Friday, September 12, 2008

Blog Block, Tell No One, and an Unusual Household Story

Blog Block is a form of writers block and it is what I have been having lately. My life has stalemated with no new ideas to write about. What I usually do when I have Blog Block is do a movie review and that is what I am doing today, reviewing the French film, Ne le dis à personne , Tell No One. Another thing I did to cure Blog Block is to walk around my townhouse looking for unusual stories to write about and could find but one.

The unusual story relates to the sculpture pictured. When I was in my own practice a young man came into my office and said he would like to have a return done but didn't have any money. I asked him what his occupation was and he was an artist. I said "OK, I'll do your return in exchange for you making me something." The return was a really easy return and would have cost him no more than a couple of hundred bucks. . He had gone to something like ten accountants before coming into my office and all of them siad no money, no return. I took a chance. He made me the above sculpture as payment for that return, a sculpture that I've been offered as much as a thousand dollars for. It does often pay to be nice, doesn't it?
Tell No One is a really good film based on a novel by the American author, Harlan Coban. The French film is directed by Guillaume Canet, the script being written by Canet and Phillip Lefebvre and stars Francois Cluzet. Cluzet stars as a doctor, Alex Beck, who has slowly been putting his life back together after his wife Margot was murdered by a serial killer. Eight years later Alex is doing well until he receives an email that appears to be from Margot with a video clip that shows his wife alive and well. The email includes a message that they are both being watched. This was a great movie, five footballs. One Football for the amazing story line. One football for the twist and turns that keep you on the edge of you seat. One football for Cluzet. One football for Kristin Scott Thomas who plays the wife of Alex's sister. One football for the music. If you don't mind subtitles this is a really good film to go see!
Hope this is a great day and agreat weekend for all of you.

4 comments:

Kaye R said...

Yes, it always pays to be nice. Payment shouldn't always have to be in dollars. As always, you did the right thing. (smiles)

William J. said...

Hi Kaye

My dad always had a saying if you did something nice and you lost money or an item and that saying was "they needed it more than I did."

Thank you for saying I always do the right thing.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Gee, blogger's block... interesting.

Neat sculpture and what a good idea to trade your time for his creation. It's much more attractive than just cash (grin). Like the others, I think it was good of you to do this and it shows your own creative streak.

Interesting about your dad's comment... my dad made a very similar one to me at a point when I didn't understand another's actions. Ya know, we know we have the same mom, now i'm beginning to wonder about our dads, given what you've shared over the years about yours.

William J. said...

Hi Dr

I've had blogger's block before but there was Dancing With The Stars and Top Chef to help out with it, now Tuesdays should be good to go with the previous nights comedy class.

Truthfully, I would have done the artist's tax return for free but he wanted to feel like he was paying for it and he made me a neat sculpture. Little did I know that he was such a good artist that his sculptures were and are displayed in the American Embassy in Japan.

Since we have the same dad and the same mom, I only have one thing to say, welcome to the family sis.

Bill