Tuesday, April 1, 2008

They Were So Nice

I talked to the people at Chehalem Springs today and they were just so nice. Chehalem Springs is an assisted living center in Newberg, Oregon where mom has agreed to go for the month of May. When I talked to them today the were expert and professional and extremely accomodating. Among the things they told me were:

1. Mom can choose whether she wants a studio apartment or a one bedroom apartment for the same price for respite care. They want her to pick the kind of apartment that she thinks she might like if she moved there for good. Then if she decided to stay she wouldn't have to move again.

2. They will place her in an apartment near the elevator so that she doesn't have far to walk to either the dinning room or the activity room.

3. They said they had bunch of movie ins of really nice ladies that were a bundle of fun and that that bunch would make sure mom would get out and do things while she was there. That they would even push her in a wheelchair if they were going to do things that required long walking. They play cards, games, have ice cream socials, book clubs, etc. They will make sure that Mom will do something every day.

I'm really excited that they have been so professional about this. They all sound so nice and caring that it can't help but make me think this is the right place for mom not only for respite care but for good if that is what she decides she wants to do.

I do think that if Mom gives it half a chance she will love it. I am kind of afraid that no matter what she won't like it, that she has already made her mind not to like it. I'm basing that on the comments that she has made recently, like "no matter where I go it will be a wharehouse" or to my sister "if it is such a nice place you move there." I am praying and need your prayers too that mom opens up her mind a tad to a good time. I believe in miracles.

May each one of your days be filled with a miracle.

15 comments:

Mary Z said...

It sounds very nice, Bill - and they do sound very helpful there. My friend's mother has gotten excited about moving from the nursing home into her "apartment" (assisted living). I'm sure there'll be some difficult moments, but overall, it's finally looking up for her. I do hope this works out and your mother likes it.

And you might consider to, that she might continue to tell you and your sister that she hates it, when she really does like it (when you're not looking).

Pat said...

The place sounds wonderful, Bill. If they are really going to go all out like that, my guess is that your mom will like it in spite of herself.

Hoping, hoping, hoping that I'm right, and sending all kinds of good thoughts and vibes that it be so!

Bev Sykes said...

I am watching your mother's situation with interest, since we may soon be doing something similar for my mother (tho she's not ready for assisted living yet). It sounds like you've found a wonderful place and I hope she'll at least be open-minded about it.

William J. said...

Mary Z

I'm glad your friend's mom is getting so excited about the move into a new apartment. That will make it easier for everyone. I wish them the best. It just never is easy to make that decision about parents.

Interesting about your comment about liking the new place and not telling us because I told my sister the same exact thing yesterday. I get the impression that Mom thinks sister and I are deserting her and so she wants to punish us. We really aren't deserting her we just want her taken care of and happy.

Bill

William J. said...

Pat

Thank you for all the good thoughts and vibes they are both appreciated and needed.

It looks like I am going to be in the LA area from May 8 to May 17, I haven't made reservations yet but those are the dates that I am thinking about. Be fun to buy you dinner or lunch.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Bev

It will probably be the hardest thing that you have to do but there are a lot of support out there. One of the best is eldercare.com

I'm hoping that mom keeps an open mind also but then I am still hoping that I will discover that I am related to Bill Gates too.

Bill

Mary said...

Fingers crossed, Bill. It sounds like a great place, I hope she likes it.

William J. said...

Mary

Hello less then two weeks for you to go!

I am hoping that mom loves it too.

It is really close to my house so it would be easy for me to check on her now and then.

Bill

Impalace said...

Prayers are coming your way. It sounds like a lovely place. I think I wouldnt' mind living there!HA!
Anyway, best of luck.

William J. said...

Hi Kimberly

Welcome to the blog and thank your for your prayers, they are appreciated!

The place is really nice, has a fifties style ice parlor inside. Excercise room. Crafts room, etc.

Bill

SymplyAmused said...

It does sound very nice. I'll pray that once your Mother arrives there the "little old ladies" will keep her so entertained she'll wonder why it took her so long to go in the first place. Of course, she'll want you to think you are abandoning her so you'll feel properly guilty and then she'll say, "Well, I guess I'll stay". Here's hoping for you!! (and her)

William J. said...

Hello There Symply

Thank you so much for your support and prayers they are both appreciated.

Mom and I actually had a very nice talk about it today. I think she is opening up her mind about it. She did say she thought it was like going to a nursing home but when I pointed out the difference she when on to talk about maybe she would like it there afterall.

Bill

Pat said...

Just checking back here, and saw that you'll be in the area in May. Lunch or dinner would be great!

William J. said...

Hi, Pat

After last night I am having doubts about whether or not I should take the trip. Mom was really, really ill last night. She wouldn't let me call 911 but there were some warning signs. The caregiver and I got her settled down with nitro and an aspirin and she was good when I left and this morning. However, it was definitely a heart issue and it was a real sickness not a fake one to make me feel guilty. Makes me wonder how much longer I am going to have her.

Because I can get a really cheap fare if I buy my ticket by Monday I am going to purchase the airplane ticket because then all I will be out is less than 200 bucks if I don't go.

Gosh sometimes this is so difficult.

Bill

William J. said...

Oh

I forgot. Mom said she is still going to Chehelam Springs for the month of May even if I decide to stay here. She really, really wants to try it. Plus there is a hospital within one mile of the retirement center with a brand new heart wing opening April 8th.

Bill