Sunday, December 23, 2007

Christmas Memories

Merry Christmas Everyone.

Growing up we always had great Christmases. My aunt and uncle weren't really an aunt and uncle they were a second set of parents. My cousins weren't cousins they were really a second set of brother's and sister's. Throw in a few set of grandparents and a neighbor or two and we always had really large celebrations. Over twenty always there. Always at my parents' house. My aunt and mom cooked a feast for kings and queens.

I loved every Christmas but two really stand out.

We were in Klamath Falls, Oregon during my high school years. Klamath Falls was home to an Air Force base, Kingsley Field. Highway 97 was the main North route out of town. Our house was the last house out of town on Highway 97. The Christmas I am recalling we were all sitting at the table when there was a little bit of noise that caused mom to go out and look out of the front door. There was quite a snow storm going on. Standing on the road hitchhiking were two Air Force men. Mom just couldn't stand two people being alone on Christmas Eve and went out and asked the two Air Force men to join us for dinner. They came in and were just overwhelmed by mom's kindness. All of us kids, all seven of us, each gave the Air Force men a package that was wrapped for us. When the gift opening and the dinner was over Dad took the two Air Force men to the bus depot and paid for their way home. Not only did I learn a lot about my parents that night but I also learned a lot about the true meaning of Christmas.

Flashback a few years before then when we were in Pocatello, Idaho. I was in the third grade. We had our typical large Christmas Eve party. There were a lot of gifts under the tree. After the dinner the youngest kids honored their responsibility by passing out the gifts. As the gifts slowly started disappearing under the tree I wasn't getting any. All the gifts were gone and I still didn't have one. I was wondering what horrible thing I did for Santa to forget me when the doorbell rang. Dad said "Bill, that is for you." I went and answered the door and admidst the softly falling snow tied to a tree in our front yard was a beautiful Shetland Pony. Dolly and I went on to become really great friends. I used to ride her to school where they had a hitching post out front. We used to ride in parades together. When I got mad we ran away from home together. My favorite Christmas.

May this joyous season bring the answer to all of your dreams.

No comments: