Sunday, October 19, 2008

The Party

The party went fairly well last night. I interacted well with everyone. I did meet a couple of nice single women, a stockbroker and a business owner but they were really to young for me. I did have the underlying feeling that I would have had a lot more fun at the party if I had been with a spouse or a girl friend. I could tell the class has really helped because I was really comfortable introducing myself and going toward people standing on the sidelines to include them.

Dave, the guest of honor, and his wife had a great backyard to have the party. Complete with bar and bartender. Since I don't drink I was an easy customer for the bartender, soda water. There was no tip jar because everything was taken care of the Dave & G. They also catered the party and had some really great food. The gift that Dave's wife gave him for turning 50? A brand new Harley. Wow. Most wives would never give a husband a gift like that, instead being afraid that he would get hurt. The bike is big enough that there is room on the back for G. I just thought it was an unusual gift.

One really sweet and lovely thing happened at the party. I ran into a former client, Kevin & his wife. I haven't seen them since I sold my business. He owns an auto body shop and races cars. She works for the State of Washington. About three years ago he had to put his auto racing career on hold when he was diagnosed with cancer. He told me last night, that three weeks ago they officially told him that he was in remission! For me that was the absolutely best news of the night and made the party even more fun for me.

There was kind of a minor tense situation that involved a former client. A former client from about ten years ago. An exotic dancer. She was referred to me by an attorney that was helping her with both a divorce and a personal injury lawsuit against her employer. However, it really wasn't an employee-employer situation because bars don't pay the dancers, the dancers pay the bars for the opportunity to dance. Then the dancers gave the bars thirty dollars a night for "floor rental." The dancers make all their money from tips. They make pretty good money, then it was about a hundred dollars a night. It is real common for dancers not to file tax returns. However, when they are involved in lawsuits they will always get a question, "have you filed your income taxes?," and if the answer is no it usually results in the loss of the lawsuit. The attorney hired me to file her tax returns for several back years so the answer to that question was yes. We won the lawsuit which included money for education for her. Portland is sometimes a small city and she was at the party last night with her new husband. She recognized me and I could tell she was worried that I would "out" her, which of course I would never do. I mean her husband was treating her with a tremendous amount of respect and she was obviously enjoying being loved, why in the world would anyone want to interfere with two people so much in love? Other than introducing myself to her and her husband in the fashion that I didn't have a clue who she was I pretty much avoided her. She said she was a neighbor of Dave. So she is now living in a ritzy area with a man that loves her. I didn't really know how to handle the situation, after introducing myself I pretty much avoided her. She pretty much clung to her husband, she was never alone enough for me to put her mind at ease that her secret was safe. What would you have done?

It was an interesting night. Hope this is a great day for you!

11 comments:

Mary Z said...

Sounds like the party was a success and that you did very well.

I'm sure the meeting with your former client was a tense moment for her. I think you handled it quite well. Obviously, if you were going to "out" her, you could've done it immediately, and once you didn't do that, she should've been more at ease. But I hope she has made her husband aware of her former life - constantly living with that sort of deception would have to be terribly difficult.

Anyway, I'm glad your classes have given you more confidence in that sort of situation. You don't have to have a great time in all social situations. And, as you noted, parties are usually more fun if you go with a partner.

Pat said...

Again, what Mary Z said. Commenting here is getting pretty easy, since I can just echo her.

I think you handled the situation well. I might have said to her, "Didn't I do your taxes one year?" so you didn't have to pretend to have never seen her before, but it was probably best your way. I agree that she should have relaxed after the first encounter. I pity her if she's keeping her husband in the dark, but of course she knows him better than I do.

Mary Z said...

pat, it's only because I got here first. 8^)

Or, I could say - great minds think alike.

Lady DR said...

Good job on the party and feeling comfortable. Hey, I thought there was no such thing as "too young," at least to have a good time and get started (grin). How great you were comfortable introducing yourself to folks you didn't know.

You're right, most wives wouldn't present hubby with a Harley, but since she had sense enough to be sure there was a seat for her...

What great news about Kevin being in remission. I can see where that would have made the evening a real plus for you.

Interesting about the former client. Sounds like you handled it very well. Like the others, I sure hope she's let her husband in on her former life. I can't imagine keeping that kind of secret buried for very long or living in fear it would come out. I'm glad you were able to help her out with prior taxes and glad you found you were comfortable dealing with a situation that could have been sticky. You've come a long way, Baby!

William J. said...

Hi Mary Z!

I did enjoy the party.

I don't think she has told her husband, just a feeling, but maybe running into me last night will motivate her to do that.

Two more classes to go!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

You and Mary Z are smart women!

I think if I had even mentioned there was a chance that I knew her it would have caused her a heart attack. Plus for me there are some ethical considerations.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

If they are young enough for me to adopt they are to young for me.

Kevin being in remission was the highlight of the party for me. I bought two cards to send after the party. A thank you for the host and a congratulations card for Kevin.

I really have come a long ways in six short weeks.

Bill

Kaye R said...

YAY!! I knew you'd have a good time! You handled the prior cliet situation just fine. Better than fine... with aplumbe! (did I spell that right?) lol

And you have come a long way in six short weeks. I'm so proud of you!!

You were meant to go to this party... good news from Kevin, refreshed connections with those you haven't seen in awhile... it was all good :)

William J. said...

Hi Kaye

Thank you for the nice compliment about how I handled the situation. And I do think you spelled the word right!

Thanks for being proud of me!

Bill

Mary Z said...

Hate to be picky, but I think you mean "aplomb". 8^)

Kaye R said...

Thank you Mary... I knew it didn't look right!