Thursday, April 24, 2008

Top Chef Summary and A Question For The Bloggers

If there was a contest between a couple of people to see who could do the most pushups and one person set a goal of fifty pushups but only could make it to forty-five and the other person set a goal of thirty pushups and did the thirty pushups who is the winner? If you are the Top Chef judges the person that did the thirty pushups would win. What am I talking about? This is the second time this season that the women were more creative than the men and were punished for it. I don’t exactly remember the contestants involved when they had the film themed segment but the men chose a movie with the word chocolate in the title and the women chose IL POSTINO. What movie would be harder to make a dish themed towards it? The men won with a chocolate dish and the women lost despite doing very well with a much harder dish to make. Last night the cooks had to make word themed dishes with words that were obtained through a Second City performance. Nikki and Mark drew the easiest with purple, depressed, and bacon. Richard and Dale would have had the easiest if the word tofu hadn’t been added to green and perplexed. Stephanie and Jennifer drew menage a trois the most difficult to cook towards. Richard and Dale probably should have won but there is no way that Stephanie and Jennifer’s menage a trois of orange with goat cheese, asparagus, salad, and olive tapenade should have been in the bottom two and Jennifer should not have been packing. Stephanie and Jennifer probably would have been better off making three home made hot dogs, three homemade donuts, coloring the donuts orange and putting the hot dogs through the center of the doughnuts. Nikki and Mark should have been in the bottom two and Mark should have been sent home. I could make the dish they made. It really looks like the women are going to have to dumb themselves down to win this season’s Top Chef. That type of sexism hurts both men and women. Why can’t the judges see that? Oh and if Tom C. puts his fist to his mouth one more time I am going to write to Top Chef and see if they will burp him before every show.

Now the question for the ones reading the blog to answer. The question is how is how other people see you different than you see yourself? You can use any example you like. Here are some of mine:

Other people have said that I live to the beat of a different drummer, I see myself as normal.

Other people have said I was bull headed, I see me as persistent.

Other people have said I am compassionate, I see me as too sensitive.

Other people have said I am one of the funnier people they know, I see myself as to serious to be funny.

OK, your turn.

8 comments:

Mary Z said...

I didn't expect to have the first comment. I don't watch the Chef thing, so can't comment on that.

As to your question, I really don't know what to say about that. I guess people would say I'm a good friend, and I certainly try to be as good a friend to others as they are to me.

William J. said...

Hi Mary

I probably won't watch Top Chef after this season either.

As to the second question it comes from a psychology class that I took in college. Students were to pick another student in class and write what they thought of him/her. Then the person they were writing about had to write down certain things that they saw about themselves. When both were done they compared lists, seldom did people see themselves as others saw them.

Bill

Mary said...

I think you're one of the funniest people I know. So there.

People always tell me how calm they think I am. I usually feel like a volcano about to explode. I guess I hide it well.

William J. said...

Hello Washington Mary

I always thought you were pretty calm and even tempered.

And thank you for the compliment.

Bill

Pat said...

That's a very tough question, Bill. I've been thinking about it, and frankly, I have absolutely no idea what other people think of me. I've been told I'm calm, which for the most part is true, at least on the surface (Hi, Mary). I've been told I'm a good driver, which is also true (mostly). I've been told I'm a good friend, which I try to be (mostly). I fail on all counts now and then, as I suppose everybody does. My daughter tells me I've been a good mom, and that's the nicest of all. I'm sure people say things I never hear, and I'm sure they're not all complimentary by any means, but I try not to think about that and just be me.

PS: I think you are very funny. In a good way.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

It is a tough question. I would guess that most people would like you a lot and always thought you were pretty calm.

I've heard rumors that you can make a u-turn with the best of them.

Just by the way your daughter has turned out and also because she obviously loves you I would say you were a great mom!

Bill

Bev Sykes said...

People always argue with me when I tell them how shy I am. Why don't they believe what I know I am instead of insist that I am the person they want me to be?

William J. said...

BEV!

Great answer to the question and we do have that in common. People don't believe me when I tell them how really shy I am either. I am not so sure it is them wanting us to be the people they want us to be or is it just them seeing us through their eyes?

Bill