Saturday, March 1, 2008

A Nice Day

I had a really nice day yesterday. Worked until ten o'clock in the morning then decided to go to downtown Portland for the day. I haven't been to the city for a while now. I love downtown Portland just a fun place to be. A great place to people watch. I got to downtown a little before eleven then did some ultimate window shopping.

First, I went to Nordstroms to look at some dress shoes. Nice shoes but expensive so I am going to wait for a sale or try Macy's at Washington Square closer to where I live.

Second, I hit a Starbucks and read Willamette Weekly which is a weekly newspaper with a different slant than our local daily. One of the ads in the W.W. was for a concert that is going to be in late April here at the Keller Auditoriam. THE STARS OF ONCE! Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova are going to be here to perform a concert. There is a concert I won't miss. Here is a link to their concert schedule http://www.myspace.com/theswellseason .

Third, there is a new Brooks' Brothers store in downtown Portland. I wanted to check out their suits. I have a couple of really nice suits but I wanted to see the difference between the suits I am wearing and a Brooks' Brothers. I tried one on and whooaaaaa Nellie. I don't look bad in a suit but in a Brooks' Brothers suit I might even want to date me. As soon as I reach my fitness goal I am buying one.

Fourth, I met up with a friend and we walked down to Powell's. She gave me some tips one some authors that I am going to try out. We had coffee in the little coffee shop inside Powell's. Then walked back to our origins. On they way back it rained. She seemed a little to worried about me getting wet. I love the rain and it doesn't bother me to get wet. It just feels cleansing to me. She had an umbrella but us true Oregonians never use umbrellas, it is how we tell who the tourists are. It was so nice to have the company of a very nice lovely lady. Now I have to hit a closer book store to buy some books by those authors.

On the way home from downtown Portland my Mom called and the caregiver was sick so didn't show up. That meant Bill as the fill-in again. Came home got my night bag and spent the night at Mom's.

A great day!

6 comments:

Mary Z said...

How great that you're going to get to see your favorite singers - and while they're on their way up.

Would you believe I was going to ask you if you ever went to Powell's? I just saw part of an author's talk on BookTV about his book on Starbuck's. The talk was given at Powell's. I would love to get there sometime.

I'm glad you had such a good day.

William J. said...

Hi Mary Z

Powell's is signature Portland, you can't live here or visit here without going there. It is considered the largest independent used and new book store in the U.S. They also specialize in out of print books and you can order them from powells.com.

I'm excited about seeing the stars from Once.

Bev Sykes said...

I don't ever use an umbrella either.

I remember when we all went to Powell's. I feel cheated because I had hurt my foot and wasn't able to walk and remember that you guys deposited me at Powell's while you went walking around at the ARtists Street faire down by the water. Then you all went roaming around Powell's while I sat and read and people watched. I think I'm owed another trip to Powell's.

...and another dinner at Higgins!

William J. said...

Hi, Bev

Another rain lover!

The next time you come to Portland I will give you a personal tour of Powell's and buy you dinner/lunch at Higgins.

When Shirley and her husband were here I took them for dinner at Higgins and was so disappointed when the creme brulee was not on the menu that night. Remember Shirley? She was at Boulder. Her and her husband are now both semi-retired.

Bill

Bev Sykes said...

How nice that you're still in touch with Shirley.

When we go to Higgins next, we'll have to call ahead and request creme brulee. Surely they'll do that for such good customers, right?

William J. said...

Hi Bev

I am also in touch with DanaRae and her husband. I also always wonder what happened to some of the old Issues Forum group like Julie Pierce and D.C. Heidi.

If you come here I will call ahead to Higgins for the creame brulee and maybe even the Aussie Waiter!

Bill