Saturday, December 29, 2007

Internet Dating

Just when I was seriously thinking about trying Internet dating again I received an IM that reminded me of probably the worst Internet dating experience anyone could have.

Where I am at is looks really doesn't matter. A person can go on a diet, take some night classes, get a new hairstyle, a lot faster than they can change their character. What really matters to me is trust. I know we all tell those little fibs, like maybe we shave a couple of pounds off of what we tell people we weigh, or maybe fib having about a date on New Year's Eve. My date this year for New Year's Eve is some chocolate ice cream and a good dvd. So those little fibs really don't bother me. What really bother me are the big lies that translate into the lack of character.

I've tried Internet dating three times. The first there was no chemistry on my part. The second there was no chemistry on her part. We all three became friends, a person can never have enough friends, and eventually each of the first two ladies found men they wanted to be with. Now the third date was a nightmare. She was thirty years older than she had said she was, which would have been fine had she not lied about it. The picture that she sent wasn't anything like she looked, not even close. Again the lie was upsetting. We are already off to a bad start. After dinner she had a heart attack. I'm not kidding. Good thing I knew CPR. On the way to the car she keeled over. I called 911. They took her to the emergency room and I followed the ambulance there. I don't know why but I guess I felt an obligation to make sure she was OK. Now the big lie, I found out she was married when the emergency room doctor gave me her husband's phone number and told me it would be a good idea to call him. I did too. What else was I supposed to do? I lied about who I was. He came and took over and I went home. I checked the hospital a couple of days later and she was released to go home. Curiousity got the best of me. I'm glad she survived.

Yesterday I was on the internet checking out sports scores, movie times, updating the web page for our fantasy football league, sending email, reading blogs and I get an IM. It was from the heart attack lady. She still wants to be friends. I politely said no thank you and that I wished her well. Then I set my IMs so as not to receive her messages. Cold maybe but with so little trust there the possibility of anything happening between us would equal the possibility of me dating Sandra Bullock, zippo.

I still think I will give Internet Dating another shot. Maybe match.com or eharmony dot.com. Time to go update my CPR certificate.

8 comments:

Bev Sykes said...

Oh my goodness! Was that the women we all talked with you about? What a nightmare, Bill. I'm so sorry! I don't understand how people can do that to other people, especially someone as genuinely nice as you.

William J. said...

Hi Bev.

I'm not sure but I think the one we all talked about was a really nice lady from Virginia, Kim. We just didn't it off but still are friends just not romantic friends. She was pretty much who she said she was. She had now found someone to share her life with and is very happy.

I didn't tell very many people about Barbara, the heart attack lady, because I was embarassed by the lack of judgement that I showed. Truly I was surprised at the IM because I don't think she really understands that she did anything wrong.

DianeS said...

I don't think it's cold to shut her out, it's just self-protection, which you're entitled to.

And I think your main problem with Sandra Bullock, other than that she lives closer to me than you, by many hundred miles, is that she's already married. But she doesn't know what she's missing!

William J. said...

Hello DianeS

Fellow Itsy, the only true way.

I think it is a combination of a little bitterneess, self-protection, and that I just don't want to deal with it.

Jesse James is my competition no?

Thank you for the nice comment about not knowing what she is missing.

DianeS said...

Bitterness seems reasonable, after having been lied to fairly outrageously.

I do believe her husband's name is Jesse James. He does something mechanical on some reality show or something. Something to do with cars.

She lives out here near Austin (I'm thinking Smithville, but I'm not sure) when she's not in Hollywood or on location somewhere. However, I haven't yet run into her in the grocery store or anything. When I do, I'll be sure to mention you.(g)

William J. said...

DianeS

I think Jesse has a lot of tatoos too.

From what I have read she loves Austin and would never move.

Brother says he has seen her in Jackson Hole, Wy where I guess she has a summer home too.

DianeS said...

I'd have a summer home in Jackson Hole if I could, too.

I have no idea what the current Jesse James looks like. Tattoos are certainly possible! I don't care for them much, but then I doubt he cares what I think.(g)

William J. said...

Jackson Hole is beautiful brother has moved from there to another beautiful place in Wyoming, Dubois. He is the only attorney in a town with a population of a thousand.

As to the tatoos I am with you. I don't like them much. Except the kind that Mary and the other Diane got at The Saturday Market when there were here in Portland for that get together.