Monday, December 1, 2008

The Amazing Race/Sundays

Last night's Amazing Race was very entertaining but of course I jinxed the Mother/Son team by saying that I wanted them to win. The four teams remaining going into last night's episode were, first, mother-son Toni & Dallas, second separated couple Ken & Tina, third brother-sister Star & Nick and last the frat boys Andrew and Dan. This segment of the race took place in Moscow. This race included a lot of mistakes by the teams especially by Toni & Dallas. Dallas messed up by leaving his backpack with all their money and passports in a cab. They spent most of the night begging for money from Russian citizens, who were extremely generous to the team. Andrew and Dan ended up at the wrong park one time. Then Ken & Tina got to the pit stop but were not allowed to stay there because they didn't pickup one of the clues along the race. They had to go back and get the clue and get to the pit stop again. Star & Nick kind of glided through the segment and ended up first. Believe or not the frat boys, Andrew & Dan, overcame several obstacles to end up second, Ken & Tina were third. Toni and Dallas just couldn't overcome losing their money and passports and were eliminated. The finals are next week and one of the teams will win a million bucks. I am going to jinx Andrew and Dan by saying I am kind of rooting for them, they are just such nerds.

Now on to Sundays. Sundays really are my favorite day. It starts out reading the Sunday Paper and doing one of my favorite exercises, clipping coupons! Then it is out to a nice brunch with good men friends, Ted, Bill E, & Doug. Later in the day it is reading the NY Times or going to a movie! Sometimes a nice dinner out with Mom. Sometimes some shopping in the afternoon. Sometimes an experience at the Keller Auditorium. Then at night it is sitting down and relaxing in front of the TV and watching something mindless.

Now I was thinking if I am lucky enough to meet the woman of my dreams the Sundays may have to change a bit. We get up in the morning. I fix breakfast ( I like to cook breakfast) which we just kind of enjoy breakfast, coffee and chat. After breakfast we have two papers. One from the city that we live in, one from either New York or Chicago. We quietly sit there enjoy each other's company while she reads one paper and I read the other. After we finish we switch papers. When we are done with the reading we get dressed and head out to a movie or a play or just a walk. Then at night we quietly enjoy the mindless shows on TV together! Could work.

What is your favorite day of the week? What do you married folks do on Sundays?

12 comments:

Lady DR said...

I think, right now, my favorite day of the week is Wednesday. It's my play day and I don't place any "productive expectations" on it, unless Mom decides she wants to go for groceries. I get up, check grocery specials online, enjoy an early lunch and head out to line dance for two hours of fun and good times. If I accomplish anything beyond that, fine. If not, equally fine.

Others may well disagree, but your idea of a "married Sunday" works well for the first six to twelve months, in my experience. Especially if you're both working all week in offices and weekends are special times together. OTOH, making Sunday a special "us" day likely keeps the romance alive. For us, Sundays are "putz and putter" days, sometimes together, sometimes separately. However, we both work out of the house, we tend to reserve our evenings to spend together and we get the periodic day together for a road trip to pick up ham gear, so we don't set aside Sundays as "our" days. We're luckier than most, in that we can pick "our" days and brunch and such whenever we want, sort of. Kind of. Then, again, we've been married 22 years and both worked out of the house the last six or eight, so we've more or less made up our own rules for what works for us. That usually boils down to unplanned. (g)

William J. said...

Hi Dr

What is the latest on your Mom?

I can appreciate how you enjoy Wednesday as busy as you are. Those me days restore energy.

OK six months of Sundays and the change the game plan! I always though people should continue "dating" after they get married. I also think spontanoues could be good for a marriage. Of course then there is my idea of a duplex marriage. When each has their own home with a door in between.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Hi, Bill - Mom's still awfully draggy. We saw the ortho -- what a waste of time, he asked three questions that could have been answered on the phone -- then she was going to force herself to do some grocery shopping. Once again, the scooters at WalMart were largely out of order and she ended up going home. I wrote a less-than-subtle email to Walmart Corp.

Yes, I think dating after marriage is a Good Thing. Dinner out at a nice restaurant is our usual choice and often a last minute decision. Our day trips are dates and our RVs are long dates (g). It's way to easy to let life get in the way of maintaining romance. This is one of the things that's changed, with all the caregiving, and I'm hoping to find a way to reinstate dates as a more frequent occurrence. OTOH, we thoroughly enjoy staying home together, maybe watching a movie. I'm afraid we've become homebodies, more than "get out and about" folks.

William J. said...

Hi DR

I'm sorry your Mom is still draggy and I am praying that she gets better each day.

A lot of the stores her forget to charge their riding carts and it creates havoc if they run out of juice in the middle of the store.

I'm glad you wrote to Walmart and hope that you got a response. My guess is having those carts out of order violates the Americans With Disabilities act.

Some of the best dates I've had in my dating life were just staying home for dinner and a movie. Some really nice chats. Would love it if those evenings continued after finding Ms. Right.

I'm kind of a homebody too!

Bill

Lady DR said...

Thanks for the prayers, Bill. I know it takes her longer to come back, each time she's sick for any reason, so am trying to be patient Thank goodness, the b/p was looking good again today!

Hadn't thought about the Disabilities Act. Wonder if a store is to have "x" carts, based on population or some sort of figures on how many people shop there. I do know that four carts out of order seems unreasonable to me.

Dinner in and a movie is a lovely date, far as I'm concerned. Especially since NetFlex provides a consistent stream of choices.

Bev Sykes said...

One day is pretty much the same as another around here. My "favorite days" are more determined by what's on TV that night. At the moment, then, there is no ONE day/night which stands out.

Kaye R said...

I guess my favorite day starts late Friday afternoon and goes into Saturday. That is my "Kaye" time.

Bill... I love your married Sunday plan. I'm just wondering if it would be difficult to read the other one's paper after coupons were clipped? (giggles)

DR... (hugs)... I've had the same experience with the carts at Walmart. Two years ago that is what I had to depend on to do my grocery shopping. I would always go early Saturday morning (6-7am) in order to get a charged up cart. I was always surprised that there seem to be the same non-working carts towards the back of the cart line piled with "stuff". During one visit, my cart gave out way at the back of the store. I slowly made my way up to the front, got cart #2, drove back and put my groceries from cart #1 to cart #2. Then cart #2 died half way back to the registers. Painfully made my way up to the front to get a regular cart, transfer all groceries AGAIN, then to the checked out. The clerk could tell I was uncomfortable and asked "are you okay?". I responded as nicely as I could, "no, after having 2 of your scooters crap out on me today, I hurt and will be seeking pain meds shortly." She had no response. I thought the least she could have done was to find someone to help me get to the car and unload the groceries.. but nooOoooo. I wrote a nasty gram to Walmart when I got home. I got a phone call a few days later (to voice mail) stating that they were working on getting their carts serviced and appologized for any inconvenience I may have experienced that day. I wasn't impressed. I haven't been back to that particular Walmart.

Tomorrow's Wednesday, DR!

William J. said...

Hi DR

It not only takes them longer to recover they also have such an immune system that they pick up diseases really fast.

I'm glad her BP was looking good and hope it continues to improve!
was looking good again today!

The Disablities act requires them to provide access to the store for disabled people and have one check stand large enough for a wheelchair.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Bev

It is always nice to see you here!

I'm sorry the Davis Due didn't make it into the final three!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi There Kaye!

When I worked for someone else Fridays were always my favorite day!

I would wait until after both papers were read before clipping the coupons. And if the movie we went to was a chick flick I might take the paper to the movies and clip the coupons during the movie!

Wow, Kaye, what a nightmare with the carts! I think you should have written to the local television consumer reporter and outed them!

Bill

Lady DR said...

Kaye, what a nightmare with the carts. And it's unbelievable no one offered to help you get your groceries to the car, all things considered!

Maybe healthy people just don't "get it?" Still, we were raised to always help where we could. Maybe the fact I had a classmate struck with polio when we were in 6th grade made me more aware. Or my work with the blind in Mpls. Dunno. Do know that it's not hard to spot someone who could use a little assistance, whether it's help emptying their scooter cart or giving someone who obviously needs support the cart you just emptied in the parking lot or whatever. And the smile you get in return in worth more than money.

Be interesting to see if I get any response from the email. I'm not looking for any. At least there was a working cart available today when we went.

William J. said...

Hi Dr

I always go back to places that help mom. And stay away from the ones that don't.

Let us know if you hear from Walnocart.

Bill