Monday, December 15, 2008

Let It Snow

We had an early winter storm with four inches of snow in Sherwood on Sunday turning into extreme cold weather Sunday night and this morning. The thing that is weird about the Portland metro area is some areas didn't get any snow and some areas got up to five inches. West Linn a city maybe ten miles from here got five inches, while close in East Side Portland got little or none, Vancouver, Washington which borders Portland and is considered my some to be part of the Portland metro area got none. This morning my temp gauge shows it to be 16 degrees.

I went to high school in the Southern Oregon town of Klamath Falls. K. Falls is a mile high, the same altitude as Denver, Colorado. When you got snow there you still went to school. If it snowed 18 inches it didn't matter, you went to school anyhow. I think the only time the schools closed in my years at K. Falls is the one time when it was 26 below and the boiler in the high school froze and they had to close the school. You learned at a very early age in K. Falls how to drive in the snow. In Portland they don't get the much snow so most people living here don't really know how to drive in it. The worst ones are the SUV drivers that can't figure out that four wheel drive may help them go but it doesn't help them stop. I get my jollies during winter storms here by having an SUV pass me at a to high of speed and then when I go around the next corner they are in the ditch. A man has to get his laughs somewhere.

This is my car. This is after cleaning it off three times. I went out in the snow yesterday a few times to test the roads to make sure I could get to Mom's in case of an emergency. I had no trouble. But if you picture three times as much snow on my car as this picture shows, you have an idea of how much snow we get.



This following is a picture of the road this morning that is right outside of my house. I don't know if you can tell but it is a sheet of ice. I don't drive on ice, snow yes, ice no. You can't get traction on ice. It is supposed to be better later this morning after they de-ice the road, put sand on it, and cars drive on it and beat it down. I won't be one of the first cars driving on it. I'll wait.



Seems like a good day for me to do some housecleanng!

I hope the snow doesn't rain on your parade today or this holiday season!

8 comments:

lisa said...

Did Jim shovel your driveway Bill?

William J. said...

Lisa

LOL, nope I have to. Darn it.

Bill

Pat said...

So funny about the SUV drivers! I'd get the same amusement as you do from seeing them in the ditch. Hope nobody gets hurt, though. Then it's not so funny.

In a way, I envy you the snow, though I don't have things like snow tires or chains, so would find it difficult. Just a little on some day I can stay home would be nice. We're getting rain in the L.A. area, which is always a nice thing to happen, but it does remind me I must get the leak in the roof fixed. It leaks onto the corner of my washing machine, unfortunately not into the basket part, so I put a bucket there and captured a little water last night. They say it'll rain for the next couple of days, but they just canceled flash flood warnings, so it's all good.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

If the SUV drivers were hurt I'd call 911 and/or stop if it was safe to. But they don't ever seem to get hurt except their pride.

The snow is actually kind of fun but the extreme cold weather is annoying.

I'd also settle for rain right now! To bad about the leak, I hope it isn't a large one. I'm glad they canceled the warnings!

Bill

Kaye R said...

And here I sit, kinda hoping we see some sleet tonite so I can have an excuse to stay home tomorrow. I put the winter comforter on the bed before my party on December 1st so the bed would look all fluffy and stuff. In addition to making the bed look fluffy, it's also toasty warm. Kinda hard to force yourself outta bed in the morning. (smile)

Just everyone stay safe!

William J. said...

Hello Kaye

Nice to see you!

I had long johns, two paids of pants, two pairs of socks, a t-shirt, a shirt, a sweater, and a hat on and still damn near froze when I went to get my mail.

You stay safe too and don't travel tomorrow to work if it is icey!

Bill

Lady DR said...

Bummer on the snow and ice and cold, especially since you folks aren't used to it. As to the SUV drivers -- we saw so much of that in Juneau. Like four wheel drive is a magic tool for stopping on ice? I think not! Yeah, we used to grin as we passed them in the median, about five minutes after they sailed by us. As they say, you can't fix "stupid."

Few folks here have a clue how to drive on snow, let alone ice or black ice. I tend to just hunker in and leave the roads to them, except when there's a power outage and we need to go rescue Mom (we have a fireplace and, worst case, can all pile in the RV and fire up the gas furnace and stove there).

Stay warm and stay inside as much as possible!

William J. said...

Hi Dr

I'm used to it from winters in Pocatello, Idaho and Klamath Falls, Oregon but there are so many here that don't know what to do it makes it dangerous for the rest of us that do!

Those SUV drivers just don't get it, stopping on ice at a high rate of speed isn't the brightest thing in the world to do SUV or no Sub.

I have a gas fire place that runs whether the power is on or not so I can always stay warm.

I'm trying very hard to stay inside for do the words cabin fever mean anything to you?

Bill