Thursday, December 20, 2007

Miscellenaous Items

I was depressed so I called help line it was transferred to a phone bank in Pakistan. I told them I was sucidial and they got all excited and asked if I could drive a truck.

Now that the tasteless joke is out of the way.

I want to thank the person that sent me the email yesterday. I'm trying to track down the information for you. Part of the research resulted in my finding a first edition They Were Expendable. Published over sixty years old that is no doubt worth something. I'll be off to Powells and their rare book room for an estimate of its value.

On to funny moments in life. It is sometimes is fun to look back on life and how unimportant some things are now that were traumatic back then. In High School I was neither a nerd or popular. I just didn't exist. Overshadowed by some great siblings. Sis was prom queen. Bro was all state in three sports. I won a Howdy Doody look alike contest. Neither was I exactly a klutz. Just wrong place, wrong time derailed my athletic career. Our school had a student body of 2,500 with 570 in my class. The last player on our team would be a starter at many other schools. I was that last player. So I wasn't a klutz. We were visiting our aunt and her family in Glendale, California between my junior and senior years in high school. My sister and my cousin, Sandy, took me roller skating. I'd never been on roller skates before. Had gotten in shape for football and hadn't bought new clothes so my pants didn't exactly fit. It was at a roller skating rink in Pasadena. My sis and Sandy convinced me that if I went out to the middle of the rink where everyone was skating to the music they would hold on to me. Should have known better than to trust them. The music started sis was on one side holding on to my arm, Sandy on the other side. My pants kept slipping so I kept holding on to them. Sandy and sis got to laughing and let go of me. I went flying, my pants went down, tidy whities exposed, I hit the railing and did a pretty good somersault over the railing into the concession stand. I was so embarassed. We had a real hard time in the emergency room telling the doctor how my aunt broke a blood vessel in her eye laughing. I was scarred for life.

No comments: