Wednesday, December 31, 2008

My Top Ten Personal Stories Of 2008

Today is my top personal stories of 2008.

Leading the way as my best story is my improving health, I am the healthiest that I have ever been.

Coming up next is my going way out of my comfort zone and taking a improv class that was meant to be eight weeks but turned into eleven weeks when I went on to the intermediate class. I not only learned about improv, I also learned several lessons that will help me in life. Don't fear failure. Don't be afraid to go out of my comfort zone. That I might have latent talents that I need to bring to the forefront. I gained confidence and reduced my shyness a little. The highlight of the class for me was going on stage by myself, not remembering a word I said, and receiving compliments from the instructor and students about how well I did. It was a life improvement class that if I take the lessons that I learned in the class and go forward with them it could be a life changing class.

Number three on my list is my Mom's declining health and my efforts to distance myself from her. The first was dramatic to watch and very emotional as it reminded me how traumatic it was to watch dad decline. The second was an effort that didn't succeed.

Number four on my list is the increase traffic on my blog and the wonderful people I met this year. When I first started the blog I'd get very few hits, now I've had visitors from forty-three states and twelve countries. I met people that I didn't know until I stated the blog, Dona, Kim, Snug, Janet, and Mary Z. What a treasure it was to meet each one of you. People I knew from different areas visited the blog and offered up nice comments Lisa (Dancing With The Stars Message Board) and Symply (From the AOL Gentlemen Over 40 Chat Room) complimented my writing and Kaye also from the Gentlemen Over 40 chat room surprised me by saying I had multiple layers to me. Those that knew me well from the old Issues Forum Days found out new things about me, Sian, Pat, Bev, Mary, Shirley, DanaRae, Ellen, learned that I counted my veggies. I have had a great time getting to know all of you, learning about your lives, and most of all treasure your support. Thank you all.

Number five on the list is my own economic decline. The retirement fund that I thought had me set declined thirty-seven percent forcing me to look for a job to recover my loss.

Number six on the list was finding that job easily.

Number seven on my own personal list was being remembered by my Aunt Ella in her will just at the time I needed a financial boost. God love her.

Number eight on my list was making a decision not to spend another winter here. My mom also came to the same conclusion so both of us are going to explore winter retreats in other areas this next year.

Number nine on the list was the visit of an old lover which resulted in the decision that it is best that we no longer contact each other and both move on with our lives.

Number ten on the list was actually going on a couple of dates!

What are your top personal stories of 2008? There doesn't have to be ten of them. I would love to know more about you!

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE MAY 2009 BE YOUR BEST YEAR EVER!

8 comments:

Bev Sykes said...

The top two on my list would have to be the birth of our granddaughter (FINALLY!) and our daughter's marriage.

In fact, I just wrote an entry that is not exactly, but sort of a list of the important events of 2008 for me. It's here

Lady DR said...

Hmmm, don't know I've got a top ten, but here are personal stories, not necessarily in order of priority. Some match Bill's.

*Adjusting to Mom's failing health and the fact there's nothing I can do to "fix" most of the issues for her has been and continues to be a challenge, particularly when combined with more "down" days than "up" and all the questions surrounding the future.

*Going out of my comfort zone was agreeing to facilitate a "Guitar Jam Class" at Furman U's living in retirement program. Having picked up a guitar for the first time in my life about five years or so ago, it was somewhat daunting to discover many of my "students" had been playing for 20 or 30 years, three or four had played professionally for several years, one was as music major (PhD) with professional experience. We all survived and the core members of that class are still meeting every Monday afternoon to "jam" for an hour or more. If and when the dust settles on domestic/caregiver/work issues, I'll move out of my comfort zone to rejoin them, as I get weekly emails about doing so.

*Doing research and getting Mom the gel injections for her knees, which made a huge difference for three months and we're still hoping will continue to reduce her pain.

*Finishing the ghost write of a 1000 page tome on historical advances of our ancient ancestors and doing a partial on the second volume of same. Unfortunately, this will never come to fruition, as the client passed away in December from an unexpected series of strokes. Still, the sense of accomplishment is there.

*Establishing a schedule that allows me to get in from two to four days of aerobics at the pool and two hours of line dance each week, in the interest of my physical and mental wellbeing and sticking as close to it as possible, when doctor app'ts can't be arranged around mine.

*Induldging in my love of gardening and outdoors early last spring (seems like years ago) and landscaping a 20'x30' entry garden for our main door, using all natural materials and mostly native plants. (Oh, to have the time to do more of that!)

*Discovering the Carewear Program at a local hospital, which allows me to indulge my penchant for knitting, crocheting and (newly found) looming projects and knowing they're going to folks who'll appreciate them (premies and newborns in neonatal, "chemo caps" for cancer patients, prayer shawls and lap rugs for long term patients or their caregivers). Selfishly, it lets me engage in a bit of creativity and passes the time in doctor's waiting rooms.

*Supporting a friend and his wife through a very scary cancer diagnosis and necessary surgery early in the year and hearing that his six month report is clear and hearing him talk about his hunting trips this fall and seeing him looking hale and healthy.

It's not ten, but it's been one of those years of lots of "blah" stuff that needs to be done but isn't too exciting and certainly would never make "news at eleven." Maybe that's a good thing (g).

William J. said...

Hi Bev

WHAT AN ADORABLE BABY!

Read the answer to your questions, I think I would have had a hard time coming up with answers to a lot of those questions.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Dr

You did great!

It isn't surprising since be are caring for a relative with declining health that some of our lists match.

I love the idea of a guitar jam class. Did you learn any tricks from your students?

Bob passing away is tragic enough but before the manuscript was finished makes it even more tragic.

I love the idea of knitting chem caps for cancer patients. You are amazing.

Yea to your friend being clear!!

Bill

Pat said...

You and DR have certainly put me in the shade. Both of you accomplished a lot in '08, and I am impressed.

The year for me seemed to be a year of just waiting. I can't think of a single milestone in my life except for breaking my ankle and finding out what it's like to live "handicapped" for several months. I don't recommend it.

Getting my mother more settled into the place she lives was more or less my focus throughout the year, but I'm not sure whether I was a huge factor in that or whether it's all due to the staff. I know they appreciate my constant visits, and I know she does, too, whether she remembers them from day to day or not. Whatever is responsible, she seems more contented there and when I announce I'm leaving after a visit, she's no longer startled or sad about it, only says, "All right, when will you be back?" That's progress.

I hope to have more to report on a personal level for '09.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I think you are much to hard on yourself. I think you accomplished a lot in 2008. I think when a person is active and then are felled by an injury just letting go and doing what the doctor says is huge. If I remember right you recovered from the ankle injury fast than predicted by the doctors. In my book that is huge.

Getting your mother settled is also huge and progressing to the point where she is contented and the progress made is amazing. I'm going with the person that your mom is connected to the most as the reason not the strangers, the staff.

You did great!

Bill

Unknown said...

Readers from 12 countries! Wow, that makes you an international writer. Congratulations. And to think that you were puzzled when someone from Singapore visited your blog. :)

May it be a great year ahead for you and yours.

William J. said...

Hi Snug

You are the only regular reader from outside the US. Sian from England stops by once in a while.

However, I have had visitors from the following countries:


Norway
Canada
Belgium
Iran
Malaysia
Phillipines
Italy
Sweden'
Jamica
Australia
Korea
Saudia Arabia
India
Hungary
Estonia

The most often searched phrase is "I love you to pieces". I wrote an entry once about how I didn't like my sis and mom saying that o me and while it had few comments it brought a lot of visitors to the blog.

A reader is someone like you that contributes, a visitor is someone that just stops by once. You are in the reader and friend catergory!

Bill