Saturday, October 11, 2008

Where I Live

Not much to write about write now so I thought I would take you on a photo journal tour of Sherwood, Oregon including places that I go. If you want a larger view of the pictures just click on the picture that you want a larger view of. For those of you that were here when I hosted the brunch for the Womens' Issues group the three vacant fields that you saw near my house are no more.




Sherwood is about 5 miles of off Interstate 5 and sits approxmiately fifteen miles southwest of Portland, Oregon. The main highway through Sherwood is 99-W. 99-W is the main highway to the Mid-Oregon coast. Seven of the last eight years Sherwood has been the fastest growing little city in Oregon. Seventy miles one direction is the beautiful Mount Hood, Seventy miles the other direction is the mid-Oregon Coast, Seventy miles another direction is the Northern Oregon Coast. And fifteen miles right on down 99-W is dowtown Portland. 99-W becomes Barbur Blvd. which becomes Fourth Street in downtown Portland.



I live in a three bedroom, two and a half bath townhouse, with a very nice but small backyard. Big enough for barbecues and small parties. I live right on the corner of Daffodil and Borchers. My neighbor's (the pickup is his) townhouse and mine are the first houses that you see when you come into Wildflower Village. The Village is made up of townhouses. Most are three bedroom and two and half bath townhouses like mine. My neighbor and I are the only unattached males living in the Village. There are a lot of young married couples with small children, some single moms, and a few retirees.

I thought about turning my backyard into a garden except that I don't like to get dirty and I don't like gardening. Plus it really isn't necessary. With Sherwood you can magically go from a busy little city to farm country in seconds. Just barely one mile from my house you can pick your own fruit and veggies.




Restaurants? Within walking distance of my house are:

fast food restaurants



mid-level restaurants. Rose's Deli. Known for their Reubens and their deserts. Click on the picture and enlarge it and take a look at Granny's Apple Tart or Death By Chocolate.





There also is a high end restaurant. Hunter's Ridge Grill, noted for only using local products, their salmon and their pork chops.



Before or after dinner at The Grill if you need a massage or just to relax at a spa. There is Desirant Day Spa & Salon next door to The Grill.




Need Groceries? Starbucks? There are three Starbucks within walking distance from my house. One in Albertsons', one in Safeway, and a stand alone one. The vacant field that used to be across from my house was turned into to three strip malls. One of the Starbucks is in the right hand corner of the first picture.

They call me by name at Safeway. I walk over there a couple times a day and pass it once or twice or three times on my daily walk (s):



Need to do repairs around the house. Nothing explains what Sherwood is like more than these next two pictures. Home Depot is less than a mile from my house. Right across from Home Depot? The Tualatin River Fish & Wildlife Refuge where you can see almost any type of animal at any time. Rare birds. Deer. You name it. You can walk through the refuge on your own or with a tour. Takes about an hour. It was a little foggy the morning I took the pictures.
If I am interested in seeing a movie, I can walk to the theater. It is on the same lot as Rose's Deli.



After the movie if I need some kind of low end clothes or some appliances or whatever the mood strikes I can walk across Tualatin-Sherwood Road. To Target. By the way Tualatin-Sherwood Road turns into Roy Rogers Road when it crosses 99-W. Named after the famous cowboy? Nope. It is named after a local accountant who served several years on the Washington County Board of Commissioners, he just shares the same name with the cowboy. They named it after the commissioner to honor him for his years of service to the county.



Speaking of Washington County. I live in the outer reaches of Washington County pretty close to where it borders Yamhill County. Mom's assisted living center was in Yamhill County. Yamhill County is also called wine country because of the number of vineyards in Yamhill County. Within twenty miles of my house are maybe fifty to one hundred of vineyards, many with tasting rooms. I don't drink but I do now and then buy wine as a gift. I also love to visit the tasting rooms because the views are so stunning and peaceful. Here is a picture of the Anne Aime Tasting Room and the view from their parking lot.



OK off to read the Sunday paper and the out to brunch with my good friends Ted and Doug. May this be a peaceful day for all of you!

12 comments:

Bev Sykes said...

Your house looks different without the police tape surrounding it. lOL.

William J. said...

Bev

ROFL. Now all these folks are going to get the wrong idea!

(When the Women's Issues Group came to my house on a Sunday morning for the brunch I had a police tape over the garage that said "DANGER MEN COOKING)

Pat said...

I remember that get-together fondly. You were a great host, police tape and all, and the food was excellent. I also remember the area fondly. If I were ever to move, it would be high on my list. Thanks for the virtual tour!

Lady DR said...

How great to see all the pictures and get a better "feel" for where you love. I can see why you've missed being there "full time" while you were caring for Mom. So much within walking distance! Our trade-off for the acres we have is that there's nothing within walking distance, unless you've got a death-wish to walk four miles down State Park Road, which is winding two lane with a 50 mph speed limit and no shoulder. I admire the courage of the mountain bikers who give it a go!

dona said...

Police tape, huh? I knew there was something about Bill that was too good to be true!! LOL :)


I loved all the pics too and how nice too for it all to be in walking distance. So much to be able to walk to I love it.
This town also has no place to walk unless you have eyes in the back of your head and the ability to jump and run. No matter what you have heard..I have neither.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I would love to have you living here. Then we could help each other with our Moms!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi There DR

I also walk to my two banks, to Walgrens, to KFC, Burger King, The Dollar Tree and The Post office! It is one of the reasons I love living here. I'm a huge gas saver with my walking everywhere.

WOW, I'd never walk on a road with no shoulder unless I had to!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Dona

How come it is always the married ladies that think I am to good to be true!! I'm sorry my *friends* out me with the police tape.

I just bet you could out run and jump me!

Bill

Pat said...

Hi again, Bill,

There's an idea. I could move up there with my mom and we could move her into your mom's house and we could share caregivers. I'll keep that in mind as my mom's money dwindles. We all need a fallback plan.

William J. said...

Hi

I love your backup plan!

Bill

Unknown said...

It's lovely where you live. Portland is a new entry on the Monocle's list of Top 25 cities to live in. I can see why now.

William J. said...

Snug!!

So good to see you. Hope things are good with you.

I love Portlannd but am still seriously considering other areas if something happens to Mom.!

Bill