Saturday, April 5, 2008

Crimes Against The Elderly

Get ready to get your hackles up. There was a story in this morning's Oregonian that just breaks your heart. Here goes,

"A 35 year-old man accussed of breaking into an elderly woman's home three times, and sexually abusing her during one encounter was arrested Friday morning, police said.

Robert Earl Orr faces three counts of first degree burglary and one count of first-degree sexual abuse."

If that isn't heart breaking enough read the following:

"The 91-year-old victim did not report the crimes, which occurred over a 2 1/2 week period, until the third break-in to Northeast Portland Home." "The victim told police she didn't want to worry her daughter and feared her family would want to move her out of her house."

SHOCKED? Well the article continues;

"The woman's fear of reporting the crime is not unusual, said Portland Sgt. Margaret Bahnson, who oversees two Portland officers assigned to crimes against the elderly. According to the Sgt., ONE IN SIX CRIMES AGAINST THE ELDERLY GO UNREPORTED. The reasons given for not reporting is that the elderly are embarassed by the crime, shameful that they happened, they don't want to leave their home or they don't want to think they can't take care of themselves.

If Orr is guilty may he rot in Hell. Hell may even be to good for him.

Check out oregonlive.come for the full article in the metro section.

Comments anyone?

8 comments:

Pat said...

Comments? You want comments? I predict they'll all be the same. You're right, hell is far too good for this guy. But just in case, the rest of his life on earth should be made a living hell.

William J. said...

Pat

I have no doubt that we will all think the same about the jerk that attacked her but there are so many aspects of the story that breaks your heart. I'm curious what everyone thinks that one of six crimes against the elderly go unreported because they don't want to lose their independence.

Bill

SymplyAmused said...

There are just too many sick people out there. It's a shame for those hurt and for those not strung up by their neck when they commit such horrendous crimes. I'm depressed now. : (

Bev Sykes said...

this makes me even more concerned about my mother.

William J. said...

Symply

It makes me kind of sad too that the crimes happen but what makes me almost as sad as the number of crimes against the elderly that go unreported.

Bill

William J. said...

Bev

It makes me concerned about what my Mom isn't telling me. Probably time for all of to sit down and have some serious talks with out Moms.

Bill

Pat said...

It's awful that such crimes don't get reported. I had no idea that was the case, but in a way, I can understand it if the elderly person is already fighting to stay in his/her home against family opposition. They wouldn't want to appear any less able to take care of themselves than they absolutely had to. It's a very sad situation all around.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Until I read the article I had no idea of how many of the crimes went unreported, I knew there were some and I also wasn't appear at what lengths the elderly would go to stay in their homes.

Bill