Friday, April 18, 2008

Unexpected Communications

This is one of those posts where you are going to have to hang in there until the end to give me a chance to connect all the dots.

Those of you that have been with the blog since it started know that I started a fitness routine in November. I haven't reached my goals as fast as I wanted but I am getting there. To say it has been easy would be a lie because it hasn't been, in fact it has been very difficult. There have been many times when I wanted to stop what I was doing and eat a whole cake. It just seems like whenever I get in one of those moods something comes out of mid-air to motivate me to stay the course.

Since my brother moved to Wyoming over fifteen years ago he has called me twice. Once when his wife left him. Of course sometimes tact isn't in my makeup and when he told me his wife left him my response, "Good, I didn't like the bitch anyhow." Probably not the best thing to say considering that a month later my brother and his wife got back together and since have been one of the happiest married couples that I know. I'm still living down my comment. But I digress, the second time he called me was yesterday. My brother's daughter is my Mom's pharmacist. I always pick up my Mom's drugs from my niece at her pharmacy. Yesterday I picked up some drugs for Mom and talked for a bit with my niece then went home. Five minutes after I got home the phone rang and it was my brother. As soon as I left the pharmacy my niece had called my brother to tell him how healthy I looked, that the change was dramatic, that I was walking fast, and that she was proud of me and he should be too. God, I love my niece, she didn't say anything to me because there were to many people in line at the pharmacy but she sure found a way to make sure I stay the course! My brother called to tell me how happy he was that I was getting in shape and that life changing decisions are never easy. He was probably the most encouraging that I've ever seen him. We talked for almost two hours!!

I also got another unexpected communication yesterday in the form of an email. I am not into celebrity adulation but I will admit that there is one celebrity blog that I go to. Yesterday one of the famous hostesses posted a message about Top Chef and I posted a comment. A little bit later I got what I thought was a notification of a comment on the blog from the hostess. When I went to the blog to respond there was no comment to respond to, I checked my email again and the hostess had sent me an email! Wow what an upper. She thanked me for the "sweet comment" that I had posted earlier in the day on another thread (maybe it was sweet but it was also accurate), agreed with something I said about Top Chef and asked me a question about a contest that I entered.

An unexpected phone call from my brother and an unexpected email from a funny, talented woman that I've admired for a long time. Could the day have been any better?

May you hear from long lost friends and people you admire today!

4 comments:

Pat said...

Let's have a big hand for your niece and your brother! That kind of encouragement is SO good for keeping you on target. And let's hear it for you for doing so well up to now!

Love the story about your response to bro's split-up. Oops! Very funny.

And how cool to get an email from whoever-she-was. That had to be a real upper.

SymplyAmused said...

How totally cool! Good for you, Bill. Stay on course. Now that I'm unemployed (temporarily) I plan on walking in the mornings after kidlet goes to school. Gotta do something for me!!

William J. said...

Hi Pat

The weight has can of stabilized but I keep loses inches off of the waist. Six inches fewer around the waist since when the group last met in Ashland.

As to the comment to my brother he said it was what he needed to hear at the time but it probably would have been better if he hadn't told his wife what I said.

Bill

William J. said...

Hy Symply

Sorry to hear that you are unemployed and hope it won't be for long.

I finally decided in November to put my fitness goals above everyone and everything else. You definitely should do something for yourself. You deserve to!

Bill