Sunday, October 26, 2008

A Week In Review - A Proud Mom.

Let's get the Mom stuff out of the way first. Lady Dr. there was still a lot of Mom stuff this week but not as much as last week so I am improving. Monday I took mom to the library, she already finished the four books we checked out last week, Tuesday we went to lunch, Thursday I did her grocery shopping, Friday I took her to the doctor for her six month checkup, and yesterday we went to lunch again. What really struck home this week is how proud my Mom is of me for taking the comedy class. The last time I remember Mom being this proud of me is when I won the Helen Keller award for charity work. After I sold my business the first time I donated my time to charity. I raised money to buy shoes for poor grade school kids, did a toy drive for the children's hospital, did another toy drive for one of the local abused women and children's shelter and spent time at a cancer research center that was investigating a cure for breast cancer. While it is really wonderful to have a parent proud of something that I've done, the way my mom does it is also very embarrassing because no matter what anyone says to her, the first answer is "my son." For instance, "This is the King City Police Department, the city is being overrun by locusts and if you don't evacuate your house in five minutes there will be certain death." "Did you know my son won the. " For two years after I won that award that is how my Mom was. I used to have dreams that I ended up standing at the North Pole when a dog sled came screeching to a halt, an Eskimo would get out and say "Aw, you the one. You won the. " Now, "My son won the " has been replaced by "My son is taking a comedy class." Friday when Mom came out of her doctor's appointment I asked what the doctor had to say, Mom said "I think Dr. B is interested in taking the comedy class." Huh? "I told her you were taking a comedy class to gain confidence and get over shyness. She wanted to know all about it. She thought it was neat that you recognized a weakness and wanted to improve yourself." I'm kind of stunned, I mean how does a conversation like that come up between a doctor and a Mom anyhow? "You need to strengthen your blood pressure medication." "My son is taking a." Now let us move ahead to the lunch on Saturday. A really nice couple with a young daughter was sitting next to us. I was kind of curious what kind of soup the lady had ordered so we struck up a conversation with them. Within seconds my mom said "I have to tell you my son is taking a comedy class." I've heard rumors now that there is a mass mailing going out this week so I want to apologize to the person in Outer Mongolia that is probably going to receive my picture from Mom with a note "this is my son, he is taking a."

On to the rest of the week. On Monday at my request I had lunch with the two fellows that bought my business. I wanted to be released out of one of the terms of the sales agreement. I had agreed basically to be on call for them seven days a week, so if a former client requested me to be at the interview between them and the new guys I would be able to do that. This resulted in making myself available all week for maybe 15 to 20 hours of work. This year during tax season I would like a lot more hours of work then that. Like the rest of the world I've taken a bit of a hit on my mutual funds and would like to recover some of the loss through work. We agreed that if I would make myself available to them to do some corporate returns then I could be free to explore other per diem work. Now I am doing a resume to send out to firms in a couple of cities for tax season support work. Tax season support work usually last ten weeks, from February 1 to April 15th. Right now with my care giving responsibilities the most time that I could get away from Portland is seven to ten days. Sis and her husband are considering moving here in January which would free me up to go to another city for ten weeks. Per diem pay in the LA area is twice what it is in Portland. Working in another city may be a pipe dream but I like to dream. At minimum I know I can get a job in the Portland area. That is more of a reality than a dream.

Wednesday I had lunch with Al. Also as part of the sales agreement I was allowed to keep five corporate clients. I kept the clients that had sold their businesses in 2008. Sales of businesses usually result in some very intricate transactions that have to be reported a certain way on the tax returns or the client ends up owing more than he should. Usually the best accountant to prepare the tax return of the sold business is the one that worked on the sales agreement. Al was the sole owner of a convenience store until this last September when he sold it for an astounding price. Their business year end is September 30. The purpose of the lunch was for me to pick up his books. Now on my to do list is the company's tax return. By the way Al is the one that I went to the Nike shareholder meeting with. He is a great guy and I always enjoy his company.

I'm really looking forward to next week and I will be reporting on the week ahead tomorrow.

What was your week like last week? What does the week on the horizon look like for you?

18 comments:

Lady DR said...

Yup, you still had a lot of Mom stuff. I had it easy there. Have to laugh at the story about "My son did..." Enjoy it, Bill. Too many adult children never hear anything like this.

Good job on looking around for options for tax season. So, uh, Sis is due to move to OR in January, eh? Funny, that. So's my youngest sis - uh, to SC. She says. Are you taking any odds?

My week? Started out delightful, kinda hit the skids, ended OK. Lunch with the gal who used to teach the guitar classes at FUlir and lots of catchng up to do. Good fun. Tuesday did the line dance exhibition for the ARP church conference. What was to be 30minutes stretched to 90 minutes of a great deal of fun, as we got the audience involved. Weds AM, woke up with eye swollen shut, hurt like sixty, blurred vision. Finally called optho. Use drops, lay down, do not open eyes for two hours. (Now, I'm all for meditation and quiet time, but...) Didn't help. Do more drops, eyes closed until I could see her at 4:30. I'm out of meditative material, so "practice" guitar chords and line dance routines mentally. She decides I somehow "propped" my eye open during the night & it totally dried out. More drops and ointment. Thursday I could see prettty well and worked. Friday I went in for my already scheduled annual eye exam and spent the entire afternoon, since they couldn't get the eyesight where it should be and I swear I had every optho test known, eyes numbed twice, dilated three times, irrigated... They finally decided it was a "hangover" from the dry eye thing. Meantime, I'm a little stressed as I know from experience and observation they're putting me through all the tests for macular degeneration, among other thngs. All seems better now. If the vision is totally clear in a week, back I go. Saturday, took Mom to brunch buffet, then we went to the Hills Skills craft show at the expo center and then did groceries. Found some time to putz with the latest prayer shawl, which is going to be a creative challenge, as I'm determined to use my yarn stash and it's obviously going to take more than the pattern said, so that means calculating how much yarn I really need and figuring out how to incorporate a new color pattern, but it'll be fun.

Next week -- Mom time will be the retina spec on Monday, blood tests on Wednesday, she wants a haircut and standard grocery trip, then move furniture and clean and set up her Christmas tree next weekend. My time will be getting to the pool regularly and making up the missed editorial hours on the analysis of a historical romance from the past week!
(Why does this feel like a check-in? (g))

Kaye R said...

lol @ check in!

I've had a good week. Things at work have setteled down. My backlog of "stuff" is unbacklogging, didn't have to go out to Mothers and the caretaker has been banking hours since she will be taking off next week to help relatives outside of Houston rebuild after Ike hit last month. So Tuesday will be my day to Mommy sit next week.

Other than that, next week should be just another week. Oh, I did promise DR that I would check out a honky tonk here for possible line dance lessons. That would be Thursday. Don't let me chicken out!

Pat said...

Did you notice that your only mom-free day was Wednesday? Just asking. The "my son did..." stuff is very funny. You should be happy that she's proud of you, even though it's probably embarrassing.

Hmmm... so you want more work? Want to do my taxes again? HA! Thought you could weasel out of doing them by selling your business, did you?

My week was so forgettable that I can't tell you what I did, except for visiting my mom. And except for today. Went to lunch and to a play with two friends, which made for a very nice day. Off to visit mom this evening, and staffer Rebecca and I will hash over the Propositions on the ballot some more. It's her first year voting and she's being super-conscientious about it all. Me? I'm still perplexed about a couple of them, so will probably either abstain or vote no if it costs the state a lot of money.

Lady DR said...

C'mon, Kaye, I'm counting on you giving the honky-tonk a try. Bill went to comedy class and I did a LD exhibition, so it's obviously your turn to get out of your comfort zone and see what happens. Glad to hear you had a great week and next week sounds promising. Bill, is it "legal" to ask you to post a question for Kaye on Thursday, just to remind her (grin)?

Pat, sounds like you had a lovely day. And I hear you on hashing out stuff on the ballot. It would be helpful if folks here were posting anything informative about state and local elections and issues, but so far nothing. Mom says that even on TV, all she's seeing are ads and such for NC, not SC. This whole election thing is very strange, given we've got several up for re-election or replacement at the local and state level, yet nothing to give us a clue about any of them.

William J. said...

Hi DR

The mom stuff was one day less then last week. This week we are downsizing one more day. I am glad my mom is proud of me I just think it is a tad weird that the comedy class but one of the two times she was the most proud of me.

I need to make a little more money then I did last season and tying up seven days a week for 15 hours is just madness. So I asked for a change.

I really don't think my sis will move here in January she has been talking about moving hear for a couple of years. I will believe it when I see the whites of their eyes.

I actually think there is a better chance of your sister making to S.C. then mine to Oregon.

Every time you mention the line dance exhibition I smile.

Ouch about your eye problems. That had to be scary, glad the eyes started getting better Thursday. I'm glad it wasn't md and that all
is better now. I will keep praying that things will be totally heal promptly!

Remember you promised to let me know how your mom's appointment with the eye doctor tomorrow goes.

Good check-in.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Kaye

You better not chicken out about the line dancing class or I will be on the plane to Austin to have a nice little chat with you!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I did notice only one mom free day. There will be at least two this week! I am very happy my mom is proud of me and I love her for it. I just wish she wouldn't be so vocal about it!

I would love to do your return, however, the firm only released me to do per diem work which doesn't result in direct client contact and I'm under contract not to directly contact the client. However, if sis does move here and I do get an LA assignment then I am free agent and we can even get together to do your return!

What play? I love theatre.
Interesting you mentioned going over the measures with you friend. That is exactly what mom and I did today. We also voted.

Bill

PS

The tuff is back ordered but we should have it by next week. Agreement also hasn't been signed yet.

William J. said...

Hi again DR

Legal or not I will post a question to Kaye on Thursday!

Bill

Mary said...

Ooh, you're looking for work? Come work for me! I would so love to have your sense of humor and knowledge in my office! Though I'm guessing you could make a whole lot more money in LA.

I am also looking at the future. I'm pretty sure this is my last year as manager. I have a non-compete clause in my contract, though they never enforce it. I'm thinking I'll stay with the company, but just do taxes. Less stress, and I might even make more money.

William J. said...

MARY!!!

So nice to see you post again! I never considered Seattle but you know I think maybe I should.

Have you considered going out on your own? I think you would draw clients to you and would never hurt for work. You could even work out of your home!

Keep me up on what is going on with the job and other aspects of your life!

Bill

Mary said...

Every year at this time I think about going out on my own. But at this point in my life, I kind of think I like letting someone else worry about the details. I wouldn't be able to take any of my clients with me, of course, so would have to start over from scratch. I dunno. One of these days. Why don't you come set up a practice here and I'll work for you?

William J. said...

Hi Mary

I think the way non-competes work is they can't keep a client going from where they want but they can keep you from soliciting them. So if they find out where you are from someone else you can get the clients.

My starting business days are over unless something drastic happens.

Bill

Pat said...

The play was "Mary's Wedding", a two-character play that covered a couple's meeting, letters from the front in WWI, and an ending that was sad but uplifting. Nicely done in our local professional theater, with a set that I should have taken pictures of.

Bummer about your contract. I'll use your guys, but count on you to keep an eyeball on them for me, okay?

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I love local theatre. "Mary's Wedding" sounds exactly like the type of that I would love.

Of course I will watch out for you with the new guys and if they break their contract then all bets are off and I won't honor their agreement.

Bill

Lady DR said...

I hear you on the doubts about your sis. Let's just say I'm not taking any odds on this side of the country.

Hope you get everything worked out to your satisfaction on the tax thing. Working smarter, not harder, is always a good thing.

Yeah, the eye bit was scarey for me. I'm giving it a week, as she said, to all settle down and hoping we're back to normal.

Will send details in an email, but the bottom line is the avatin shot in the right eye brought the vision up from 20/60 to 20/40, so it's helping and we're half way to where she was. We see the doc again in 2-1/2 weeks to see where both eyes are at, in terms of vision and bleeding, as she had the injection in the left eye today.

William J. said...

Hi Dr

Sis being here would free me up in so many ways!

I'm just going to work per diem as many hours as I can for the ten weeks and make as much money as I can in a short period of time. That is what I see this tax season.

Please keep us up to date on how your eye is coming along.

YEA! Good news about your mom! Will keep praying that it goes from half there to all the way there.

Bill

Kaye R said...

(gulp)

William J. said...

Kaye

Don't worry we are you friends whether you go or not!

Bill