Sunday, March 23, 2008

The Wallet Story

This is a story that a lot of you already know but it is a good enough story that some of you like Mary Z, Kim, Symply, Lisa, Janet etc might enjoy. Now that Shirley has posted here the story has an important part that would have been missing before she posted.

A bunch of us that were posting on the CompuServe Women's Issues Forum decided to have annual offline get togethers and have them in locations where one of the group could host them. The first location we chose for the meeting was Boulder, Colorado. As part of the visits we liked to do things that were specific to the area that we were visiting. One of the days we decided to do into Denver and go to the famous Tattered Covered Bookstore. A bookstore that is huge and rivals Powell's here in Portland. Diane Mott Davidson often uses the TCB as part of her culinary mysteries. On the day trip to Denver we spent a few hours in the book store and had lunch and then drove back to Boulder. When we got to Boulder we decided to stop at the Red Robin for dinner. After a enjoyable dinner when the bill came, I reached into my pocket and my wallet was gone. I had a vision that my wallet was back in Denver at the Tattered Covered Bookstore. Shirley loaned me the ten bucks to pay for the meal at the Red Robin and then she drove me all the way back to Denver. She didn't think the wallet would be there but she knew me well enough to know that I wouldn't be satisified until I went to Denver and looked for my wallet so she agreed to take me. There was one condition that Shirley put on the trip, if the wallet was there then I had to go to church the next Sunday.

Ok it is about an hour drive from Denver to Boulder, the dinner lasted maybe ninety minutes (there were over 25 of us) and then an hour drive back to the book store. We are talking three and half to four hours from the time we left Denver until we returned. We got to the book store's parking lot. There was a ramp with a slight incline coming out of their parking lot. At the bottom of the ramp, guess what was there? My wallet. All the money inside. Then to make the story even weirder, all of my credit and membership cards were strewn up and down the ramp. I guess whenever a car ran over my wallet it would spit out the credit or membership card. All my cards were there. Not one missing. What were the odds that not only would the wallet be there but that everything in it would still be there too? The next Sunday I kept my part of the bargain and went to church.

May you find anything that you lost today.

10 comments:

Mary Z said...

Love the story, Bill. Thanks for letting the rest of us in on it. It does sound like a great group!

So far today, our Lady Mocs lost to K.State, but the UT Vols managed to hang on to beat Butler in OT. Now it's up to the Lady Vols who play tonight.

William J. said...

I was sure the Lady Mochs would win and am sorry they didn't but the Vols are up by double figures at half time so they got a good shot!!

Bill

Sian said...

LOL! I hadn't heard that story as I think I'd only just joined the online group when you first went to Boulder. So glad you kept your side of the bargain - tee hee!

Bev Sykes said...

Was it at the Red Robin where H caused a rucus with her less than PC chant?

Boy I lot of water has passed under a lot of bridges since that first group get together, hasn't it!

Therapy Shirl said...

I will never forget that wallet story and how nervous Bill was as we traveled from Boulder back to Denver. I was totally gobsmacked to see it lying there right by the exit point - - right where anyone could have seen it lying there. They probably thought it was trash that someone tossed out. Prayers are answered!! We sure prayed a lot on the way to find it!

Therapy Shirl said...

Hey Bev, I sent you an email! Did you receive it?

Lady DR said...

SkAh, the wallet story... I suspect it will live forever in the memories of those of us there. Hard to explain the Issues group. A bunch of people who were always there when you needed them, whether to retrieve a wallet or bolster you from a thousand and more miles away.
Gosh, you're collecting a bunch of us right here!

William J. said...

Hi Everyone

Sian - the wallet story became pretty famous for a while. Of course I kept the bargain!

Bev - no Heidi's less than steller language was at the steak house where the big dinner was held on the Saturday night before we left.

So much has happened to all of us since we first met. We have been together so long that it is amazing.

Shirley

I remember we were both gobsmacked to see it there. I still have the wallet and still use it. All the family wants me to get a new one and I just won't. It is by good luck charge.

DR

I certainly will never forget the wallet story, I bet I've told it a thousand times.

The issues group was just an amazing group of intelligent women that were nice enough to let me be part of the discussions and the get togethers.

The bunch is always welcome here!

SymplyAmused said...

That is indeed fortunate! Not only did you find a material thing you worked on the spirtual as well. Kudos!

William J. said...

Hi Symply

Always glad to see you here. Glat the get together in SA went well.

Yes I was concentrating on the wallet and Shirley was concentrating on making me spiritual and succeeded!

Bill