comedy a bit too far. What I want to know is how she managed to get her leg up on the judges desk?? I don't think *I* could do that!

DR... Bill has line dancing scheduled next (smiles), THEN we will see how far that new ventur will go!

And is it me, or does anyone else sense a couple of budding romances with some of these new couples?

William J. said...

Hi Dr

Cubs are going to play my Dodgers in the playoffs first round.

Warren Sapp is over 300lbs, I mean he isn't just big, he is huge. Dances like he is 100lbs.

Classes that I want to take are advanced improv, standup, cooking, and ballroom dancing. That would make me well rounded!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Brook got the best scores and did really really well. Brook is a model and tv talk show host. She was also in the David Hasseloff beach show, the name escapes me right now. She was a frequent guest.

I actually agree with you about Cloris but was afraid to post that strong of message because I didn't want to appear to discriminate against her because of her age.

Bi;;

William J. said...

Hi Kaye

I think Cloris used a crane to get her leg up on the desk.

I actually think there could be a romance between Rocco and Karina. Lance and Lacey could be an item if Lance wasn't openly and adimitedly gay.

Bill

Pat said...

Funny that I'm able to trash Leachman but you were afraid to because of her age. Being of a certain age myself, I don't fear such criticism. I guess she's rejuvenating her career, as I saw a little bit of her appearance on Letterman last night while surfing channels. She wasn't quite so over the top there, but still enough to be annoying.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

It also could have to do with you being a woman and me being a man, a man trashing a woman that age just would look suspect.

DWTS has helped a lot of careers, I doubt though that at 82 she really is interested in career but I could be wrong. I missed her Letterman experience but someone told me of another talk show that she went on before DWTS and was way over the top.

Bill

Sian said...

Thanks for the update Bill. Our UK series started last week - we have one of your dancers on this series - Brian Fortuna - love his salsa! Don't recognise any of your "stars" but don't know many of OUR celebrities either. But love the show because I love seeing folk learning something new, developing AND having fun!

William J. said...

Hi Sian

Brian was only on one season and was eliminated early. Like all the pros he was amazing!

You hit all the reasons that I love the show too. People going out of their Comfort Zone to learn something new! I can relate now. lol

Bill