Monday, December 8, 2008

The Amazing Race Comes To Portland

The Amazing Race was interesting because almost all of it took place in the Portland area ending like I predicted on the grounds of The Pittock Mansion. Before talking about the winning and runner up teams here are the sights that the Amazing Race visited. Some of you that were here for the Portland Netstock will remember some of them. In Order of Appearance:

Newberg. Newberg is the city that borders Sherwood and is the city where the assisted living was that mom stayed in. The road the cars went on was 99-W which runs right by my house. I pass Bell Road, the road they had to turn on to get to their clue, every time I go to pick up Mom’s drugs. Newberg is in Yamhill County, a county defined by the number of vineyards it has.
From Newberg the teams went to the Bridge of The Gods in The Columbia Gorge. The Columbia Gorge is one of the most beautiful places on the face of the earth. Just stunning. When the crew was here for Netstock we took a Sternwheeler ride through the Gorge. We passed right under The Bridge of The Gods. It was where all the wind surfers were.

From the Bridge of The Gods they went to downtown Portland to The Portland Building but their real destination was The Standard Building. The Standard Building is where my brother started his law career, His first job was in it. It is two blocks down and one block over from Higgins where we all enjoyed the best crème brulee on the West Coast.

From the Standard Building they went to Adler Street. Alder Street isn’t all that far from where Saturday Market is held. They have a lot of food carts in one specific area on Alder street. They also have a lot of food carts in downtown Portland but usually not on weekends.

Even closer to where the Saturday Market was right near old town, Voodoo Donuts. An amazing and fun place. They make any kind of donut that you want in any shape you want. They have made wedding donuts, Elvis likenesses, donuts shaped like ships, or buildings like The Empire State Building, or any movie star etc. If you go there you may see a punk rocker having coffee and a donut with a guy in a three piece suit. It is true Portland!

From Voodoo Donuts they went to the pit stop at the Pittock Mansion. The Pittock Mansion sits on a hill and overlooks Portland. A beautiful place to take picture of our city. The building was originally owned by the founder of the local newspaper, Pittock, who sold it to the city when he was having financial troubles. They now have daily tours through the building. The architecture is absolutely amazing.

Coming in third in the race where the frat boys, Andrew and Dan. They got a cab driver that didn't know where Newberg. Couldn't overcome that. They should have called mem, I would have caught them up! Coming in second were the separated couple, Ken & Tina, who really were winners. At the end of the race Ken presented Tina with the rings they used to wear and they decided to give their relationship another go. It even had host Phil shedding a tear or two.
Winning a million books were the sibling team, Nick & Starr.

With the Amazing Race and Dancing With The Stars both over now my only two fun TV shows are Boston Legal and Top Chef. Guess I will have to find something else to do besides watch TV!

Hope you have such a great week this week that you feel like a million bucks!

9 comments:

Pat said...

Nice rundown on Portland, Bill. Brought back memories.

I was very unhappy that Nick & Starr won. I really disliked her. I wanted Ken & Tina to win. I liked the frat boys, but didn't think they had much of a chance. Oh, well, my favorites rarely win these things. Boston Legal finishes up tonight, I think, so we're both out of luck on that front.

One party out of the way. The book group's tea came off well today, with lots of quite funny jokes, and I got a nice set of coasters in the white elephant game we played. At the moment, I'm feeling like I sampled too many of the goodies provided, and will probably just have a bowl of soup for dinner. But after visiting mom for a couple of hours, who knows? I may be hungry again.

The volunteer lunch and investment group dinner tomorrow and my partying is over until any Christmas Day festivities. Will I be able to manage the lunch and the dinner without exploding? Stay tuned.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Even though I didn't think they had a chance in hell I really wanted the frat boys. I didn't really like Ken and Tina and like you Starr drove me nuts.

I will have to record Boston Legal, I hope this isn't the last season for it.

Glad the tea party went well. I doubt if you sampled to many goodies! I hope your visit with your mom will go as well as can be expected.

Have a great time tomorrow!

Next time you are the group come to Portland We will haven't to go to Voodoo Domuts!

William J. said...

Hey Pat and everyone else check out this link:

http://www.oregonlive.com/idahosportugal/index.ssf/2008/12/amazing_race_in_portland_voodo.html

Oregonlive.com is the web site of The Oregonian. I made the papers!

Bill

Pat said...

Bill, I tried the link, but didn't see you. It was the site index. I tried a few choices where I thought you might appear, but no luck. Need more info.

Alas, this was the swan song of Boston Legal. It won't be back, I'm sorry to say.

Voodoo Donuts sounds like heaven. Next visit for sure!

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I will try the link again

http://www.oregonlive.com/idahosportugal/index.ssf/2008/12/amazing_race_in_portland_voodo.html

My blog is mentioned half way down.

I fell asleep during Boston Legal but I recorded it and will watch it tonight after my boring accounting seminar!

Bill

Pat said...

Maybe I'm just blind, but I don't see your name or The Dahn Report anywhere on that page.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I copied their web page, see approxmiately the ninth paragraph down:

'Amazing Race' in Portland: Voodoo Donuts to Pittock Mansion
by Sean Meagher, OregonLive.com
Monday December 08, 2008, 1:35 PM

Amazing Race races through Portland.Sunday night, the season finale of The Amazing Race ended right here in the Rose City. Here's a roundup of handy links about yesterday's show.

The build up from The Oregonian last May:
Amazing Race, How Sweet the Sound (in Portland)

The sneak peek from The O last week:
Amazing Race finishes in Portland

The Amazing Race Web site:
recap: CBS The Amazing Race

videos: Look for Season 13, Episode 11

Featured Portland food carts (w/ video):
Portland's food cart pods in the Amazing Race (video)

Quick synopsis: Amazing Race ends in Portland

"Yes, our fine city was the last pit stop in this season of reality TV's Amazing Race, where contestants "race around the world" for a million dollar prize. The three final teams flew to Oregon, where they performed several challenges including an exhilarating zipline ride across the Bridge of the Gods. They also spent some time running around downtown, visiting the food carts on SW Alder Street as well as our beloved Voodoo Doughnuts."
A quick recap of the show:
Associated Press writeup in the Star Tribune

RIGHT HERE:

A blog post on it from TheDahnReport:
Amazing Race comes to Portland

Map of all locations, ending with Portland May 14:
"rawalsh" Photobucket map
from, Reality Fan forum

Local landmarks visited:
Bridge of the Gods: Google Map

Pittock Mansion (final destination): pittockmansion.org

See more in I love Portland
Send To A Friend | Print this | Permalink

Pat said...

Okay, I finally found it. But not from either of your links, just for the record. All I got from those were long lists of things, none with your name or "Amazing Race". I finally found it by knowing the date it was posted/published. But of course I had already read it. {g}

Anyway, congrats on making it into the paper. Was it in both the online and print versions?

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Just the online version as far as I know.

Bill