Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Life Gets Exciting

My cousin Dixie is coming to visit on Saturday and will stay until July 3rd. Laura will be here on the 2nd and leave on the 6th. So from this coming Saturday until July 6th there will be company at Mom's house. I'm looking forward to the visits because it will get me out and about more.

Dixie is my favorite cousin. Her brothers Denny and Dave and herself always lived in the same city we did while growing up. They were more like a 2nd set of siblings then they were cousins. Their mom and dad, Aunt Velma and Uncle Frank we my second set of parents. Our families always did things together. Every holiday we spent together. We had some really great Thanksgivings and Christmases. Frank and Velma are now in Arizona. Dixie just moved back the mainland from Hawaii and is looking for a place to settle down. That is one of the reasons for the visit, she wants to explore Portland. If she likes it here she may consider moving in with Mom and helping take care of her.

About Dixie? Fun and unusual. She spent years high up in administration at Kaiser before deciding the stress wasn't worth and quit the job. She became a school bus driver because she loved the kids. On her 50th birthday she sky dived. On her 55th birthday she bungy jumped.
This is my older fun cousin. I'm looking forward to the visit.

The next couple of days are going to be filled with getting two houses ready for company (Mom's and mine) shampooing carpets, changing sheets, grocery shopping and those things we do when people come to spend time with us.

I'd like to know if any of you are looking forward to visitors and what you do to get ready for them.

May this be a day filled with love and friendship for all of you.

8 comments:

Mary Z said...

Bill, I wouldn't dream of doing something like "shampooing carpets" to get ready for visitors. Other than general cleanliness and straightening and dusting; clean linens on the bed and towels in the bathroom, my theory is I am what I am. I figure they came to visit us, and not to check my house with white gloves.

And, if that's indeed what they're that concerned with antisepsis, they didn't really care about us, and we don't care if they don't return.

Gee, Mary - don't hold back - tell us what you REALLY think. LOL. Plus you can obviously tell, I'm not much into housekeeping. 8^)

William J. said...

Mary Z

Hi, one of the things that I love about you is your honesty.

It really wasn't my idea to shampoo the carpets it was mom's and once she gets somehting in her head that something needs to be done it is just easier to do it than argue about. Besides, I am a bachelor and the carpets do need it. lol.

Neither Dixie or Laura really care what the homes look like it is more Mom and I caring.

Bill

Pat said...

I'll go with Mary Z here. Always clean sheets and towels, a little general straightening and maybe a little dusting. Maybe. I might even vacuum. Beyond that? Nothing. Oh, except once in a while picking up a few favorite snack foods if I know what they like.

Hope you have a great time with both your visitors, and I also will hope that Dixie loves Portland. Take her to Higgins.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

If mom wasn't involved and it wasn't her house that they were staying in I would do much more than either you are Mary either.

Higgins would be a great place to take my cousin but to expensive for Laura. She might get the wrong idea that I'm rich lol.

Bill

Kaye R said...

Well, Bill.. sounds like you'll have your spring cleaning all done soon! I find that having guests visit kinda forces our hand into doing some straightening up. I have hard wood floors, so no need to shampoo. I prefer carpet, but the condo came w/hardwood flooring. As far as the other cleaning, I cheat.. I have a maid! I hate cleaning!! Phyllis comes everyother Wednesday.. just enough for me. Did I mention that I hate cleaning? lol

Enjoy your visitors... I'm ready to read your write up on your adventures!

Hug Mom for me,
Kaye

William J. said...

Kaye

I have two things that make me get things clean and in order around the house: 1. Visitors. 2. The housekeeper coming.

I too have a housekeeper that comes every two weeks. I clean the day before she comes so she doesn't think I am a slob.

Bill

SymplyAmused said...

Wow, does this mean I have to shampoo my carpets when you come to visit? : ) I hope you have a grand time!!!

William J. said...

Hi Symply

If I come visit all you have to do is point me towards a hotel and a restaurant that serves a Texas size cheeseburger and I'm good to go.

Bill