Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Tax Season is over, Dancing Recap, and Top Chef Preview

April 15th is gone and life will go back to somewhat normal for me now. This was an interesting tax season as it was my first one in several years that I wasn't self-employed. One thing that I learned about myself this year was is that I like a set schedule. The agreement that I had with the firm that bought my business was that I would be available to them whenever they called. If a previous client requested that I be there for their interview I would be called in and often on short notice. I've been with a lot of my clients a long time so a good share of them requested me. It made it almost impossible to plan things. Next year I am going to shoot for set schedule, be here Monday and Friday for example. Then they can set my appointments on those days and I can plan life around them. A couple of weeks ago I wanted to go to an event in Bend and wasn't able to because the day before the event I got called and told of several appoints the day of and after the event. A set schedule will avoid those kind of conflicts.

Took Mom out to lunch yesterday and on the way out to lunch stopped by the firm that bought my business so she could meet, Paul, Mark, and their wifes. Mom thought they were the nicest men and just absolutely loved them. The last time I sold my business (I've built two firms from scratch and sold them) Mom disliked immensely one the the guys that bought it. Thought he was jealous of me. This time Mom was enamored with both Paul and Mark. She thought Paul was very good looking (though she said not as good looking as me. He is much better looking than moi but she is my Mom so what can I say?), with Mark she thought he had the most loving face. She feels more comfortable now with my choice to sell. Mom used to work in my office and connected with a lot of my clients and was afraid that they wouldn't be treated well by the new firm. That worry has now subsided. By the way the two guys did something for me that was just the nicest thing for them to do, they gave me a gift certificate to a book store. I've worked at several firms on a part-time basis and they are the first ones to show appreciation with a gift. These guys are great. You can check out these guys at http://sherwoodcpas.com/aboutus.html

As I expected Pricella Presley was eliminated from Dancing With The Stars last night. She was scored the lowest by the judges on dance night and last week she was in the bottom two. Combining those two things it was almost a guarantee that she would be gone. The Suprise was that Lisa's hunk, Cristian, was also in the bottom two. He shouldn't have been. The way I ranked the dancers, of course, didn't match up with the scores of the judges. I will say that whomever is dressing Marissa should be shot. They are dressing her in a fashion that shows off her weaknesses when she dances. It is really unfair to her. My rankings: 1. Mario. 2. Kristi.
3. Jason . 4. Cristian. 5. Shannon. 6. Marlee. 7. Marissa. 8. Pricella. Eliminated to date: Monica Seles, Penn Jillette, Steve Guttenberg, Adam Corella, and Pricella. By the way, I loved the performance by Blunt.

Tonight on Top Chef is a Tailgating episode. The remaining chefs are asked to create a dish that compliments a drink as the guest judge is Windy City chef Paul Kahan. You can read an interview with Mr. Kahan at http://www.globalchefs.com/chef/archive/chef018kahBio.htm

May this be a great day for all of you.

Bill

6 comments:

Pat said...

Congratulations on surviving another tax season, Bill. Sorry I was one of those who wanted you to do mine. I'll give the other guys a chance next year, as long as I can still ask you the occasional question, how's that?

I agree with you on Marissa's costumes, and was not surprised to see Presley eliminated. I think the dancing is generally quite good this year, so it's hard to pick a favorite overall. I'm still in Marlee's corner, just because I like her a lot otherwise, but would not be too surprised or disappointed to see anyone else have to go. Maybe Shannon -- she's quite remarkable. I suspect Kristi will win, but with the great unwashed having 12 votes each, it's a crapshoot.

Mary Z said...

I'd forgotten this was your busy season. I know you're glad it's over.

William J. said...

Pat

Don't be sorry I loved doing your tax return. I also loved seeing all my ex clients, they were so generous with their comments. All said I looked great and the weight loss is noticable (I've been dieting since November and have lost close to 30 lbs.) What I didn't like was the way the appointments were scheduled. That can be corrected for next year. I will say all of my clients were like Mom, they loved the new guys. So I chose well with this sale.

And you can ask more than the occasional question. You ask any question any time!

The dancing this year is the best of any season at this stage of the competition and the eliminations, Guttenberg excepted, have pretty much been what they should have been.

My favorites are Jason and Shannon. Shannon because she tries so hard and Jason because he is so agile despite his size.

The number of votes decrease every week to match the number of dancers. Next week everyone gets 7 votes. My guess is the following will be the order of elimination:

Marissa
Marlee
Cristian
Shannon

Final Three - Mario, Kristi, Jason.

Bill

William J. said...

Mary Z

Not as busy as previous years when I had to manage 300 clients and take care of a parent. This year was a skate.

Bill

Pat said...

Glad you didn't mind doing my return. At least it was one that you could schedule for yourself.

I like Jason and Shannon, too, and for the reasons you mention. With the additional reason that Shannon is very darned good. Your predictions are very darned good, too, and I wouldn't argue with them, but it's anybody's game and there could be some surprises.

William J. said...

Hi, Pat

Of course I liked doing my favorite client's/friends's tax return!

The thing that worries about me about Shannon his her fan base. Because of the fan base it wouldn't be that surprising to see her go next. I hope not but it could happen.

Bill