Monday, December 10, 2007

A Gift From Heaven.

On Sunday I decided to knock one or two items off my Christmas list. Mom and Dad were married for 65 years . He died right before Thanksgiving in 2003. Every year of their marriage at Christmas time dad would buy her Chanel #5 perfume. Even when he had to work two jobs to afford it. When Dad died Mom had to let go of so many things I decided that she still needed the Christmas memory of Dad giving her perfume. Every Christmas I buy a Chanel #5 gift set for Mom. I get a friend whose handwriting mom wouldn't recognize to sign a card that says "With love. Watching over you from heaven. Your husband." On Christmas Eve when mom isn't watching I place the gift under tree. The next morning she always finds it.

After lunch I took off for Macy's. My parking karma is amazing. I never have problems find a parking spot. Off to the Macy's perfume counter. Found the Chanel counter. There was a really pretty, nice helpful saleslady behind the counter. She wanted to know who I was buying for. Don't know why but I told her the story and why I was buying the perfume. Honestly, I didn't mean to make her cry. She had just lost her dad a couple of months earlier. I'm a sucker for a woman crying. When a woman crys I'm usually next. Man, I have never gotten so much free stuff. I left not only left with a paid for $105 Chanel #5 gift set but enough free stuff to give half the women in the world.

There are the important events of my day.

2 comments:

Bev Sykes said...

What a beautiful thing to do for your mother, and what a connection you made to the saleswoman. I love serendipity like that.

William J. said...

Wow my first comment!!

I really love my Mom and she is still dealing with Dad's lost even though it has been four years. 65 years together makes for a lot of memories and being alone has been so hard to adjust to that if I can just help with one memory that is so easy to do.

The lady at Macy's was so nice. I went back a couple of times to thank her but she was on a different schedule.

Thanks for posting.