Monday, February 2, 2009

Commercials And More

It really was a Super Sunday. I had Mom and her caregiver over to my house for a small party. I made some snacks and small sandwiches. It was a really great time. Mom was the best she has been in a long time. She loved being at my house, playing games, watching the Super Bowl, snacking. She never once got antzy. After three hours neither her or the caregiver wanted to leave but they had to leave to get to evening church services. It was really a great positive experience to end the phase of spending a lot of time with Mom to transitioning to my job and a temporary withddrawal from Mom.

Super Sunday is so much more than football. Yes football is the centerpiece and it was one of the best games in the history of the Super Bowl with the Piitsburgh Steelers scoring a touchdown with thirty-five seconds left in the game to beat my Arizona Cardinals 27-23. The Cards were doomed when I picked them to win. Besides football the day was about honoring and the tremendous ovation of the crew of Flight 1549. It was a coming out party after an terrible tragedy and a tremendous ovation for Jennifer Hudson who sang an absolutely beautiful version of the national anthem. It was the Boss at halftime, Bruce Springstein rocking on stage. And of course the day was about commericals.

First let's get the worst commercials out of the way. Godaddy.com had extreme sexiest commercials that made me shaking my head wondering if anyone at that company looked at the commercials before letting them air. The worst was the one about an enhancement hearing where big breased women testify that they weren't enhanced, except for the last one who admits it. What this had to do with the services that Godaddy.com offer is beyond me. Another sexiest one shows an average looking woman receiving flowers that aren't that pretty and someone telling the woman that "no one wants to see you naked." Come on Teleflora, you can do better than that.

There were a couple of commercials that showed the signs of the times. A really good Bud Light commerical showed a meeting of executives in a corporate board room talking about eliminating bonuses. Well done. Priceline.com had a commercial about the bad economy with William Shatner.

There were also take offs of famous commericals. One famous Super Bowl Commercial. One currently famous commercial. One of the most famous commericals in Super Bowl History is when Mean Joe Greene of The Pittsburgh Steelers and a little boy are in the locker room and after the boy offers Greene a soft drink, Greene throws him a jersey. Coca Cola did a really funny take off on the commerical. The take off on the currently famous commercial was a commercial for The Conan O'Brian show, which among other things shows Tina Fey saying "if you have a Conan for more than three hours, call your doctor." I have to tell you while the Conan O'Brian commercial was funny the commercial that it was a take off on drives me nuts. I mean come on people no man in his right mind is going to call a doctor if he has one of those things for more than four hours. I'm not calling a doctor, I'm calling a P. R. firm and a photographer.

Other commericals that were interesting but maybe not my favorites were: Careebuilder.com's hate going to work; H & R Block's Grim Reaper (death is coming to someone that missed out on deductions that H & Block found); SoBe.Com guys at first doing ballet to Swan Laker transforming in to rock dancers; Cars.Com had amazing man Dave Abernathy doing amazing things like telling the doctor when he was born that he did a nice job, being dean at an Ivy League school at 18. While Dave had a ton of confidence in anything that he did, he had none when he went to buy a car; Doritos had a physical one where an employee throws a ball and hits his boss in the groin, another employee saying "promotion is not in your future."; E-trade's commercial with two babies was well done as were Hyundai Genesis commericials, Subway's five dollar footlong one, Gastrol Edge's grease monkey one, some of the Bridgestone Commericals, and a few of the Pepsi commercials.

My favorite commercials aren't going to rank high with others because I'm wired a little differently. My second favorite commercial was a McDonald's ad, where a little girl gets a penny from her hiding place, goes to a McDonalds and donates it to the Ronald McDonald House. My favorite commerical was a Bud Light commerical called "horse love", where a white horse is taken away from her Romeo to perform in the circus. Romeo escapes goes to the circus to rescue her and they ran off together.

How was your Sunday? What are some of your favorite and least favorite commericals? They don't have to be Super Bowl commericals, they can be any commercials. If you were to write a commerical about yourself what would you highlight?

May the day after Super Sunday be a Super Monday for you.

8 comments:

Pat said...

I missed it all (big surprise!), so thanks for the recap. I guess it's considered a good game if it's exciting at the end, right? [g]

My Sunday was much like any other Sunday when I have nothing planned. Did some reading and some laundry, visited with mom, trip to the market, big whoop.

I rarely watch commercials at all. I surf over to the Food Channel to see what's cooking there (pardon the pun). But I do like the Geico gecko.

Oh, and PS: I can only shake my head at those "more then 4 hours" commercials. But what I'm getting even more tired of is a radio commercial for "Beta Prostate" something or other vitamins. Will solve everyman's problem forever if taken. Day and night, that commercial is run, over and over and over and... well, you get the picture. First, I doubt if the prep does anything at all, and second, I am really prostated out and could recite the !@##$ commercial myself, in my sleep. Enough, already!

Lady DR said...

Okay, most important question first: How did the first day on the job go?Do you have a comfort level with it yet or too soon to tell?

As to SB Sunday -- we actually sat down and watched the game, enjoying a pizza in the LR (watching TV and eating in the LR - unheard of!) It really was a good game. I think AZ lost it on penalties and the yardage and first downs they gave up as a result, but it was good. Spook was really "spooked," becaue (a) "Mom" rearely watches TV and (b) she doesn't normally yell (g). Shouted directives, such as, "Stop him!" and "Get him!" rather unnerved her.

Like you, I thought the Godaddy.com commercials were a bit over the top. I have no idea what the site is about, but the commercials were enough to guarantee I'd not go there. Most of the commercials I missed, as that's my cue to either go to the bathroom or for Himself to mute the TV and me to crochet, so I really can't comment on the others, although I did catch the one with the circus horse, which I thought was kinda cute.

Commercials are one of the primary reasons I don't watch TV. If I have to pay for cable connection, then I'd as soon not have half the program time eaten with commercial breaks (and, yes, I've timed them, when I was watching country music awards or something that's been highly recommended that we get on our basic cable channels). My memory may be faulty, but I don't recall us having near as much commercial time in "a previous life" when all we had was an antenna and maybe three or four channels with Hit Parade and Tn Ernie Ford and the like. I resent having to pay extra to watch tastless ads. (Shrug)

Mary said...

My favorite was the horses in love one too, and I did get a big kick out of the Death and Taxes one. Can't imagine why. Heh.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

This was the on Super Sunday that even not football fans would have enjoyed. Jennifer Hudson's moment was very emotional and touching.

Yes, if the outcome of the game is not decided until the game is in the last seconds of the game it is a good game. There were 35 seconds left, win the winning team scored.

Sometimes the normal errand we run are exciting! Or sometimes the first day on a job can be exciting.

Geico ads are well done. I usually don't watch commercials either but Super Bowl Sunday sort of has become famous for them.

I hate those Beta prostate commercials too.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Dr

I will post more about the first day on the job tomorrow, see followup post, and know I'm resting comfortable today looking for signs of a more serious concussion.

Sounds like a fun day! And you are right Arizona did lose it on the penalties and one dramatic interception at the end of the first half.

Your Mom's reaction just confirms what I told Pat, this was one Super Sunday that even non football fans would enjoy! I love the picture of her yelling.

Commericials are also one of the reasons I never go early to the movies. Before the previews they have commerical after commercial, pay nine bucks for the privlege of watching commercials, not thank you.

And there never used to be so many commercials, you are right about that.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Mary

We had the same favorite commercials!

For the life of me I just can't understand why you like the death and taxes one!

Bill

Lady DR said...

Uh, just for the record, it wasn't my mom yelling, it was Moi, Spook's mom. Me in front of the TV was confusing enough. Me yelling at the TV was beyond her comprehension.

William J. said...

Hi Dr

Even better, you yelling is even better!

Bill