Sunday, December 30, 2007

CompuServe's Issues Forum

The Itsy Bitsy Spider Went Up The Water Sprout.

I first logged on to the Internet so I could follow my niece's basketball career. She was playing at Central Arizona Junior College. Such a small school you really couldn't get normal information like scores from the local paper. With the Internet I was able to follow her career. She became a junior college All American and then went on the play at the University of Nebraska for two years becoming all Big-8. She is a beautiful gal, could have been a model. Now she is the head pharmacist at a store in Newberg.

When I was looking for Internet providers I chose CompuServe. Seemed the easiest to use and had the most sports sites. On one of those days when I was looking for some information about Kristi's basketball career I also checked out a few other features that CompuServe had. They had a lot of forums. The three that attracted me the most were the Authors Forum, the Sports Forum, and The Issues Forum. The Issues Forum became my home forum. It was a great forum. People had to use their real names which not only resulted in bonds being formed but kept the vitrol at a managable level.

The Issues Forum was divided in to sections. Mens Issues, Womens Issues, Political Debate, Elder Issues, Boomer Issues and so on. I checked out several of the sections. The Mens Issues was just to mean for me. When women visited there they were treated poorly, certainly not the way I was taught to treat either guests or women. I eventually lurked in the Womens Issues Section. What a treat. Sort of like a high school dream to learn what women are really talking about. I lurked for a very long time. It seemed to be the one place on the Issues Forum where people were becoming friends. Talking about what was going on in each other's lives. Discussing serious issues like the legalization of drugs and the not so serious issues like which bread maker is the best. When there were disputes it was done in a very respectful way of each other. There were real quality women there. Most happily married. A medical transcriptionist now theatre critic, A music editor of a very popular TV show now retired, Authors, Attorneys, CPAS, supervisor of the national domestic violence hot line now retired, a journalism major that now manages an income tax preparation office, Two wonderful ladies from England, an MSW, A police department transcriptionist now retired and so many more.

I lurked and lurked until that one day a man came to the forum and posted in the Womens Issues section that women should stay in the kitchen and the bedroom and not be out in the working world. It really upset me. My grandfather was bedridden so my grandmother had no choice but to go out into the working world. My mom was liberated long before women's liberation. She always worked with dad in his various businesses. So I responded to the man's post with a much different view than he had. Then I became accepted by the women on the forum. I never really fit in anywhere like that before. It was great becoming friends with such a great group. We had annual offline meetings. I was able to attend the first two, in Boulder Colorado and in Seattle, Washington. and hosted the the third right here in Portland, Oregon. Even had a brunch at my house on the Sunday Morning of the week they were here, complete with a sign on my garage "Danger Men Cooking." Later some of us got together in Ashland, Oregon a beautiful little town on the Oregon/California border known only by Oregonians, Northern Californians, and New York Times readers.

The debate that lasted the longest on the Women's Issues forum and is still going on in the Yahoo group started after the demise of CompuServe was how the childrens' spider song is sang. Is it the Isty Bitsy Spider or the Eency Weency Spider? Of course it is the Itsy Bitsy Spider but it doesn't matter how much evidence you give the Eency Weency Spider group they just won't accept the correct way to sing it. It is sang on TV commercials, to start a Robert Fulgham lecture, seen in print in numerous articles as the Itsy Bitsy Spider. But will the other group concede? Nope. I love them anyhow.

If you want to read a great blog that really shows how well rounded the women on the Womens Issues forum are go here

http://www.funnytheworld.com/2007/Dec/30.htm

Of course she says nice things about me but the real reason to read this post is her personal top ten list. It has everything. Love, sadness, happiness, adjustments, humor. She is a really great writer and I wish she would write a book. The only drawback is she is one of those Eencys.

20 comments:

Mary Z said...

Hi there! It's great to find your blog. I found the link on Bev's "Funny the World" blog. You two have got me started thinking about my top-10 for 2007, to put on my blog. Come visit sometime.

Z's World:
http://www.zelleworld.blogspot.com/

William J. said...

Hi, Mary.

Already visited your blog and love it. It is really well done and I love the pictures.

I think Bev and I got back almost 16 or 17 years as do the others that used to be on the Issues Forum.

Anonymous said...

Lovely post. Only problem is I *wasn't* supervisor of the NDV hotline. Way more responsibility than I'd willingly take on! I ran the library for the agency that also ran the hotline -- and still does.

But of course you're exactly right about the One True Way to sing about spiders. It's just too bad we can't convert our good friends.

William J. said...

Wow so nice to see you here Diane. Sorry about the mistake we have to write it off to my old age memory.

I'm glad we agree on The One True way.

Anonymous said...

I found your blog via Bev and I have to tell you I really enjoy reading what you have written. By the way, my birthday is 06/21 as well and I never know what horoscope to read either!

William J. said...

Hi Kim. Nice to see a fellow Gemncer. Thank you for your nice comment.

Happy 2008.

Mary said...

Bill, you are adorable and I will love you forever, but you just have to accept that it's eensy weensy. Always has been, always will be.

Mary Z said...

I'm for eensy weensy, too.

William J. said...

Mary,

Nice to see you here. As much as I love you I can never sing the song diffrently than the one true way. I just could not desert the Itsy Bitsy following not even in an eency weency way.

William J. said...

Ok Mary Z.

Which one of those eencys got to you.

Diane said...

Oh you poor deluded colonists...... we have been trying to tell you for years that the correct and original *British* version is incey wincey - alternative spelling Incy Wincy.

It's the spider's name - not a description of its size!

http://www.britishcouncil.org/kids-songs-incy-wincy.htm

and it was a bikini that was itsy bitsy teeny weeny...

dianeb (the other one)

William J. said...

Wow. Hello Diane from accross the pond. We now have a third entry but I'm sticking with the Isty Bitsy Group. I'm determined.

Bev Sykes said...

How lovely to find, through your blog, that Mary Z, whom I have been reading for some time now, is one of the "true believers."

You, however, need more education.

Mary said...

I love it, an itsy/eensy war has broken out in your comments! After you've only been blogging for a couple of weeks! And Mary Z, welcome to the One True Way!

William J. said...

Bev,

I really can't believe it is anything other than Itsy-Bitsy when there is now a new commercial on TV with the little girl singing the Itsy Bitsy Spider went up the water sprout.

Just more evidence that you eencys refuse to recognize.

William J. said...

Mary

It is a sure fire way to get a raging debate going tell people how the sing the song the only true way, Itsy Bitsy Spider.

I love MaryZ's blog but she is kind of wrong about the spider song.

Pat said...

Heard there was a new itsy/eensy war brewing over here and just had to weigh in. Of course it's an itsy-bitsy spider. Everyone knows that. Those eensies are just deluded and need to be led to the One True Way.

Tricia said...

(whew) Got here as soon as I heard you needed some support! Of course it is itsy bitsy! Everyone else is just plain wrong!

Bev Sykes said...

Go back to your room, Tricia.

William J. said...

Tricia and Pat

Welcom to fray. Nice to have two really nice women that know the true way to sing the spider song.