Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Hope But First Ice

That was the headlines in this morning's paper. Today will be the first day in ten days that we haven't had snow or ice. The temps are still below freezing which means the roads are still not really drivable, chains are required anywhere you go in the Portland area. Two more storms are expected, one Christmas Eve and one Christmas Day. Then on Friday the temps wil be in the hight forties and the melt starts.

Bless my brother-in-law's heart, he came and got me yesterday when there was about an hour window with the weather and brought me into Mom's. Had he not done that I would have been stuck at home alone for Christmas. So I am now at Mom'with my sis, my brother in law, and mom. We have decided to make a party of it, play games, share stories, and have fun until we can get out. By the way to drive the four miles from my house to Mom's took forty-five minutes.
I'm just grateful that I have relatives that care so much for me that they will brave the elements so I won't be alone for the holidays.

There are currently five hundred people stuck at the airport. Some will miss Christmas. Those are the ones that my heart goes out to. One neat story that tells the good side of Portland. A couple with a four wheel drive and chains drove to the airport even though they weren't going anywhere. They saw a couple with a couple of small children sleeping on chairs, went and took them home with them to spend a night with them until their flight went out the next day. Don't you think that is the true spirit of Christmas?

Well off to get my best game face one for the day so I can bring home a couple of victories against my very competitive family. May this be a great day for you!

6 comments:

Mary Z said...

The weather reports out of Portland do sound awful. We've just been BRRRRRRR cold here (high yesterday was 30), but at least no precipitation.

I love the story about the folks going to the airport - it was a great thing to do. All our friends and family who have traveled by air this season have been delayed - all over the country. Guess that's the story!

Stay warm, physically and with the love of your family.

lisa said...

Thbis snow is child's play. If you want to see REAL snow and ice storms, come to New England! STOP YOUR WHINING!! lol..ps..How's your neighbor fairing Bill? (the one who did your leaves..Is he ok?)

Pat said...

I don't know if you'll even see this until after the festivities, but I wish you a very happy Christmas and further, will wish that the storms depart, all that blasted ice melts away very soon, and that your New Year is the best ever.

The same wish to all of you shivering out there. SoCA is downright balmy compared to what you're going through.

William J. said...

Hi Mary Z

Today has been better but it is still almost impossible to get out and when you do the parking lots are a sheet of ice. Some people here are loving the snow but not this kid.

Hope it warms up where you are at.

Some people's flights here have been delayed up to four or five days. It makes it really hard on them. I hope the airlines start adding planes to get everyone home by Christmas.

I am really appreciating my family this year!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Lisa

I'm going to continue to whine about the snow until it rains and then I'n going to whine about that. lol

The problem is that New England is prepared for it and used to it, we aren't used to two inches of snow let alone over twenty.

Jim is doing great. He has four wheel drive and has made it into work everyday. I would have stayed home!

Hope things get less wintery for your!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I'm going to try to check in once or twice a day until I get home. I may not make any new blog entries until I get home but I will check the messages.

And I will return the very Merry Christmas for you too and also hope that your 2009 is the best ever!

Bill