Saturday, March 22, 2008

Chapter One

Since you were all so nice about the introduction I am going to share the first chapter with you. What I am trying to do in the introduction and the first two or three chapters is first show the event the story is based on and then introduce some of the main characters. I have taken protection against someone stealing my writing not to mention that the blog has a time and date stamp. Of course I'm not worried about the regular posters/readers just someone that I don't know about. Here is chapter one, unedited, unreviewed, first draft form. Please forgive some of the language but it is how gang members talk. Single spaced again because that works better than double space on the blog.

CHAPTER ONE

September 21, 1989

Northeast 15th and Alberta, not far off of Interstate 5, where drug deals were so openly consummated that the corner became known throughout the North Precinct as "crack corner." Run down buildings, boarded windows, bars on store fronts, shots rang out nightly, the sound of sirens frequent. The two had to meet under the cover of darkness to hide from pedestrians and traffic. They could not be seen together. Their discovery was a death sentence for each of them.

From two different parts of society. One making a living by breaking the law. The other paid to enforce it. A quiet darkness surrounded by the softly falling rain on this Thursday night. Thursday, the night the drug dealers loaded up on inventory to meet the demand of the pending weekend.

Little Caesar, the leader of The Kirby Street Blues. Sixteen years-old, African-American, 6'1", 190lbs, strong and fit. A member of the gang since twelve, having already witnessed more shootings than a family of police officers would see in three generations. He had two marks on the bottom side of his blue bandana, each mark indicating a hit on a member of the Kirby’s rival gang, The Woodlawn Park Reds. He was trying to find a way out. A way out of the hood. A way out of the gang. Trying to find a future. He wanted to be the exception to the rule, leaving gang life before they found him in a pool of blood in front of parents, siblings, or fellow soldiers. Killed either in a revenge shooting by a rival gang or by a member of his own gang trying to move up from soldier to general. Death was the certain fate of a gang member, a funeral, a body left to be buried at to young of an age, leaving a message from the grave to have his death revenged by the death of another gang member to young to die. The man standing across from him was an enemy in every conceivable way but he was a means an end. His way out of the hood, out of the gang, and into a future.

Officer James O'Donnell. A sergeant on the Portland Police Force, working out of the North Precinct. His dad and grandfather had both been police officers. His career was chosen long before he was born. He was 49 years-old, in his twentieth year on the force. Beginning to show his age with light salt and pepper hair, he was 5'11", 215, with a small tire around the stomach. He was now making the maximum for a street cop, a lousy $36,336 a year. Hell the teenager across from him probably pulled in ten grand on a good summer weekend. O'Donnell had won many awards for bravery, doing the job well with integrity and honesty. A change had come over him the last three years. He was tired of watching crime go on daily in front of him with little consequences to the perp. His arrests were often back on the street in hours. He was no longer the gung ho officer that he used to be. He had become more violent, a product of spending to much time on the Gang Enforcement Team. After three years with GET he became desensitized to violence. After years watching blacks kill blacks, steal from each other, making more money in a day than he made in a month he had become filled with hate of blacks. He hated the man standing across from him but it was time for him to get a piece of the action. He was looking for a way out. A way to early retirement by supplementing his police pension. He was entitled to the money, a fringe benefit that cost the city nothing. In a few months he could buy that place on the lake in Coeur d’Elaine, Idaho, get the car of his dreams, travel to places a policeman's salary and pension would never take him. His father and grandfather were probably turning over in their graves. They certainly weren't above taking a few extra bucks to look away from a petty crime, prostitution or gambling, but they had never crossed the line to participate in a crime. The silent code of the old time cop. O'Donnell was operating under a different code. Times had changed since his lineage were operating on their beats. Criminals never shot at a cop, it was certain death or life in prison. Now the criminals would shoot at a uniform without hesitation if it kept their drug business operational. The money was greater now than it was then. The temptation overhwelming. The power that the police held was harder to ignore and even harder to avoid using. The public was so anxious to reduce crime in their neighborhoods that they looked away from a little excessive force some officers used to control the crime on their streets. Little Caesar, O'Donnell, and the general public were all operating with one frame of mind, a means to an end. Little Caesar wanted out. O'Donnell wanted a nice retirement. The public wanted neighborhoods safe from crime. Partners in a set up for disaster.

"Hey, Bro. I've got the stuff, have you got the cash?" O’Donnell said.

"Don't call me Bro, we aren't buds we are just here to do each other a service, man."

"Ok, asshole you got the cash? I'm not giving you the weekend supply until I see the cash."

"Hey man, I've got the cash, got to ke'p th'm niggers happy this weekend."

"Keep the parties indoors and out my precinct."

"Look man once the sale is made I'm out of it, no telling what the niggers will do on crack. Hey oink when are you getting the weapons we asked for?"

Officer O'Donnell turned red with anger and started to reach over to grab the teen by the neck but common sense took over.

"They are coming up from LA next week. We need ten grand for the first shipment."

“Same time, same place next week, I’ll bring the ten grand.”

Little Caesar disappeared into the night leaving O’Donnell standing alone.

21 comments:

Therapy Shirl said...

Bill,we have told you for years that you are an excellent writer! It is so wonderful to see you embarking on this book experience. Now keep going; the book looks good and I will happily read it and recommend it to my friends. After April 15 you have NO MORE excusts, ok?

Pat said...

Still reading, Bill. And still engaged, awaiting yet more. Great start.

But one thing -- I'm a little concerned about your posting much of this in such a public space, even though you say you've taken precautions against someone stealing your idea. I think I'd stop before the actual story becomes easy to identify. Or maybe take a leaf from Mary's book and put it somewhere that's password protected.

But that's just me. Too suspicious? Maybe. Certainly not of your regular readers and friends, but you just don't know who's out there looking for an idea.

Mary Z said...

You've got a couple of interesting protagonists, and starting out setting their relationship. I kind of agree with Pat - not too sure about posting it where it's so accessible.

William J. said...

SHIRLEY!!! MY WALLET STORY BUDDY!!

So nice to see you here. I am not so sure I have excusses before April 15th.

Thank you for your nice comments. Pat that just posted here is Pat from the old issues forum.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Say hi to our old friend Shirley.

I've been a little concerned about posting it publically too, that is why I am only posting very minimal parts of the story. So far the main character hasn't been introduced nor has the main
protagonist been introduced. Nor has the main love interest.

The story is one that can't be reproduced without the entire story being told. The ending they would write wouldn't make sense, plus they would miss important parts of the story. Because it is based on a true story the twists and turns are so intricate that no fiction writer could create them. Real is weirder than fiction is the old rule.

I will be really careful from now on.

I really like that you and Mary Z care so much about me that you are concerned. You are really good friends. I'm lucky to have you in my corner.

Bill

PS

If someone does steal it based on what I have written so far we can so them, you and Mary can testify, and we can split the proceeds!!!

William J. said...

Mary Z

Hi there. Thank your for your nice comments. I am being careful, see note to Pat.

Thanks for being concerned, I'm so glad that Bev introduced you to me, you are a friend to treasure!

Bill

Therapy Shirl said...

Yes, Bill, it's your olde wallet story buddy. I've never been on a blog before.

SymplyAmused said...

Hey, looks like you are off to a good start. I agree with everyone else. Don't post anymore. I would hate for someone to "steal" your idea just by the tone of the first part of the Chapter. You are an excellent writer and you draw the reader into the story!! Keep up the good work, Bill. : )

William J. said...

Shirley

I am so glad that you chose my blog as the first one to visit.

I still feel greatful to you for believing in me and taking me all the way back to Denver to find my wallet!

I also remember the nice time yourself, your husband, and I had at Saturday Market, then Higgins.

Bill

William J. said...

Symply

Thank your for believing in my writing and thank you for being concerned about someone stealing my writing. It is nice to have people that care on my side.

Thank you.

Bill

Sian said...

Bill - I didn't know you were writing fiction. Love the first chapter - it's got me hooked wanting to read more! But like the others said - don't give too much away in public without getting paid!

And Waving to SHIRLEY!!! HI! Miss hearing from you! Sian

Therapy Shirl said...

How many years has it been since the issues group?
I certainly have always believed in you and now that you are finally working on the book, remember that there are many of us who want you to keep up with your writing and to succeed!

William J. said...

SIAN!

Hello from my favorite person from across the pond!

It really isn't fiction more in a genre they call faction. Fiction based on a true event. Originally is was going to be done as a true story but there was the fear factor and the cooperation factor. The side that the story would benefit didn't want to talk about it and the side that the story would expose didn't want it published. So I changed it to fiction. Lately there have been a couple of books advertised as true stories that have been exposed as false. Mine is just the reverse, fiction but pretty well researched. The poilce were using a Glock-17 at that time, the maximum salary for a non-officer police person was just barely over thirty-six grand a year, the date mentioned in the intro was a Friday and in chapter one the day mentioned was a Thursday, NE 15th and Alberta was referred to as Crack Corner. What is false is some of the venues where a group of officers meet (an exotic bar), all of the names of the people involved, etc. I've tried hard to use believable gang names but not real ones because it might put them in danger. If I write it well nobody will be able to tell the main attorney in the story is my brother.

Also, thank you for your concern, you are a good friend and because everyone is saying the same thing I will be more careful in the future. Thank you.

Bill

William J. said...

Shirley

It has been a while. I even remember the thread on the Issues Forum where we first exchanged messages. I had read an article in The USA Today about sex causing blindness and started a thread called "Blind Sex" about the number of people in the office next door to mine wearing glasses.

No matter how long it has been it is still really exciting to me that really intelligent women believe in me and my writing.

Bill

Bev Sykes said...

Shirley! Send an e-mail! The old group is still together and we'd love to have you join us!

Therapy Shirl said...

Hi Sian, Bev and Pat! Amazing how many of the former Issues group are still in contact with one another.

Bill, you managed to keep us all interested in your writing and your future success. We want to say we knew you when! smile!

William J. said...

Shirley

If the book gets published you will all be invited to the first book signing!!

Seriously, I am not going into this with any false expectations. I know the chance of publication is very small. I am not really doing to be published. I am doing for two main reasons:

1. To say I completed a book and

2. Writing is healing. Been a tough 7 years and writing is therapy for me.

I figure my chances of publication are about the same chances of me getting a date with Ashley Judd or Sandra Bullock.

Bill

Pat said...

Hi, old friend Shirley! I think of you often, as I still have the okra necklace hanging with some even older Mardi Gras beads. Do join us in the new old group -- we'd love to see you there.

Bill, glad to see you'll not be posting enough for someone to see the entire story, though I'd love to keep reading it. In the worst case, yes, we'll all be your witnesses, and if there are Big Bucks, split the proceeds. Maybe 60/40.

Therapy Shirl said...

Hi Pat! I wondered if you still had that okra necklace. It might be very valuable by now! It was fun to make it and present it to you. I hope you are doing well. I am not very familiar with this blogging thing. I don't even know how to fill out a profile or anything. But I have limited hours to be online so I don't know how active I can be. It's good to know everyone is still around.

William J. said...

Pat

I was going to split it 50-50!

Shirley you are doing great with the blogging!


Bill

Sian said...

Bill, I hope you keep us up to date on progress even if you don't post any of the "faction" on your blog. I'd love to hear how it is going. And also glad that you are finding some quality time for things YOU want to do!

Shirley - lovely to see you here. Do keep in touch - we miss you! Sian