Saturday, December 20, 2008

California Here I Come

Or Nevada or Arizona but I won't spend another winter here. My house has an enclave that is usually protected from the elements. Not this time. Here are junks of ice that I had to clear away from my enclave to get to the newspaper. The other picture is the enclave to my front door before the ice storm hit. They estimated that Sherwood got ten inches of snow before the ice storm hit.



Further out on my front lawn was about a three inch layer of ice which had nothing between it and the ground. If you crunched the ice with you foot you got to soft snow on the ground and were able to walk on it.

At least the leaves are not longer a problem. This is my backyard BEFORE the ice storm hit.



These are two of the four trees in my backyard that caused the leaf problem.



My car covered with ice, my car covered with snow.




Bigfoot was here last night.



It is not going to warm up enough today to thaw and it is only going to warm up enough tomorrow to have a partial thaw. Christmas Day will be the first time in over two weeks that both the low and the high will be above freezing. The predicted high is 39, the low 33. A heat wave.
My sister wants me to come in a stay with them tonight in case the power goes out and I might do that to keep her happy. However, I think I am fine here as long as my power stays on. If I do go in to Mom's house and fight the relatives as well as the snow I may not be posting for a couple of days.
Hope things are going well for all of you and my heart goes out the East Coasters that post here that are dealing with the same elements. May things warm up for them soon!

2 comments:

Lady DR said...

Oh, dear. Doesn't sound like your enjoying winter atall this year, my friend. Looking at the photos reminds me of why we did twelve years in FL and have now settled happily in SC. We may get an ice storm every few years, but nothing like what you're getting hit with. About 24 hours without a thaw is our max. 'Course, if the power goes out, we plug the refigs into the RV generator and, push come to shove, move into the RV with heat and cooking facilities and generator lighting. It's not reached the "relocation" stage yet (knocking wood) in the eight years we've been here.

I think it's particularly unsettling when you simply do not have this kind of weather as any kind of standard to get used to. Played that game in the Midwest and AK.

I have another friend in Portland, a gal who loves snow and gets all excited when a few flakes fall and she can enjoy them. Had an email from her this morning saying, "Enough! I've had it. Make it go away now." Up to this point, she's never understood why, when she'd get excited about snow forcasts, I responded "better you than me!"

Here's hoping your weather clears, you'll be able to remain in your own cozy home and just go over to Mom's to celebrate Christmas.

William J. said...

Hi Dr

Im typing this from Mom's. Brother in law came and got me this morning, if he didnt get me today I wouldnt be able to get here for Christmas. They are now predicting a snow storm every day until Friday when the temps finally go into the forties. The lows will be under freezing at night warming up in the day time, melting then freezing.

I will check in from time to time and may do a blog entery but not as frequent as before until Friday.

Bill