Monday, October 27, 2008

An Exciting Week Ahead.

This is an exciting week for me but most likely will be boring for you readers. There are two comedy classes this week and you poor souls will get to read about each one. More about the classes later.

The week got off to a great start yesterday with my weekly brunch with my good friend, Ted. I didn't have brunch with him last Sunday because instead I went to a Body, Mind, & Spirit Expo. I had both a Tarot reading and a psychic reading. Yesterday was two week catch up of men talk between Ted and I. After brunch I went over to Mom's and we voted. Oregon does vote by mail so you can vote pretty much anytime. While there are some things I like about vote by mail, I really do miss the days of going to the polls. There was just something special getting up on election day, dressing your best, going to the precinct, and participating in the democratic process. After voting I took our ballots to a drop off site.

Tonight is graduation night of Comedy Sportz 101. WOW! Did that eight weeks go fast. Here is the email about the class tonight:

CSz 101, Class #8
Doors
10/27/08 Class starts at 730 pm

2 Doors, 24 players, 120 minutes, invited guests, Patrick.

Fun times await at CSz. You've been exposed to the skills, now use them in scenes. What's behind the door? Open it to find out.

Improvisationally yours,

Herb Spice


For some reason this email scares me because it sounds like we will be part of a improv skit taking part on two different stages and that the pros will be there. It is so ironic that even though it scares me, I am so looking forward to it.

When I signed up for this class I took it to gain confidence, get over shyness, meet people, and stretch my psyche. I am a lot more confident and still shy but not as excruciatingly so. I have a long ways to go. I'm just not there yet. I know I am getting better because of two things that happened this weekend. Yesterday at brunch with Ted we struck up a conversation with a nice man sitting next to us that was having brunch with his mom. He was a banker. When I got up to leave his Mom grabbed me by the arm and said "Hi my name is, and I want to meet you because you are the only CPA I've met that has a personality." Saturday when I was having lunch with Mom and she blurted out to the couple next to us that I was taking comedy classes, the wife asked why. When I told her I had trouble in social situations her response was a very sarcastic "Yeah, I can tell." Because I'm improving but not there yet I want to go on with some type of class. While the improv class has been really fun I wanted to do something that scares me even more because it seems like going out of my comfort zone makes me a better person. I've been looking for standup comedy classes in Portland. Haven't been able to find one yet. I've found a four week standup class in Seattle, a five week one in San Francisco, a six week one in Burbank, and a ten week one in Santa Monica. Since due to my circumstances right now I can't be away from Portland more than a week or ten days, those out of city classes are out of the question right now. Maybe if circumstances change it would be fun to be in another city for four to ten weeks! Just not now. Since there doesn't seem to be standup classes in the Portland area I decided to move on to the next level of improv classes.

The next level of classes put on by Comedy Sportz is called "The Farm Team". The Farm Team classes are available any Wednesday night during the year, all you have to do to participate in the class is give them five bucks at the door and you are in. The next three Wednesday night classes are reserved only for class members from the just completed Comedy Sportz 101. What happens is that during the Farm Team class is whenever the instructor thinks you are ready they put you in their Sunday afternoon amateur show. If you do well in the Sunday show there is a chance to be in the pro show. I'm not taking the class to be in any show. I'm just taking it to improve. The Farm Team will fill in for me until my life frees up enough for me to take a class in one of those other cities.

Hope this is a great week for you. Thanks for listening to my boring rants about the classes but you wonderful ladies were the ones that encouraged me to take the classes, I owe you a debt of gratitude for that!

11 comments:

Pat said...

I think I can speak for everyone here when I say we love hearing about the classes. I think you were so brave to take the class at all and I'm glad it has made a difference for you and that you plan to continue with the Farm Team. I know you'll get plenty out of it, whether you start a stand-up career or not.

I read your class announcement differently from you. I read it as one stage, but having the choice of two doors... like improvise on whatever's behind the door you choose. I agree that "invited guests" might be a little scary, depending on who's doing the inviting.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

If I take the Burbank class, which from the internet material is the one I like the best, would you take it with me? That would be a real motivation to get out of her for six weeks.

Thank you for the nice words. I am kind of curious how the Farm Team is going to be different than the improv class.

The reason I thought two stages, is the one where or class is held the stage is what you see when you come into the room. There is a room behind our room with another stage that can't be seen from our room. So if we are going to be surprised it would have to be the second stage.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Pat pretty well said it all. Love hearing about the lead-up to the classes and then what happens. I also pictured two doors, one stage, but what you said in your response makes sense, as well. Congrats on deciding to go with the Farm Team, whether you decide to go "pro" or not. I'm betting you'll find it as much fun and more.

The examples you give of meeting the folks over this weekend says a lot about how much you've grown in the past two months! Good for you.

Now, why did we not hear about the tarot and psychic readings, hmmm?

William J. said...

Hi Dr

Thanks for the kind words about the classes, I always fear that what I say about the classes are boring. I'm really viewing the Farm Team as a fill in until I can find a standup class. I'm going to some of the comedy clubs in the Portland area the next three or four weeks to see what they have to offer. Maybe even open mic night at some of the places.

I have come a long way in two months but have even a longer way to go.

Bill

Kaye R said...

I echo Pat and DR.... love hearing about the classes! I can't wait to hear about tonites! And dont' worry about how far you have to go, just look at how far you've come and keep going!

(Now.. I think I feel a cold coming on ... say, around Thursday?)

William J. said...

Hi Kaye

Thanks for the nice words about the class.

As to Thursday we will be proud of you if you go but understand if you don't!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

I forgot to answer you questions about the Tarot and psychic reading.

Like you I used to do Tarot readings myself. Where I am at with the occult now is I don't really believe it nor do I disbelieve it. I'm more at show and tell stage.

The highlights. Mom will leave this world in February. I will have a comedy gigs around Portland. There is a woman that has light brown hair, stands 5'3", lives in another city that apparently is interested in me that I will eventually meet and will be the one but not until after I am relived of my responsibility with Mom.

Bill

Pat said...

I'll give you a tentative non-answer about the Burbank class. It would be wa-aaay out of my comfort zone, though I'm not terribly shy with strangers and don't feel I need to work on that. It might be fun if it was like your current class, but Burbank being "Media City", we have pro actors all over the place, and I'd be afraid I'd be outclassed and maybe a drag on things. I also don't consider myself particularly fast on my feet in terms of comebacks and original responses. I'm more in the "I should'a said" contingent, I'm afraid. Still, if you decide to do it, I might at least sit in and see if I thought I could handle it. And I'd come and cheer you on whenever audience was invited.

Lady DR said...

I haven't done a tarot reading for so long, I can't remember last time. It would behoove me to get the cards out and take a look. Believe/disbelieve? I don't believe they give you a future carved in stone, as the qualifier has always been, "If everything remains the same as today." I do believe they can give you something to think about and raise some enlightenments, especially using the Celtic Cross layout.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

The reason I liked the Burbank one is that the testimonials were mostly from non entertainment types. The Santa Monica one was filled with nothing but actresses and actors.

The Burbank class sounds like it is similiar to the class here but more into writing and performing on your own.

I also doubt if anyone could outclass you!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Dr

I remember at the Boulder get together that you did Tarot readings for the group.

The Tarot reader did use the Celtic Cross. The psychic also said that dad was there during the reading. That he was anxiously awaiting mom coming up to join him and that mom was ready to go.

It was food for thought.

Bill